Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Dual Boot Installation – Yosemite 10.10.4 & Windows 7 Ultimate on same SSD

My old Mac Pro died a few weeks ago and I'm not keen on the new trashcan design or it's price. That meant it was time for my first Hackintosh.

I had a bit of trouble getting this all working as the order of events is crucial to success, as are the number of the parts installed/active at specific times of the build. I wanted both the systems on the M.2 SSD for the speed, and will use the normal HDD for application installation and data storage. The most commonly used apps will go on the SSD for speed too. It took 5 attempts to get it working 100% with easy boot choice and < 10s to desktop on either O/S from cold boot.

The biggest pain was the USB booting as the BIOS would not discover and label the UniBeast (32GB USB stick) properly and I had to mess around with Legacy USB to get it to boot.

Nothing is O/C, all the parts are stock with no 'tuning' as yet. Scores 7.8 on Windows Experience and has no issues in OSX 10.10 however I haven't run any performance testing as yet.

Intel i7-4790K
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 (N960-G1-2GD)
16GB DDR3 Corsair Vanguard
256GB Samsung EVO 850 M.2 SSD
2TB Samsung Magnetic Disk (from old PC)
Pioneer BDR-206 (from old PC)

1. Install only the M.2 SSD and the CD/DVD/BD along with the required CPU/RAM
    NB: Do not install GPU yet! You will need to run off the integrated GFX until you can install the Nvidia drivers on to OSX.
    NB: Don't connect your PC to a network yet!
  2. If you have already put an OS on the SSD you will need to remove it because it may prevent the PC booting from the USB. I found getting the boot priority the hardest part because of the mixed UEFI and Legacy boot options presented by the BIOS.
    NB: As I had several attempts to get this working, I used a Win 7 Installation DVD and at the install screen, pressed Shift+F10 to access the CMD prompt, then used diskpart to 'clean' the disk back to blank.
  3. Prepare UniBeast (5.1.0) as per the instructions on a separate Mac (I used a MacBook Pro)
    1. Include Legacy USB support, but not laptop support
    2. Download and copy MultiBeast to the USB drive
    3. Download and copy the Nvidia Mac Driver to the USB drive
  4. In BIOS
    1. Load “optimised defaults”
    2. Disable VT-d
    3. Choose “Other OS” in UEFI options
    4. Choose “UEFI and Legacy” in Boot Mode
    5. Choose “Legacy First” in Storage Boot Option
    6. Choose “Legacy OpROM” in Other PCI Device
    7. Enable Legacy USB support
    8. Ensure the Boot Options place both the CD/DVD/BD & USB (or sometimes a blank) ahead of the HDD options. You must include both the UEFI and Px: SATA in the list or you wont see the SSD partitions when UniBeast launches
  5. Boot PC (with UniBeast USB inserted) and you should see the graphical UniBeast launcher
  6. Choose UniBeast and it will load to the OS X installer
  7. Open Disk Utility from the 'Tools' Menu
    1. Select the SSD
    2. Choose “2 Partitions” from the drop down
    3. Under options, choose GUID partition scheme
    4. Select partition 1
      1. Name it something like “OS X”
      2. Choose “Apple HFS (journalled)” as the format
    5. Select partition 2
      1. Name it something like “WIN”
      2. Choose “MS-DOS (FAT 32) as the format
    6. Choose 'Apply' and OK the warning dialogue
    7. Exit Disk Utility
  8. Proceed through the OS X installer and select the OS X disk to install to. Installation is about 13 minutes, depending on your USB speed.
  9. The PC will reboot when finished
  10. Remove the UniBeast USB and insert the Windows installer DVD and reboot (if you missed the opportunity after installation of OS X, and are at the UniBeast Launcher).
  11. This time the PC should boot to the Windows installer and it will be the only time Windows 7 will let you install to the intended partition (4) on the SSD.
    1. Choose language and region settings, then click OK.
    2. Click the big 'Install Now' button
    3. Choose 'customized installation'
    4. Select partition 4 labelled 'WIN' and then 'Format' it (in NTFS)
    5. Click 'Next' to begin the Windows installation
    6. The windows install from DVD takes around 35 minutes and the PC will reboot (more than once) during the installation
    7. The PC will automatically launch in to the new Windows installation to complete the setup process
      1. Type in your account name, password, etc. at the prompts
      2. Leave the time in UTC when prompted
      3. After the final reboot you should be at your Windows desktop
      4. Run Regedit and navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
      5. Add a DWORD (32-bit) and name it RealTimeIsUniversal with a value of 1
      6. Install the v4 or v5 Bootcamp HFS drivers if you have (want) them
    8. Remove the Windows DVD and put the UniBeast USB back in the drive
    9. Reboot
  12. Check your BIOS still has the correct boot order → USB (or blank), CD/DVD, UEFI SSD, Px: SSD (the rest should be disabled)
  13. When UniBeast fires up this time you should see the 3 options; UniBeast, OSX and Windows NTFS. Choose OS X and it will boot to the OS X welcome screen
    1. Choose your region, keyboard, and select 'Not Connected'
    2. Agree to the license and then follow the prompts to create your OSX account
      NB: I often create a backup admin account at this point, then create my actual personal account(s) later
    3. Set your timezone and opt-out of the Apple diagnostics
    4. You should within a couple of minutes be at the Yosemite Desktop
  14. Open MultiBeast from the USB Drive
    1. Click quick start, choose DSDT Free
    2. Click Drivers,
      1. Audio: ALC1150, HD Audio > Audio ID: 1
      2. Disk: 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Party SATA, Intel SATA, TRIM > TRIM Patch for 10.10.3
      3. Network: Atheros > E2200, Intel > Apple Intel E1000e 3.1.0 (the latest)
      4. Customize: 1080p (optional), Basic Boot, Hibernate - Desktop, Kext dev mode, Use KernalCache. Disable the rest
    3. Click Build and then install on the OS X disk
  15. Open the Nvidia driver package from the USB drive and install.
  16. Upon completion this package forces a reboot. Again, boot to OSX.
    1. Confirm your keyboard type (if requested)
  17. In the top right menu bar you should see the Nvidia logo.
    1. Click it and select 'use Nvidia Web Driver'
    2. Reboot when prompted, and remove the UniBeast USB
  18. This time the PC should boot from the SSD and you will see two options (if you interrupt the auto launch); OS X and Windows NTFS
  19. Turn OFF the PC and now install the GPU
  20. Boot to the BIOS
    1. Change the BIOS screen to PCIe1 (or wherever you installed your card)
    2. Disabled the Intel 4600 integrated GFX.
    3. Optionally, you can enable fast boot now too.
    4. Save and reboot.
  21. Move your screen HDMI/DVI cable(s) to the GTX960
  22. Boot to Windows this time
    1. Install the Windows device drivers from the Z97X CD
    2. Install the appropriate Nvidia drivers (345MB)
  23. You're Done

