Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Finally got Yosemite 10.10.3 installed

Asus Z97-A
Intel i5-4460
Dell U2415
Hitachi mechanical Disk (for OSX) (~300GB)
Samsung 850 EVO (for Linux)
8+8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury

I got all possible failures (deadbeef in various places, installer stuck on a grey screen, essentials.pkg), but eventually I got lucky and a couple of clean boots and managed to install Multibeast.

I changed the following to the default BIOS (version 2205)

• DRAM Frequency 1600
  • Intel Virtualisation Disabled
  • xHCI Auto
  • EHCI Handsoff Enabled
  • LAN Disabled
  • Fat Boot Disabled
  • OS Type Other OS
  • SATA_2 (linux disk) Disabled

I really did not want to open the machine and remove anything.
I the booted with

-x -v

sometimes adding maxmem=4096 other times maxmem=8192 (or not)

I am not sure if any of these changes are really needed, it seems to be a matter of trying enough times to get a couple of clean boots, then once you get to Multibeast it "always" boots.
My memory fails the row hammer tests, but I doubt the installer triggers it.
Whenever there is a deadbeef or similar I would re-boot with a different maxmem.

I even managed to partition the HD so I can use the rest for other OSes.

In Multibeast I only added the driver for ACL892 and the one for the LAN (AppleIntel 3.1.0 IIRC)
First time I did select an option like "1080p something", but that was a bad choice as the monitor resolution was low.
Next time, skipped it, and get full 1920x1200.

I get LAN and audio (for the audio in OSX I selected "speakers" even though it should be line out. the cable it attached to the line out jack on the mobo, not the jack on the case. might be a difference in naming conventions wrt GNOME 3)

Only odd thing is that for a few times *after* the installation I had to boot with a modified BIOS (like above but with LAN), otherwise it would hang before the login, but today I booted with normal BIOS and worked.

OSX Updated with no issues a couple of components (nothing major: itunes, camera...)

Next I need to find a nice and clean way to dual boot without going into the BIOS.
I need to try to boot OSX from GRUB.

Andrea

Actually, like other people have reported I can only boot in verbose mode.
Otherwise it stops at about 30% in a progress bar under the Apple Logo.

If I use the BIOS settings used for the installation I can boot without verbose, so there might be something it does not like, but odd that with verbose it works.

Guess I should find out which BIOS setting it does not like... but not right now.

So...how did you install Yosemite...UniBeast? Clover? You guide needs to pass the "spousal test" of completeness.

Ok, I had so much to write.

1) Change BIOS settings as original message
2) Follow instruction for Unibeast here

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

3) Always boot with "-x -v"
4) Any time I got stuck for deadbeef, progress bar stuck, essentials.pkg, rainbow mouse cursor, I would reboot and try combinations of these boot flags

-no-zp (which I forgot to mention in the original message)
maxmem=4096 (or 8192)

5) after 5 or 6 attempts, the installer gets to the end and one can install Multibeast (audio ACL892, LAN AppleIntel 3.1.0)

6) the final boot worked for me with "-x -v -no-zp maxmem=8192" but I almost sure the same set of flags failed on a previous boot. I cannot explain the random behaviour of the installer.

7) I did not open the case, nor remove physically memory or SATA cables

8) post installation: I realised that if I want to boot with normal BIOS I need to pass the verbose flag (can be done via Multibeast), otherwise it hangs like others have reported at 30% progress bar

.. should have not forgotten anything ...

Next challenge is to dual boot with GRUB or Chimera without going into the BIOS to select boot device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back