Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming-5
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 970 SC
Photo Aug 24, 12 57 26 AM.jpgPhoto Aug 24, 12 43 00 AM.jpg

First, I apologize for any formatting issues, because I have never posted here before. I have always been a lurker, but I figured it's about time I post something. This is my third Hackintosh build, but it's the first build for myself, and the first build that I have used Clover for. I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

Original Parts:
  • Intel Core i7-4790K CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MOBO
  • Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 RAM
  • Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SSD
  • EVGA GTX 970 SC (04G-P4-1972-KR) GPU
  • Corsair AX760W PSU
  • BitFenix Prodigy M Case (Black)
  • Assorted BitFenix Fans
  • NZXT Hue LED controller

I say "original parts" because these are the parts I've started with, and are the parts in the pictures. Since then, I have swapped the EVGA 970 for an MSI 970 (that barely fits), and I have ordered a Nepton 140XL for the CPU.

Installation with this motherboard was super easy, I just had to follow the guide. The only thing that took me awhile to figure out was the dual-booting. I didn't have the money to spend on two SSDs, and I wanted to run both Windows and OS X off an SSD, so I installed OS X first, and then Windows after I setup the EFI. A lot of what I did was learned from forums, so if I copied and pasted your content, I'm sorry, I just can't remember what I came up with and what I copied. Here is the general idea:

Tweak BIOS:
▪ Update to the newest BIOS version
▪ Load optimized defaults.
▪ Advanced memory settings > XMP Profile 1.
▪ Set VT-d to Disabled.
▪ Set XHCI mode to Auto.
▪ Set Intel Processor Graphics to Disabled.
▪ Set XHCI Hand-off to Enabled.
▪ Set EHCI Hand-off to Enabled.
▪ Set SATA configuration to AHCI.
▪ Save and reset

Follow the main Clover guide with these modifications:

STEP 2
#17: choose UEFI Boot Mode method.
#20: choose config.plist-GE=Yes-NVIDIA.zip
IMPORTANT: make sure you don't have your WIFI card/USB stick connected until after you've sorted out LAN. If you take care of this, iCloud won't have issues. Alternatively, if you don't need Ethernet, download NullEthernet.kext and install it as per instructions. Works flawlessly.

STEP 3:
#4: set boot flag to: nv_disable=1

STEP 4:
#5: choose UEFI-Capable Systems method.
#8: use same kexts as previously.
#9: don't touch!

Fixes:
Ethernet: To get the Atheros NIC working, use the Atheros E2200 Ethernet driver. Google "AtherosE2200Ethernet" to find it.
INSTALL WINDOWS​

That was pretty much it. After using a couple ASRock MOBOs, this was a breath of fresh air, and in the future, I will probably continue to use Gigabyte.

I would love to answer any questions.

Nice guide! I've got a basically identical setup aside from the ram and storage, and I'm wondering if you had any issues with the install reboots?

When installing OSX, I should get the option to boot into Yosemite after the second reboot, although EVERY time I do this, Clover only gives me the "Boot OSX Install from Install OSX Yosemite". It does the same thing every time "creates recovery drive, blah blah).

Did you encounter this at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back