Contribute
Register

SUCCESS Dell UP2414Q 4K 60Hz on OS X 10.10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you change profiles, sign out of the App Store, iTunes, and iCloud. iCloud is particularly important because otherwise you'll end up with a fake Mac signed into your iCloud account that you can't get rid of (it will auto-expire after 60 days of not being signed in).

Also be prepared for weirdness with your startup screens. You will want to have a working Clover USB stick hanging around in case you, for example, boot and get a blank screen. If your hard drive gives you a blank screen, boot from the Clover USB stick to get back to the desktop and revert your config.plist changes.

You might also get weird behaviors like the "first time" dialog whenever you open an app, but I think that is tied to a UUID change, rather than a profile change.

Just make sure you generate a new unique serial number and change your profile through Clover Configurator, and you should be mostly fine. When you have 60 Hz, then if you have an SSDT, generate a new one for the Macmini6,2 profile using ssdtPRgen.

I am running a GTX980 on an Asrock X99M Killer board with the latest nVidia and CUDA drivers on Yosemite 10.10.1.

UP2414Q running on the DP out of the GTX980 runs at 30Hz, whether using the nVidia Web drivers or the OS X driver - makes no difference.

Power cycling the display changes nothing. How can you tell if you have DP 1.1 or 1.2? Opening the nVidia preferences pane I see no way to change the DP mode and can find nothing to tell me which I am using.

DP 1.2 is set through the monitor's on-screen menu. Press the bottom-most soft touch button (just above the power button), then go Menu > Display Settings > DisplayPort 1.2 > Enable.

Please note that I was intentionally not using the latest NVIDIA web drivers--the ones I used are here:
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/80070/en-us

It's just one version earlier. There was a report on InsanelyMac that the latest drivers broke 60 Hz, so I decided not to risk it.

Those drivers aren't compatible out-of-the-box with OS X 10.10.2, either. I was thinking of plist hacking those drivers to get them to run under OS X 10.10.2--I *think* all you have to do is change the compatible system version in NVDAStartup.kext to 14C109 from 14B25. But I haven't tried it yet. I'll report back.

I made what I think was a pretty thorough attempt to upgrade my 4K at 60 Hz rig to work under OS X 10.10.2, but I have to report that I failed.

First, since it seems like the exact NVIDIA driver version is critical to getting it to work, I tried keeping the 343.01.02f01 web drivers in place (see OP). However, this isn't allowed. After installing OS X 10.10.2 (using combo updater) and getting to the desktop, a dialog box comes up saying that the default OS X drivers were used because the 343.01.02f01 web drivers are not compatible with OS X 10.10.2.

I looked in all the Info.plists inside the 343.01.02f01 web drivers' installer package, and found one (and only one) reference to the current OS X version. In the Info.plist file inside NVDAStartup.kext, there is this section:

Code:
<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>14B25</string>

14B25 is the designator for OS X 10.10.1, and 14C109 is the designator for OS X 10.10.2. So I changed NVDAStartup.kext, reinstalled to S/L/E via KextBeast, and rebooted. But the drivers weren't fooled; the same dialog box came up.

At this point I installed the 343.02.02f01 drivers. While this driver version was installed, no output would go to the UP2414Q monitor--not even 30 Hz, just a blank screen. (The monitor entered Power Save mode, which confirms no signal being sent.)

At this point I tried installing the 343.01.02f01 drivers over the 343.02.02f01 drivers, using Pacifist. Pacifist let me exclude the NVDAStartup.kext from the installation, which I thought might help. But this sent the computer into an uncommanded reboot after getting past the Clover boot screen. I tried using -x and -f to get out of the reboot loop, but no joy.

As a last ditch I "cleared" my NVRAM (i.e., I deleted nvram.plist from the root level of my boot drive), then did -x and -f, but that didn't get me 4K at 60 Hz, and actually it made the native graphics acceleration stop working. So I finally gave up and restored to 10.10.1 from backup.

(If you're wondering what happened when I used the default OS X drivers and 10.10.2, the computer "saw" my UP2414Q display, but the screen was blank. I have two monitors, and I was able to mouse from the edge of the working monitor to where the desktop on the UP2414Q display would be. And the monitor wasn't in Power Save mode, showing that it was expecting to receive something. Power cycling didn't matter.)

If anyone else has any bright ideas, please contribute. :) Thanks.

Did you make any progress yet? I rely on DP for 60hz+4k, and lost that by upgrading to 10.10.2. I found out, you can fool the drivers into loading with an unsupported OS Version by editing the driver install package and also editing the info.plist in NVDAStartup.kext (I think that one you didn't find?). However, with my setup, this resulted in a crash & reboot on startup. Might work for other GPUs though.

SUCCESS Dell UP2414Q 4K 60Hz on OS X 10.10.2

This may help,
http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/155489-os-x-10-10-2-update.html

Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;
Download and run update to 10.10.2;
Re-boot;
Run MultiBeast;
Re-boot;
Repair Permissions again.

What i only did was enable TRIM again after update, nothing else, did not even touch Nvdia driver, voodoo audio unchanged. Still perfect for Dell UP2414Q 4K 60Hz, well, almost (MST issue).

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/149365-success-dell-up2414q-4k-60hz-os-x-10-10-1-a.html

​Hi Guys, first time post on here, thanks to tonymac. After 2 days research, 4k 60hz with Dell UP2414Q succeeded with both OS X 10.10 and OS X 10.10.1.

GA Z77MX D3H TH
i5 3570K
MSI Geforce GTX 760 2GD5/OC ITX
SSD 250GB (OS X 10.10.1)
SSD 250GB (Windows 8.1 Pro)
HDD 2TB (DATA)

1, Install MultiBeast - Yosemite Edition 7.0.2 with MAC MINI 6.2 definition.

2, Add "<key>Kernel Flags</key> <string>nvda_drv=1</string>" on org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

3, Install Nvidia WebDriver-343.01.02f01 for OS X 10.10.1
http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/80070/en-us

or (WebDriver-343.01.01f03 for OS X 10.10)
http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/79077/en-us

Restart. (no flags needed for me)
If start on monitor setting at DP1.2 need monitor power cycling. if start at DP1.1 just need change to DP1.2.

I'm already on 10.10.2 and have patched with multibeast, do you think there is a way I can still do it? Would I need to remove the drivers and reset everything to how they were before running multibeast?

And btw, I'm curious what options you checked in multibeast, was it really only TRIM?

I never got 60hz on my up2414q even though I've tried everything in both 10.10.1 and 10.10, so I'm willing to give 10.10.2 a chance if it's possible.

Are you still running the 343.01.02f01 web drivers, even under OS X 10.10.2? When I upgraded to OS X 10.10.2, the drivers wouldn't load, and I wasn't able to force them to load either.

Can you get 4K 60Hz on latest 10.10.3?

4K 60Hz is still broken on 10.10.3, I tried with nvidia WebDriver-346.01.02f02.

Right now the only configuration that works for me is 10.10.1 and WebDriver-343.01.02f03.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back