Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [Success] Catalina 10.15.1 Asus ROG Strix Z390E-Gaming, i9 9900K and RX 5700XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this EFI, I used Fake SMC instead of VirtualSMC. Mouse issues fixed, sleeping issues gone and only thing so far left is the screen flicker at login.

Thank you for sharing your efi i will use it for a while and share my experiences.
For now i feel a slightly mouse lag

@buda_sk8 thanks for uploading your EFI folder I've just successfully (I think) installed it too! I've not had a chance to test everything yet, but it boots and I've been able to run Cinebench [ 4790 ] and Geekbench [
1179 / 8517 ] without it dying. Wi-Fi is working via the Fenvi T919 PCIe card.

Thanks to @Big-W @Leesureone for their suggested links to EFI's to try which ultimately led me to the right one. Thanks to @ModMike for his exceptionally clear guide (I used the BIOS setup from his guide)

Will update when I've tested everything properly.

Update
Everything seems to work except sound out, but I had an old USB to headphones adaptor thingy lying around and it picked that up the instant I plugged it in. I don’t have any USB-C devices to test those but all the USB ports appear to work, Ethernet works, WiFi card works. Worked all day on the new machine yesterday and didn’t have any issues!

Last edited:
I have a very similar build, everything works great except Garageband. no matter how many times I try, it will not install Sound library and sound does not work on it even if it would. Sound works fine elsewhere. Anyone have any similar issues and/or solutions.

@buda_sk8 thanks for uploading your EFI folder I've just successfully (I think) installed it too! I've not had a chance to test everything yet, but it boots and I've been able to run Cinebench [ 4790 ] and Geekbench [
1179 / 8517 ] without it dying. Wi-Fi is working via the Fenvi T919 PCIe card.

Thanks to @Big-W @Leesureone for their suggested links to EFI's to try which ultimately led me to the right one. Thanks to @ModMike for his exceptionally clear guide (I used the BIOS setup from his guide)

Will update when I've tested everything properly.

Update
Everything seems to work except sound out, but I had an old USB to headphones adaptor thingy lying around and it picked that up the instant I plugged it in. I don’t have any USB-C devices to test those but all the USB ports appear to work, Ethernet works, WiFi card works. Worked all day on the new machine yesterday and didn’t have any issues!

That's great news! Congrats!

I updated to 10.15.3 and now my computer restarts when idle for more than 5min. Anyone having the same issue?

Hey, I'm a long time Hackintosh user. Built my first one 8 years ago and I've been using it since. Recently I decided to update rig so I got this exact mobo, CPU, and Radeon 5700 XT. I spent around 10hrs already trying to run the installer. Read countless posts and I feel like I tried everything at this point.

So tried two different solutions:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...g-i7-8700k-sapphire-rx580-pulse-build.272572/
-- with EFI for Catalina / GPU coming from this thread
This one stops at "IOConsoleUsers : gIOScreenLockState 3"

I've also tried Budas EFI which gives me pixelated/unreadable font so I believe this must be somehow graphics card related issue. I tried to install it without GPU, tried it with GPU. I tried many different EFI files but can never get to the installation screen. This is so confusing.

Maybe my version of Catalina is too new? Perhaps I should try older build?

So my setup is pretty similar - I9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix z390-e gamin & Gigabyte OC Radeon 5700 XT + 32gb of Ram. I tired buda_sk8 EFI but can't even get to the installation screen :(

Please help me because I need this computer for work.

Thanks, guys

Attachments

• img_20200209_084146.670.jpg
    img_20200209_084146.670.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Hey, I'm a long time Hackintosh user. Built my first one 8 years ago and I've been using it since. Recently I decided to update rig so I got this exact mobo, CPU, and Radeon 5700 XT. I spent around 10hrs already trying to run the installer. Read countless posts and I feel like I tried everything at this point.

So tried two different solutions:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...g-i7-8700k-sapphire-rx580-pulse-build.272572/
-- with EFI for Catalina / GPU coming from this thread
This one stops at "IOConsoleUsers : gIOScreenLockState 3"

I've also tried Budas EFI which gives me pixelated/unreadable font so I believe this must be somehow graphics card related issue. I tried to install it without GPU, tried it with GPU. I tried many different EFI files but can never get to the installation screen. This is so confusing.

Maybe my version of Catalina is too new? Perhaps I should try older build?

So my setup is pretty similar - I9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix z390-e gamin & Gigabyte OC Radeon 5700 XT + 32gb of Ram. I tired buda_sk8 EFI but can't even get to the installation screen :(

Please help me because I need this computer for work.

Thanks, guys

Ok I finally managed to install it with this EFI

So anyone having issues can try it.

@spicesha , did you update successfully to 10.15.3? If so, can you share your updated EFI?

I had Catalina .3 already on the USB and all I did was replacing my EFI (on USB) with his. It works flawlessly.

1581415054304.png

Last edited:
I had Catalina .3 already on the USB and all I did was replacing my EFI (on USB) with his. It works flawlessly.

View attachment 449144

Sounds good! Can you perhaps share your EFI? I'm still in doubt if I will procure this motherboard or another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back