1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
[SUCCESS] Dell Vostro 220 | OS X 10.8.4

Dell Vostro 220

Update 6/6/2013: I updated to 10.8.4 from Software Update and everything still works as expected. Notably, the ASUS-branded GT610 no longer requires a kext edit to work; it is supported out-of-the-box!

Hey folks. Been lurking around these parts for quite awhile and figured I should probably finally contribute something.

I have a Dell Vostro 220 that I got surplus from my employer. It's kind of crappy and old, but it runs Mountain Lion just fine. I wanted to document my process for getting everything up and running on it.

There are several other threads around with information on this machine that I consulted while getting everything up and running. I'll link to those at the bottom of the thread for anyone who might be interested.

As a brief overview, I used UniBeast to create a bootable install drive, MultiBeast for post-install, and VoodooHDA to enable audio. The version of VoodooHDA I used (2.8.2 r86) fully-enabled the ALC662 audio chipset and provided crystal clear audio playback. No issues at all so far. The graphics chipset I'm using is supported by OS X, but is not ready-to-go out-of-the-box. For the particular brand of card I'm using, I had to manually add my device ID to the kext's Info.plist. Once added, full graphics functionality is acheived (full resolution and QE/CI). If you're not comfortable editing the graphics kext, you can grab a pre-edited kext. There are two versions: one for 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 and one that I provided for 10.8.2.

I did not use a DSDT as it was not necessary to acheive full (mostly full) functionality. Sleep is untested as I never sleep my machines.

Specs

• CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2.6 GHz (Recognized as Core 2 Duo by OS X)
  • RAM: 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 800 MHz DDR2
  • GFX: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1 GB GDDR3 PCIe (ASUS-branded)(Onboard Intel Graphics not supported)
  • SND: ALC662
  • NET: Realtek RTL81xx 10/100 Ethernet
  • HDD: Intel ICH10 AHCI SATA II w/ 250 GB SATA II HDD
  • BIOS: Revision 1.1.3
  • Service Tag: 49C6DK1

Process

You'll want to obtain a copy of Mountain Lion and create a bootable USB drive using UniBeast. You'll use this drive to install OS X to the machine. I also copy all of my post-install utilities to the drive as well so after installation is complete, I only need to reboot and complete my post-install routine. For post-install, I include MultiBeast for Mountain Lion, Kext Utility, and VoodooHDA 2.8.2 r86.

After installing OS X from the drive, I had to reboot into Safe Mode (boot option: -x) in order for the GUI to show up. My ethernet wasn't working yet, so I skipped setting up the network and just created my user account. Once at the desktop, I ran MultiBeast from the drive. See the attached image for a list of options I chose to get everything working. After MultiBeast was run, I installed VoodooHDA, but did not restart when it prompted. Before I restarted, I edited NVDAGF100Hal.kext and added my graphics card's device ID to its Info.plist. Finally, I ran Kext Utility to repair permissions and regenerate caches and then rebooted.

attachment.php

After reboot, I had a working desktop with full graphics functionality, audio, and network.

If you're installing 10.8.0 or 10.8.1, you will need to re-edit your graphics kext after you upgrade to 10.8.2. I know 10.8.3 just came out, but I haven't upgraded yet so I don't know what issues may be caused from upgrading to it.

Note on Graphics

If you're using a GT 610, but it's branded differently (as maybe a Gigabyte or something else) and during boot, the GUI never loads or you get a black screen, chances are your card's device ID is not present in the kext's Info.plist. Refer to the graphics thread I will link below to see if someone else has provided a patched kext for your card, or for information on how to patch it yourself.

You shouldn't have much trouble as long as you're using a card that's known to work with OS X. All the usual caveats apply here.

Note on BIOS/DSDT

As mentioned previously, I didn't use a DSDT since it was reported as being unnecessary. You'll notice above in the specs that my BIOS revision is 1.1.3. For this machine, that's really old. The current revision available from Dell is 1.3.0. There are pre-edited DSDTs available for this machine that are based on BIOS revision 1.3.0. I didn't want to install Windows just to flash the BIOS so I left it alone. Feel free to upgrade your BIOS and try using a DSDT if you'd like. If you do go this route, leave a reply below and let everyone know how it went for you or if you unlocked the magical unicorns inside your computer.

Links

Dell Vostro 220 - Pre-edited DSDT for Dell Vostro 220 with BIOS revision 1.3.0.

[GUIDE] On-board Audio for ALC662 Mountain Lion 10.8.x - Pre-edited kexts to (supposedly) enable the ALC662 audio chipset for use with AppleHDA.

