Mid-tower: Cooler Master Praetorian PAC-T01-E1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119029

PSU: Antec 550W Continuous Power

HDD: Samsung 500 Gig Hd
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00187WT44/

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTM3NDgwNzM

Comments

I want to say thanks to Randactyl for putting together his excellent guide which I used. While my System is working there are still a couple of issues.

?* Desktop does not come up unless I put the system into sleep mode first.
( LCD is connected to the DVI port.)
?* Resolution changes will cause the display to turn blue, requiring a restart to the computer, sleep option does not fix it.)
* Using HDMI with a HDTV does not boot to the desktop. Sleep option does not fix.

I’ve tried using the Mac Mini System definition and have added the 64-bit Apple Boot Screen boot options. If anyone has any suggestions for getting my System working with the Integrated Graphics HD3000 / HDMI without having to press the power button that would be great.

Do I need to upgrade to Lion to resolve the graphics issues??

Installation Procedure: by Randactyl (similar to the [url]official tonymacx86 Installation Guide for Snow Leopard[/url])

Preliminary:

Download and burn iBoot to disc.
Download MultiBeast.
Download UpdateHelper.
Download Mac OS X 10.6.8 Combo Update.
Download our DSDT from the DSDT Database.
Remove any extra RAM so there is only 4GB max.

Part 1: BIOS Settings

1. Flash BIOS ver. F4 if it is not currently that version.
2. Set Advanced BIOS Features/Hard Disk Boot Priority to boot from your destination drive first.
3. Set Advanced BIOS Features/First Boot Device to CDROM.
4. Set Advanced BIOS Features/Second Boot Device to Hard Disk.
5. Set Advanced BIOS Features/Init Display First to Onboard.
6. Set Advanced BIOS Features/Onboard VGA to Auto.
7. Set Integrated Peripherals/PCH SATA Control Mode to AHCI.
8. Set Power Management Setup/HPET Mode to 64-bit mode.
9. Press F10 to save and exit.

Part 2: Install Mac OS X

1. Place iBoot in your CD/DVD drive during the BIOS startup screens.
- if the "Loading Operating System" screen does not seem to pick up the disc in the drive, restart your computer.
2. At the boot prompt, eject iBoot.
3. Place your retail Snow Leopard Install DVD into the drive and press F5.
4. Press Enter on the Mac OS X Install DVD icon when it appears to begin installation.
5. After the installation screen appears, open Utilities/Disk Utility.
6. Partition your destination hard drive to the GUID Partition Table, Mac OS X Extended (Journaled), and with the name Snow Leopard. You can rename it later.
- NOTE: The destination partition must be 1TB or less in order to boot.
7. Close Disk Utility.
8. Choose Snow Leopard when the installer asks for your destination drive.
9. Click Customize to choose which extra features to install.
10. Install Snow Leopard.
11. Restart the computer when the installation finishes.
12. Place iBoot back in the drive.
13. Choose the Snow Leopard icon.

Part 3: Post Install

1. Run Update Helper, install to its default location.
2. Restart computer, boot with iBoot.
3. Place your DSDT file on the desktop and rename it to DSDT.aml
4. Open MultiBeast.
5. Open and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Combo Update.
*DO NOT REBOOT AFTER INSTALLATION.
6. Run MultiBeast, choosing only the UserDSDT option.
- NOTE: If Installer unexpectedly quits, reopen Multibeast and repeat step 6.
7. Restart computer.
8. Change your BIOS settings to match these:
- Advanced BIOS Features/First Boot Device to Hard Disk.
- Advanced BIOS Features/Second Boot Device to CDROM.
9. Press F10 to save and exit.

Your system should now boot into System 10.6.8.

Wanted to say I had the same issue but I had disabled sleep entirely so I couldn't get to desktop at all.

Boot: GraphicsEnabler=No

That will make it work at crap resolution. Now install Lion and it will have native integrated support. It glitched on me after I used the DSDT, but a reboot later its magically fixed.

Hope that helps!

(You posted the issue in another thread and I sent you a PM as well, but you never responded)

Winnah, thanks for the tip. I ended up installing Lion (10.7) now my system boots all the way to the desktop with video. My next step now is to get HDMI enabled.

I have this same board and processor (bios f9). I managed to get almost everything working (note that I had to boot with PCIRootUID=0 or it would always hang, added this to my plist at boot).
My only issue is that I am only getting 1024X768 graphics. I ran multi beast again and chose the mac mini, but still no better graphics. I am running this machine mainly as a server so graphics is not a big deal, would just like to get it working.

zdman said:
I have this same board and processor (bios f9). I managed to get almost everything working (note that I had to boot with PCIRootUID=0 or it would always hang, added this to my plist at boot).
My only issue is that I am only getting 1024X768 graphics. I ran multi beast again and chose the mac mini, but still no better graphics. I am running this machine mainly as a server so graphics is not a big deal, would just like to get it working.

What are your full system specs? I just built a system with the same motherboard/cpu and it was painless...no boot flags needed. The only issue I had was I initially tried to install using my tv as the monitor through the HDMI and I could never get to the install screens. Using the DVI hooked up to a normal monitor worked fine though. After running multibeast, etc. I can hook it back up to the tv via hdmi.

Hi WFJ,
I have added my full specs to the signature.
The Gigabyte board is the latest version with updated firmware.
One point, I see you have an external card on your machine. I do not. Also, I was booting with a VGA monitor hooked up only, not sure if that would be causing the issue or not. Now I am running headless as I am just using the machine as a server and it sits in my closet.

By the way, I also had to use EFI studio to add a string for my built in ethernet card. Without this, I could not get the App Store to recognize my machine as a valid Mac. I needed this so I could download and install the Lion Server app.

zdman said:
Hi WFJ,
I have added my full specs to the signature.
The Gigabyte board is the latest version with updated firmware.
One point, I see you have an external card on your machine. I do not. Also, I was booting with a VGA monitor hooked up only, not sure if that would be causing the issue or not. Now I am running headless as I am just using the machine as a server and it sits in my closet.
Use Lion and HDMI/DVI port.

OS X doesn't not recognize mobo HD 3000 VGA. If your monitor only has a VGA connection, either get a DVI to VGA adapter cable from monoprice.com or get a new monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back