i9-11900KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Success! Using my 2015 Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH was able to update to Big Sur. Tried multiple methods and the only one I found that works flawlessly was:

1. Using OpenCore 0.6.4 follow guide to install Catalina
2. Boot into Catalina and download Big Sur from App Store then install

Trying to install Big Sur from a boot disk did not work, would crash the installer at 12mins left.

When it reached twelve minutes left did the screen go black ?

I tried rebooting and loading into the installer a few times like that, but it would always end up the same.

It went black for about 30 seconds, then locked, yes.
On my Big Sur installs I had the screen go black at the 12-13 minutes left mark. All I did is either press a key or move the mouse and the countdown screen (progress bar) came back for a minute, then it auto rebooted as a part of the Big Sur install. It's normal for it to reboot before the progress bar completely finishes moving across. I never saw any kind of kernel panic or verbose info, it completed normally.

On my Big Sur installs I had the screen go black at the 12-13 minutes left mark. All I did is either press a key or move the mouse and the countdown screen (progress bar) came back for a minute, then it auto rebooted as a part of the Big Sur install. It's normal for it to reboot before the progress bar completely finishes moving across. I never saw any kind of kernel panic or verbose info, it completed normally.
Agree, i tried that in my scenario and it was totally locked. Could only reboot and get the same result on multiple tries. I did get multiple reboots when i installed directly as an update from the app store, but no lock-ups.

Nteractive, I have the same motherboard as you and successfully installed Catalina on it using clover. I can't seem to make the upgrade to Big Sur, tho. The screen goes black after selecting the installer, even before all the verbose bits of the installation. I'm willing to migrate to opencore, but don't seem to be getting the configs right. Could you upload your opencore folder here? Thanks a lot!

Edit: I'm attaching my working clover EFI folder on Catalina here, if it helps anyone.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 125
I thought i posted yesterday, maybe i did and i just don't see it. I've been dealing with power outages here in Texas since Sunday.

Here is by Big Sur EFI and my Catalina EFI.

Attachments

• Big Sur EFI.zip
    57.9 MB · Views: 310
  • Catalina EFI.zip
    57.8 MB · Views: 189
It worked!! I had already given up on the idea of installing Big Sur. I just used your EFI with a bootable usb with the Big Sur installer and voila, the upgrade from Catalina was successful.
Thank you so much!

1613533145584.png

It worked!! I had already given up on the idea of installing Big Sur. I just used your EFI with a bootable usb with the Big Sur installer and voila, the upgrade from Catalina was successful.
Thank you so much!

View attachment 509623
Like you, I'd given up on installing Big Sur. I've not had good luck at all.
I have same motherboard as you. You use this OpenCore EFI on a bootable usb with Big Sur installer? Then upgraded from Catalina and copy the EFI over to your boot drive?
Looking for some clarification and hoping that I can get this upgrade!
Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back