Dell Vostro 220 - 2 GB RAM - 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Post on legacy forum with information on getting Lion 10.7 to work with the Dell Vostro 220.

NVIDIA GT610 - 10.8 Fix - Graphics thread mentioned above. Contains pre-edited kexts to get the ASUS-branded GT 610 working in OS X 10.8 as well as instructions on how this was accomplished.

VoodooHDA 2.8.2 r86 32/64bit Installer &VT2021 5.1 (OSx86.net)

Kext Utility

tonymacx86 Downloads - UniBeast and MultiBeast

Attachments

• mb_options.png
    mb_options.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 6,962
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for providing these instructions. I am about to start this project now. I have one question, I need to add another video card so I can have double monitors. What steps should i follow to do this, and what Graphic card do you think (or maybe there is a list) I can use.

Second my Vostros 220 only has 1GB of DDR2, and if I upgrade to the 4GB DDR2 after the install, will this create an issue?

Thanks Again, and will let you know my outcome.

HI,

So I got everything installed following your instructions. Everything seems to work except my second graphics card in the PCI slot. I used the pre-installed kext below for the ALC662, and the audio works. I am using the onboard graphics card, and it works great with the exception of some flickering in youtube videos (any help to solve that issue is greatly appreciated).

My network card worked without any DSDT.

Again Thanks for posting!!!

HI,

So I got everything installed following your instructions. Everything seems to work except my second graphics card in the PCI slot. I used the pre-installed kext below for the ALC662, and the audio works. I am using the onboard graphics card, and it works great with the exception of some flickering in youtube videos (any help to solve that issue is greatly appreciated).

My network card worked without any DSDT.

Again Thanks for posting!!!

I'm not sure what graphics card to recommend to you. I use an ASUS-branded GeForce GT 610. It requires a kext edit to get it to work, but once enabled it's fully functional.

My best recommendation would be a card that requires no kext editing to get to work. I think the later GT(X) 600-series cards work without much hassle. Any of the cards from the build list should do you quite nicely.

The flickering video might be because the video isn't accelerated. I'm not sure what kind of built-in graphics you've got, but if your Vostro 220 is like mine, the built-in graphics chipset is the Intel GMA X4100 which is not supported.

Thanks. That's the card I went with, and everything works GREAT!!! Again Thank You!!!

hey ruk, can you please assist in helping me get my quadro 380 lp to work right, it fails to use the second monitor. maybe just a couple of questions too? thanks in advance.
I have same base system + 10.8.5 .
discod

Does Maverick 10.9.1 work on the Dell Vostro 200? Anybody upgrade to this?

I have successfully installed Mavericks on a Vostro 220. Been running ok for about a week. That said this is my first build and I am still learning.

Tweaks-
I was able to get native audio working by using the ALC662 kext.
Had to remove AppleHPET.kext in order to get all USB ports working constantly.

Open Issues-
Native graphics were pretty poor-youtube and dvd playback was unworkable. So I picked up a NVIDIA gt610. I had some initial trouble with conflicts on the install and had to do a clean install with GraphicsEnabler=Yes in Multibeast. No additional drivers or tweaks were necessary to get the system to recognize the card. I believe that QE/CI is working.

However, installing the graphics card disabled native audio-don't know why yet. HDMI video port is active, but not getting audio via HDMI. At the moment I have decided to go USB audio and the part is ordered but can't confirm that will work yet but plenty of people have used that as a work around without any problem.

AppleDVD does not work-Using VLC instead.

Youtube playback seems buggy-starts playing and building the buffer, then stops the buffer load and playback stops. If I click on the playbar a second or two after the stop it will play again for another few seconds and then freeze again. Not sure what the issue is yet-wondering if its connected to the currently not working audio. [UPDATE-Solved] Playback issues must be connected to no audio. Working fine now with USB audio.

Overall-
Pretty simple build using Unibeast and Multibeast and Mavericks download and following the guide and the info from the OP.

System does seem a little slower, ie. it takes several seconds for the icons to pop up when opening the "Applications" folder for the first time in a session.

Otherwise things seem to be working pretty well.

Update-
My HD failed and was unrepairable in disk utilities, so had to swap that out and reinstall.

I had some problems with AppleHPET unistalled, so I have left it for now and am using a USB hub. So far so good on that.

My USB dongle came in and viola, I now have audio output via generic USB device and that resolved the video playback issues. Keeping fingers crossed all is well now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back