Contribute
Register

[Success] Fresh install of 10.15.2 on Z170X-UD5 TH and RX 5700XT with OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of, yes, however I use OC and not Clover. Will give the BIOS update new attempt soon! :)

Most likely your ACPI tables have changed. I would dump fresh tables and use SSDT-Time to make fresh SSDT tables. About MSR I thought Gigabyte generally allowed unlock capabilities builtin to the bios by default?

Edit: I went trough most of (if not all?) of the recommended bios settings from OC guide as you said (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/), and I disabled MSR (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/extras/msr-lock.html) with kernel quirks and was able to boot into MacOS! Haven't checked performance etc but this is much better than last attempt. I guess it will be some trial and error testing before this works as earlier. As of now I get a black screen for like 10s before i can see the login screen and after login there are some strange graphics, but it seems normal after 10-15s.

Gave it a shot now. F22g BIOS. Does this make any sense to you?

See attached picture. This is last visible info before kernel panic.

Most likely your ACPI tables have changed. I would dump fresh tables and use SSDT-Time to make fresh SSDT tables. About MSR I thought Gigabyte generally allowed unlock capabilities builtin to the bios by default?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 20.52.28.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 20.52.28.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
What OC version? Would try the 5.8 beta or the NDK fork, and even start over. Can share my config.plist later if you want.

I'm using OC 0.57.

The only issue seem to be the CFG-Lock. I can boot if I enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Disabling CFG-Lock manually does not work.

So instead of doing that, I checked tested the VerifyMsrE2.efi file to check whether I can disable CFG-Lock or not. This file give me some strange output (shown in picture). According to the output some values are not the same. According to the OC Configuration PDF (read up on the text for AppleCpuPmCfgLock) this is sometimes the case. Wrong or not wrong, I cannot say, but it works now.

I followed the steps outlined in the OC guide to see what happend, but it did not work on the first tries. According to this thread it should work, so I did some reboots and finally it seem to work without the quriks too!

What OC version? Would try the 5.8 beta or the NDK fork, and even start over. Can share my config.plist later if you want.

Attachments

• VerifyMsrE2.efi.png
    VerifyMsrE2.efi.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:
So your saying despite turning off cfg-lock in bios Opencore thinks its enabled? If so reset cmos and try the 5.8 version. Thats weird. Thought Gigabyte boards were hackintosh friendly.

There are some strangeness here I dont understand, but after some "magical" reboots everything works and seem to be just as normal as it was with the F5 BIOS.

So your saying despite turning off cfg-lock in bios Opencore thinks its enabled? If so reset cmos and try the 5.8 version. Thats weird. Thought Gigabyte boards were hackintosh friendly.

Hey, earlier I tried to upgrade my BIOS but my machine did not wanna boot at all. I tried playing with differnt bios settings etc without any luck. I managed to find a tool from Intel on a sketchy site that worked with Windows and allowed me to downgrade the bios from F2X to F5 so I could boot as normal. I still have the issue with getting en enormous amount of duplicates of boot options in BIOS which I would like to get rid of, and the solution (as far as I know) is to upgrade BIOS.

So, do you mind share your bios settings and the process for bios edit to unlock MSR and native NVRAM?

You can test for native NVRAM using this

NVRAM Testing: You can test if your NVRAM is working by running the following Terminal command and rebooting: sudo nvram TestVar=HelloWorld; once you reboot, run sudo nvram -p | grep 'TestVar'; if you see a result, your NVRAM is working; if not, your NVRAM is broken and needs to be fixed, or otherwise iMessage won't work; after testing, you can delete the TestVar variable by running sudo nvram -d TestVar

Update: Follow these instrructions to

This is the link to the post I used for thunderbolt activation
https://www.google.com/url?client=i...FjAIegQIAhAC&usg=AOvVaw3IOwvFknXHz_SAfxnSKeEB

this the link for MSR unlock
Follow these instructions: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-ud5-th-cfg-lock-msr-ex02.253466/post-1847437
for reference:
https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/blob/master/extras/msr-lock.md

I just followed the instructions in the links.

These need to be done from windows and then go back to MacOS. Follow them very carefully especially bios and make sure you have backup of the bios.Its a little tricky as you need to download some tools to do it

Last edited:
Reactions: ksy
My EFI is for Opencore .0.5.7 running Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental on Gigabyte Z170x-UD5 TH

Hi LSP, your EFI saved my day. I wasn't able to install Catalina 10.15.6 with opencore 0.6.0 on my system, but with your EFI all went well.

Did you upgrade your OC to the latest? And if yes how?
Thanks a lot!
Alex

My EFI is for Opencore .0.5.7 running Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental on Gigabyte Z170x-UD5 TH
@LSP did you update opencore ,

have you try BS or not ?

could you share your EFI thanks

I wonder if the MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB will work on board z170x-ud5 th please, could anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back