Contribute
Register

[success] Dell 2011 xps 8300 hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
HD 5770
Finally have some time to share my experience of installing SL and Lion.

It was fun, literally done it in trials and failures.

Now I run lion 10.7.1 on my hackintosh.

Here is my hardware spec: Dell XPS 8300 (early 2011)

Intel i7-2600 3.4Ghz (Need to use UpdateHelper before updating 10.6.8)
12G RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 (need to boot with "GraphicsEnabler=No")
H67 dell modified Motherboard
sound chip Realteck ALC887 (More details later)

I will be focusing on the kexts and some tips.

Be organized,

having iBoot in a disc
Download multibeast,
SL 10.6.8 update,
Lion installation file,
Lion 10.7.1 update,
KextBeast,
UpdateHelper
and xMove

If you have the same build as mine, download <a href="http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=26261&p=167601#p167601>Gravewyrm's Ethernet kext</a>

Basically, you need to follow Tony's iboot & multibeast to install SL.

1. I have problem booting iBoot, after some research I start to use GraphicsEnabler=No. problem solved.
I do find out, PCIRootUID=1 do crash my computer, so have some trials.

2.(Sandy Bridge user only)
Once finish SL installation, and successfully boot into Desktop. Run UpdateHelper, and restart before updating 10.6.8.

3. After 10.6.8 update, DO NOT restart, Do NOT restart.

Installing kexts using multibeast, and I didn't choose Easybeast since some of its kexts crash my system.

I handpick the following:

System Utility (all)
Drivers & Bootloader
>> Kexts & Enablers
>> Miscellaneous
>> ElliotForceLegacyRTC
EvOreBoot
FakeSMC
IOPCIFamily Fix
IOUSBFamilyRollback
NullCPUPowerManagement
>> Bootloader >> chameleon

Customization
>> Boot option >> 64 bit GraphicsEnabler=No (coz i have HD5770, choose the one suit you)
>> System Def >> Mac pro 3.1

OSx86 Software >> All

4. (Optional) if you want to install Lion, don't bother with this step.
Use KextBeast or Kext helper to install DellEthernet kexts which can be found in
GraveWyrm's iDell project

5. Reboot through hard drive, it should be able to boot to Desktop. I didn't install any sound driver, so there is no sound, but the rest of your system should be running perfectly.

I want to upgrade to Lion after 10.6.8, I thought it might be better to install less kexts since the more you install the more chance they might crash the system during upgrading to lion.

5.5 You might want to backup your system using Time machine, I found it is very handy to rollback after I screwed up something.

6. If you have the same PC, don't worry about the sound just yet. let's install Lion first.

7. Follow xMove + Multibeast Guide of installing Lion.

8. Boot to Lion, there should be no ethernet and sound. I chose to update 10.7.1 first, since there are only minimum of kexts, it should update without problem.

9. <a href="http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=26261&p=167601#p167601>Ethernet kext</a> Many thanks to Gravewyrm. Using kextsBeast or KextHelper to install it.

10. For 10.7.1 sound problem, I use VoodooHDA 0.2.61 works perfect for me. other will just cause kernel panic during booting. after installation and reboot, you might find there is sound and lots of noise coming out of speakers, go to system preference/sound/ turn down the input mic volume.

11. All Done.

minor problems having at the moment

1. having dual monitors might crash system randomly in small chances during booting. solution: it is to turn off one when booting.
2. still haven't find any working wireless kexts.

So far so good.

Good luck guys, happy hacking.

Awesome - just did the SL install with little issues. The biggest issue I am having right now is stability during bootup. It's a 50/50 chance it boots, but once its up and running it seems to be good.

If you have found any support for the wireless that would be great.

Update: been having a few more issues.
1. Unable to empty trash
2. Unable to connect to external drive to restore time machine backup
3. Randomly get Application finder can't be opened -10810

Going to try to reinstall everything.

Thanks!

I actually have that system. And Im running Lion through a Unibeast installation.

there are a few minor issues
-no sleep (but thats for the weak)
-booting from harddrive doesnt always work but its no biggie cause booting from usb always does..
-also there is a little static in the speaker but once you turn down the mic its all goodie

leianivey said:
I actually have that system. And Im running Lion through a Unibeast installation.

there are a few minor issues
-no sleep (but thats for the weak)
-booting from harddrive doesnt always work but its no biggie cause booting from usb always does..
-also there is a little static in the speaker but once you turn down the mic its all goodie

What DSDT did you use?

Im not hacker nor am I sure what a DSDT is exactly. I just installed Lion using unibeast, multibeast and kextbeast

My multibeast installation is the same as above
System Utility (all)
Drivers & Bootloader
>> Kexts & Enablers
>> Miscellaneous
>> ElliotForceLegacyRTC
EvOreBoot
FakeSMC
IOPCIFamily Fix
IOUSBFamilyRollback
NullCPUPowerManagement
>> Bootloader >> chameleon

Customization
>> Boot option >> 64 bit GraphicsEnabler=No (coz i have HD5770, choose the one suit you)
>> System Def >> Mac pro 3.1

OSx86 Software >> All

I installed Lion on an xps 8300, 8gb, 1tb drive, hd6770 with Unibeast, multibeast. Everything works great except connecting to my WD world book to restore my time machine data. I think that issue is related to Lion/WD and not with the hackintosh.

-Rishi

yeah cause I have used time machine with my seagate external a bunch of times with no issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back