Contribute
Register

[Success] DrEskimo's Hackintosh R4: Core i7-4770K - GA-Z87X-UD4H - 8GB RAM - GTX 770 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DrEskimo
I'm still running a SandyBridge system with air cooling that I built in early 2012. I use one of the
Zalman quiet coolers, CNPS Performa I believe it's called. In my build I went for a quieter
non-overclocked system. So no liquid cooling for me. Just have two front 120's and the rear stock
Fractal fan. Does your Corsair cooler get noisy or does the sound dampening material pretty much
drown that out ?

Ah right. Sounds good!

I wouldn't call it loud, but it is noisier than I was hoping. I can hear it over the front fans on 7v, but not over the fans on 12v.

I was debating whether to swap to Noctua PPC fans for the front in take, but I guess it would be pointless since the pump will always be audible. Other than a full custom water loop, I can't think how I could replace the H75 really...maybe go with air cooling instead!

I'm using a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer on my Thunderball build which is quiet and very easy to install. MacMan recommended it to me. The Water 2.0 Performer had very good reviews when I researched it.

However, it has been improved and is called Water 3.0 Performer. Like the Corsair coolers, Thermaltake has a line of processor coolers, depending upon your cooling (OC'ing) needs.

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer All-In-One Liquid Cooling System CLW0222
USA: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZL863Y/
UK: [AMAZON-uk]http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DK06K74/[/AMAZON-uk]

AnandTech Review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6984/thermaltake-water-30-closed-loop-cooler-roundup

Ah nice one Stork. Looks decent. Don't think it's probably worth changing it for my H75, since it'll cost me too much for not much gain overall, but definitely keep it in mind for future builds.

came here through your commend on my 'buying advice' post.
great build! i will attempt something nearly identical (4970k & slightly more ram + 760 instead of the 770).

quick question, do the following work?

-usb3
-ethernet
-mail / imessage
-appstore
-cal sync

:) ?

came here through your commend on my 'buying advice' post.
great build! i will attempt something nearly identical (4970k & slightly more ram + 760 instead of the 770).

quick question, do the following work?

-usb3
-ethernet
-mail / imessage
-appstore
-cal sync

:) ?

Cheers :thumbup:

- Yup
- Yup
- Yup / Haven't tried, but know it can be tricky...
- Yup
- Yup

I had to come back to your build again and give it another read over after you commented in my buying advice thread. I knew I had seen it before because I recognized your whale avatar :)

Your build is awesome! Very nice to look at, great scheme and execution, so clean and spacious! :thumbup:

Have you managed to work out the problems you initially listed?

I had to come back to your build again and give it another read over after you commented in my buying advice thread. I knew I had seen it before because I recognized your whale avatar :)

Your build is awesome! Very nice to look at, great scheme and execution, so clean and spacious! :thumbup:

Have you managed to work out the problems you initially listed?

Hey. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Thank you for the kind words :thumbup:

Yup the only thing that doesn't work is iMessage, but I haven't really tried to get it working since I don't use it that much.

I am not just waiting to update to Yosemite now. I have a fair few important things to do PhD wise so don't have the time/luxury to lose everything and do a fresh install if it doesn't go well at the moment. Sure I will give it a go in due time!

Hello friends! Been a good while since I was on here...!
Happy to report that the 2+years since I built this computer, its been running like a dream!

I have come back seeking your advice once again....

I have just purchased a second hand EVGA 980ti Hybrid to upgrade from my MSI 770.
Now....is it a simple case of just swapping out the GPUs, or will I need to do some other bits to get it to work?

Thanks in advance for any guidance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back