Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Mobo: GA-P55A-UD3(A)
CPU: i7-870
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 570 1280MB
1x Lite-On iHAS524-98 DVD Burner.
2x Corsair 4GB RAM (CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3).
1x Seagate Barracuda, Sata II, 500GB 7200RPM, 16MB Cache.

Totally new to the Hackintosh scene. I wanted to do this when I first bought my rig, but I didn't and I don't remember why I fell out of the idea. I don't want to change anything (except maybe get a new HDD and/or SSD), and I wasn't sure really where to start so I thought compatibility. The GPU, DVD burner and HDD are what I am most worried about because I couldn't find a difinitive answer. Would the rig work for Lion (USB).

EDIT: I ended up having to buy SL from Amazon ($43 + $4 1-day shipping) because I do not know anyone with a Mac, nor a place I could go to use a Mac. Installed, got it to work long enough to download and install with Unibeast. Wiped out SL, reformatted, installed Lion follow these instructions: (viewtopic.php?t=45192&p=290048). Almost everything is working. I use a turtle beach PX3 headset (works on all systems) and I'm getting audio with the headset but the speakers that I use (from a really old eMachine), using the 3.5mm jack, for some reason do not work. I feel like they worked before though. Other than that, everything is working great.

I haven't done benchmarks yet, but I did download Cinebench? I did play RuneScape for a few moments using OpenGL in the settings tab (of RuneScape), and it ran perfect.

Re: Current rig compatibilty

Give it a try, you've nothing to lose.
It may not work 100% OOB, but with some minor modifications you should get full functionality. Good luck

joesayegh said:
Give it a try, you've nothing to lose.
It may not work 100% OOB, but with some minor modifications you should get full functionality. Good luck

Except for the $70 on Lion if it fails :p But It's worth the try at least. Or should I try Snow Leopard first and if I can get it working buy Lion in the Mac App Store?

Gordo74 said:
My brother has the same system aside from the video card. It works fine in OSX.

With the 570, you may have to edit the driver (kext) to get it to be recognized and full resolution.

That's what I had figured from my reading.

If you know of a friend or relative to borrow their mac to setup a Unibeast stick.

eBay has used sticks I believe but since they are so costly for the thumbstick...maybe.

Aperkins1991 said:
Except for the $70 on Lion if it fails :p But It's worth the try at least. Or should I try Snow Leopard first and if I can get it working buy Lion in the Mac App Store?
If you plan on running Lion, it's easier to just go with it from the start instead of installing Snow Leopard, messing with it, upgrading to Lion, then having to mess with it again.

As to the cost though, much cheaper to buy Lion from the app store at $29, then snag yourself an 8gb thumb drive for about $10, and set up Unibeast on it. (This is assuming you have access to a Mac to do this on)

jester969 said:
If you know of a friend or relative to borrow their mac to setup a Unibeast stick.

eBay has used sticks I believe but since they are so costly for the thumbstick...maybe.

The $70 thing was kinda a joke. Money isn't really a problem. I actually don't know anyone with a Mac, so I'll have to buy the Lion thumbstick.

wfj said:
Here are some links I've gathered for the 570 that may be of help...I just got a 570 today and I'm about to try it out.

This is a guide for a 560ti but the process (I think) should be the same:

http://www.osx86.net/desktops/14178-gui ... 60-ti.html

Modified kexts for 570:

http://www.osx86.net/view/1540-gtx570_lion.html

Let me know how it goes for you and I'll update as well.

Thanks. I'm going to order a new hard drive and a copy of Lion from Apple. I'll let you know what happens when I get it all together!

I do have one more question. I have two older drives, a Maxter(sp?) 120gb and a WD 160gb, both older parallel drives. Would/should they be compatible?

Quick update...Piece of cake so far, got everything working first try. I'll write up a full guide tomorrow and let you know the steps but it all looks great. Got 39fps in cinebench just to test things out but that was with no overclocking on the CPU. Here is the exact card I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130622

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back