Contribute
Register

[Success] - Big Sur on Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH Core i5 HD4600 Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like you, I'd given up on installing Big Sur. I've not had good luck at all.
I have same motherboard as you. You use this OpenCore EFI on a bootable usb with Big Sur installer? Then upgraded from Catalina and copy the EFI over to your boot drive?
Looking for some clarification and hoping that I can get this upgrade!
Thanks so much!

Yes. So, when I landed here I had already installed Catalina using clover and it was working fine.
Then,
1.) I used this guide (
) to create a bootable usb drive for Big Sur.
2.) Instead of using clover for the bootable usb, I used the opencore EFI folder that Nteractive kindly provided.
3.) I checked the bios settings and they were just like the ones in the video, so I didn't touch them.
4.) I booted from the usb drive and installed Big Sur. (Just make sure that you either set the usb drive to boot first or just keep selecting it during the reboots that happen during the installation process)
5.) After that, since I already had clover configurator installed, I just mounted the EFI partition in the configurator and replaced the old one with the opencore one as well.
That was it.

Last edited:
Yes. So, when I landed here I had already installed Catalina using clover and it was working fine.
Then,
1.) I used this guide (
) to create a bootable usb drive for Big Sur.
2.) Instead of using clover for the bootable usb, I used the opencore EFI folder that Nteractive kindly provided.
3.) I checked the bios settings and they were just like the ones in the video, so I didn't touch them.
4.) I booted from the usb drive and installed Big Sur. (Just make sure that you either set the usb drive to boot first or just keep selecting it during the reboots that happen during the installation process)
5.) After that, since I already had clover configurator installed, I just mounted the EFI partition in the configurator and replaced the old one with the opencore one as well.
That was it.
Thank you so much. I'm going to give it another try!

Nteractive and diegao109, I cannot thank you enough!!
FINALLY was able to update to Big Sur!
Thank you SO much!
Curious, does your AppleTV work? Mine crashes on start, looking for a solution.
thank you muchly!

Last edited:
Nteractive and diegao109, I cannot thank you enough!!
FINALLY was able to update to Big Sur!
Thank you SO much!
Curious, does your AppleTV work? Mine crashes on start, looking for a solution.
thank you muchly!
Awesome, man.
Yeah, TV doesn't crash on startup.

Hey wckdkarma
I have the same exact build as you but having real trouble whenever I try to boot using the RX 580 graphics card. Any chance you can post your config.plist or what you had to do to get external graphics working? Works fine when I use internal graphics

Hey wckdkarma
I have the same exact build as you but having real trouble whenever I try to boot using the RX 580 graphics card. Any chance you can post your config.plist or what you had to do to get external graphics working? Works fine when I use internal graphics
Sure! I will say that after using mine for a while, it's still buggy for me.
It does not like to eject some external disks/drives and my only option is to shutdown, remove drive and then reboot. Also AppleTV doesn't work.
Things got really busy for me and I just haven't been able to research any further.
Hopefully this will at least help with the external graphics! Hope you'll post back with your results.

Attachments

• config to share.plist
    24.5 KB · Views: 66
Thanks! I did get my external graphics working by disabling IGFX (unfortunately couldn't get that to work with it). But I just found out some of my software isn't compatible with Big Sur so I might be heading back to Catalina. Thank you for posting this though!

First, thanks for EFIs!! I have a GA-Z97X-UD5 and the Cat EFI worked great. I upgraded to Big Sur everything was working good except not waking from sleep., not a big deal.

Next I did the 11.6.1 update and lost a few on-board USB ports.

I Am still running the Catalina EFI, should I switch to Big Sur EFI to solve these issues or are they unrelated to the EFI?

Thanks to anyone who may have answers/insight.

I thought i posted yesterday, maybe i did and i just don't see it. I've been dealing with power outages here in Texas since Sunday.

Can all USB ports be used?

I thought i posted yesterday, maybe i did and i just don't see it. I've been dealing with power outages here in Texas since Sunday.

Here is by Big Sur EFI and my Catalina EFI.
Can all USB ports be used?

Here is by Big Sur EFI and my Catalina EFI.
Are all USB ports available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back