Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, i52500k, Rad HD 6850, Lion/SnoLe

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 REV 1.0 BIOS: F5
VID: No video card, using Integrated VGA for installation and later on-board HDMI to TV
MEM: ADATA 2x4 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 (WHICH IS BEING DETECTED AS 1333 MHZ INSTEAD OF 1600 MHZ AND THAT ALSO BUGS ME)
HD: 80GB spare notebook HD for the moment, will buy a 1TB soon
DVD: LiteOn 24x DVD/CD Writer internal

1) Waited to load iBoot
2) Ejected iBoot CD and inserted MacOS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Install DVD
3) Pressed F5 to reload
4) Booted MacOS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Install DVD
5) Installed MacOS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard smoothly
6) Booted up 10.6.3 with iBoot
---
7) CAN'T FIND A WAY TO SUCCESSFULLY UPDATE TO 10.6.8 FROM 10.6.3 I'VE DONE EVERYTHING
8) THIS METHOD SEEM NOT TO BE WORKING WITH ME FOR SOME REASON
---
BIOS WAS UPDATED TO F5
AHCI ENABLED, 64 BIT HPET, BOOT PRIORITIES TOO.

I'VE TRIED MAC OS X 10.6.8 HELPER AND NO SUCCESS...

I'VE BEEN DOING ALL POSSIBLE COMBINATION FOR 12 HRS NOW AND MY BRAIN IS FRIED UP (AND PROBABLY NOW MY COMPUTER TOO FROM ALL THIS BATTLE)...

CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME A LITTLE BIT. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME READING MY TROUBLE. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Re: [SUCCESS] GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, i5-2500k, Radeon HD 6850, SSD

My Ram does the same I believe that is the basic highest default speed (was debating on trying to OC my ram to 1600 as well).

Sorry to hear about the troubles on it. I'd step away a bit come back and start over.

If your anything like me (and been working on this all damn night) your eyes are a looking like this :crazy:

In my experience, the onboard graphics don't work for me. I had to buy a cheap discrete gpu. After getting the vid card and using the vga port, my rig wouldn't stall after 10.6.8 update. Did you remove the kext file before the update?

Re: PLEASE

starkerkrieger said:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2400
I'VE TRIED MAC OS X 10.6.8 HELPER AND NO SUCCESS...

I'VE BEEN DOING ALL POSSIBLE COMBINATION FOR 12 HRS NOW AND MY BRAIN IS FRIED UP (AND PROBABLY NOW MY COMPUTER TOO FROM ALL THIS BATTLE)...

CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME A LITTLE BIT. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME READING MY TROUBLE. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

A few things come to mind.
1. What happens when you try to install 10.6.8? Does it error, does it complete? Are you still able to boot into 10.6.3?

2. In the BIOS, there are 2 places on the same page for AHCI. Be sure they are both set, if you don't get both I don't think it will work.

3. Try re-downloading 10.6.8 Combo update (You are using the COMBO update right? NOT the built in Software update!) Also, try re-downloading the 10.6.8 helper.

4. BE SURE that after running the 10.6.8 helper, that you REBOOT before trying to install the combo update. After running the combo update, DONT reboot until you finish the rest of the steps.

5. Try using the previous version of Multibeast (3.7.2). That's the version I used for this install. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but make sure it looks identical to what I have in the picture.

6. If all else fails, try try again. It took me 5 tries to get it right. FIVE. That's why I wrote this. Granted, I was doing it wrong those 5 times.....

Onboard video worked fine for me btw.

Good luck!! Grab some coffee and give it another go! You WILL figure it out!

cteets said:
My Ram does the same I believe that is the basic highest default speed (was debating on trying to OC my ram to 1600 as well).

Sorry to hear about the troubles on it. I'd step away a bit come back and start over.

If your anything like me (and been working on this all damn night) your eyes are a looking like this :crazy:

I have the same issue. Must be something wonkee with the Gigabyte bios and these chips. I was successfully able to 'overclock' my memory to the correct speed (1600) and BOY what a boost! I also put my processor speed up to 4.0Ghz.
Screen shot 2011-07-16 at 10.08.38 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-16 at 10.12.02 AM.png

As to the BIOS version. I had no luck with version 4 and the version 4 DSDT so I upgraded to version 5. If you need the version 5 flash, I have attached it. Be sure to unzip it FIRST! I had to use Windows to extract it. Put it on a flash drive, then hit (F9? I think?) at boot to flash the BIOS to Version 5. Use the Version 5 DSDT found at the downloads page. Be sure to RENAME it DSDT.aml, then put it on your Desktop before using Multibeast.

z8mxud2h.f5.zip

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-16 at 10.08.38 AM.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Screen shot 2011-07-16 at 10.12.02 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-16 at 10.12.02 AM.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 305
  • z8mxud2h.f5.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 80

I'm having *success* - after reinstalling my graphics card (XFX Radeon 6870) OS X loads, but te screen goes black when going from the white apple load screen to the login screen. My monitor starts searching for inputs meaning the signal has stopped being sent from the card.

Any ideas? I think I'm close... just need to get over this last hurdle. Any help would be appreciated!

brendo234 said:
I'm having *success* - after reinstalling my graphics card (XFX Radeon 6870) OS X loads, but te screen goes black when going from the white apple load screen to the login screen. My monitor starts searching for inputs meaning the signal has stopped being sent from the card.

Any ideas? I think I'm close... just need to get over this last hurdle. Any help would be appreciated!

Yes!
Only Displayport and 1 of the 2 DVI ports worked out of box for me. So, if you are plugged into HDMI, unplug and use a different port. That card comes with 4: 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 Display port. While it's still booted up, use a different port and change the input on your monitor. It should work. The DVI port that works for me is the one next to the HDMI and Display ports.

Of note, I have wifi working now. I updated the first post on how to do this.

My Overclock Settings
First and foremost, with the exception of the memory which for some reason was running slower than it should have, overclocking should be done with extreme caution and at your own risk. You CAN really mess things up and kill your processor. I can't promise you that these are the best or even good settings. I just know they work for me.

I am using a Cool Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler Don't try this without a nice cooler.

Here is my geekbench score:

And here are my BIOS V5 settings.

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-16 at 10.08.38 AM.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 307

I asked a guy in the gaming organization I game with about this processor. He is an engineer for Intel, and does alot of the testing. He said he would not overclock it over 4.0 GHz. It certainly can be, however it can affect the expected life of the chip.

cteets said:
I asked a guy in the gaming organization I game with about this processor. He is an engineer for Intel, and does alot of the testing. He said he would not overclock it over 4.0 GHz. It certainly can be, however it can affect the expected life of the chip.

Yes it can lessen the life of the chip but that is over years and years. Most folks upgrade their CPUs after 2-4 years. Overclocking, safely, may not affect it noticeably especially if you get a new CPU after a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back