NB: Sound only works out of the rear black port, not the green one.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-ud5h-alc1150-sound-problems.html#post1065922

Last edited:
Hello,
i have the same CPU and Motherboard and Graphics Card as yours and i now have the Yosemite installed(with just UniBeast and MultiBeast), but i have 3 problems, i just think i might find the solution here.

1 when OS X booting is done, at the Log in(where you enter the password) part, the screen would be shown in red color (literally bloody screen), and some flakes all over, but they are not moving. however i can still see information clearly. after logged in, it would be gone.

2 i use a set of Logitech USB wireless mouse and keyboard(k 260) for now, but when i plug anything else in the USB slot, my wireless mouse and keyboard will stop working. i have tried with another set(mk345), the problem is the same. also i tried other slots as well, but it just the same. it seems that the only solution is to unplug everything else and leave just the Mouse and keyboard on, but that's not a solution at all.

3 i couldn't shut the computer down, i pressed the "shut down", but it only just quit the system, and every part of the hardware are still working just by the look of it.

especially the second one is already a big problem for me.

cheers

1. Are you using the Nvidia driver? I found the generic driver for G960 caused really wierd colours and tearing, as well as frame repeat issues or just crashed. This was what led to the method where you change to 'use Nvidia drivers' and only then install the GPU instruction (steps 17->21). Everything works well on the Intel 4600 integrated GFX.

2. I had the same problem during install. If anything else was plugged in there would be no response from the keys/mouse. sometimes just moving the mouse during boot would fix it, sometimes that would cause a kernal panic. This seemed to disappear once the MB drivers went on. I have a G110 Keyboard and G602 wireless mouse (receiver is in the G110 USB port)

I also have the keyboard/mouse plugged in to the black USB2 ports on the far left of the IO panel

3. I don't seem to have a problem with shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back