Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
[Success] Asus P8Z77M-Pro i5 3.2 w/ nVidia GTX 650Ti Boost

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M PRO - BIOS 2105
CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3470
GPU: EVGA GTX650Ti Boost (removed old Paliit Nvidia GT 640)
RAM: 16 GB Kingston DDR3 1600 mhz
HDD: SATA2 80 Gb (my test drive)
DVD: LiteOn iHAS524 B
MONITOR: Samsung 23" LED
PSU: ThermalTake 630w 80+
Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

This system has run OSX ML 10.8.5 successfully for a couple of months now without issues using a Sata3 2TB. I've decided to test the Maverick waters first before migrating.

It all started with the latest 2015 BIOS being patched.
  • downloaded latest BIOS 2015 from the ASUS download area
  • used PMPatch method outlined in the following link...
    http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/simple-way-to-patch-your-own-bios/
  • renamed patched BIOS to P8Z77MP.CAP and copied it to the root of my USB thumb drive
  • shut the system down (power should still be flowing, the mobo green light should be on)
  • plugged in the USB thumb drive to the flashback port, pressed the flashback button. the flashback light will keep flashing and stop when done
  • unplug USB thumb drive and powered the PC up

I did not find a need to touch the default BIOS settings, its just that i don't need the Serial and Parallel ports to be enabled. Also my Kingston Memory needs timings of 10-10-10-27 and 1.5v so I've set those.

Downloaded OS X 10.9 - Mavericks and created a bootable Unibeast installer
Booted and installed using -x option only and everything went smoothly
I ran into several problems using different Multibeast options, turns out my other drive was dying so I used a different test drive.

I found HenryLui's guide and used it as a starting point...
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...fo-p8z77-m-pro-i7-3-4-sapphire-hd-6870-a.html

Made some changes of my own
  • Drivers > Audio >Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > ALC892
  • I did not use Customize > Boot Options > GraphicEnabler=Yes

Edited org.chameleon.Boot.plist and added these line...

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>dart=0</string>

Power cycled my computer. No issues booting up, made subtle change to the way OSX works and thats it. Next leap will be a full install on my 2TB Sata3 drive... I just need to make sure this is a stabale OS before upgrading my master drive with a fresh install.

Thanks to everyone here who has shared their knowledge and experiences!
:clap:

screens at the bottom...

Attachments

• v33s-MB-Config-01.jpg
    v33s-MB-Config-01.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 4,109
  • v33s-MB-Config-02.jpg
    v33s-MB-Config-02.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 584
  • v33s-MB-Config-03.jpg
    v33s-MB-Config-03.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 665
Good job.

MultiBeast 6 change the default GE to No so your nVidia 600/700 graphics cards will work with the default GE=No.

BTW, the MultiBeast Features document, which use to come with MultiBeast v5.5.3 and earlier, is now build into MultiBeast's Help or on the multiBeast.com site. Page 3 still has the defaults listed for UserDSDT, DSDT Free and EasyBeast. :thumbup:

Good job.

MultiBeast 6 change the default GE to No so your nVidia 600/700 graphics cards will work with the default GE=No.

BTW, the MultiBeast Features document, which use to come with MultiBeast v5.5.3 and earlier, is now build into MultiBeast's Help or on the multiBeast.com site. Page 3 still has the defaults listed for UserDSDT, DSDT Free and EasyBeast. :thumbup:

Thank you!

I really love the way Multibeast 6.0 was designed, the interface is soo much cleaner and easier to use. The save/load feature is one of the many things I love about it.

Oh, wow... I never checked the help. So thats why i did not see any pdf or docs included, was wondering about that. Thanks again!

Update: decided to install Mavericks on my 1TB Sata3 drive using the latest Unibeast 3.0.1 build. Works perfectly.

Got to install Adobe CC software too, good thing i read up and used the latest OSX Java 2013-05. Link to it below, in case you guys need it...

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572

Thanks a lot for explain in detail your config. Very useful for me.

I have installed with success Mavericks and Windows 8.1 with this motherboard
using 1 ssd for each one and the same options in multibeast.
I used GTX 660 during the install and works with no issue with Mavericks.

All works perfectly also the HDMI audio (with Toleda's tutorial):
- 1080P resolution (graphics enabler = NO)
- sleep and wake
- HDMI audio (the same dsdt.aml used for montain lion 1 year ago)

Note about the dualboot:

- I unplugged first SSD1 (Mavericks) and installed Windows 8.1 on SSD2. After this, i unplugged SSD2 (Windows 8.1) and plugged SSD1 to install Mavericks.
Finally plugged SSD2. Chimera 2.2.1 works ok and i can change SO without a problem.

Cheers ; )

hi can you send me yours configuration of MultiBeast on Maverick, and what version and did you do many changes in bios? Because I have problem with sleep and don't know where is my mistake:/

hi can you send me yours configuration of MultiBeast on Maverick, and what version and did you do many changes in bios? Because I have problem with sleep and don't know where is my mistake:/

tokarool, are you using a P8Z77-M Pro or a P8Z77-V Pro? because if it is the same as my board I can send you the version 2105 BIOS i'm currently using. if your having issues with Sleep mode, you need to patch the BIOS. once it's patched you don't need to make any changes to the BIOS settings, it will boot using defaults. the link on how to do it is on my first post.

the Multibeast settings are as shown on my snapshot in the first post, just re-posting here for convenience...

71397d1382905943-success-asus-p8z77m-pro-i5-3-2-w-nvidia-gt-640-v33s-mb-config-01.jpg

I really hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
tokarool, are you using a P8Z77-M Pro or a P8Z77-V Pro? because if it is the same as my board I can send you the version 2105 BIOS i'm currently using. if your having issues with Sleep mode, you need to patch the BIOS. once it's patched you don't need to make any changes to the BIOS settings, it will boot using defaults. the link on how to do it is on my first post.

the Multibeast settings are as shown on my snapshot in the first post, just re-posting here for convenience...

71397d1382905943-success-asus-p8z77m-pro-i5-3-2-w-nvidia-gt-640-v33s-mb-config-01.jpg

I really hope this helps!

Thanks! my motherboard is ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt. I have everthing like you and dont have clue why my PC not go to sleep:/ #$@#% :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your build. That is a great motherboard!

Thanks! It really is a stable board, features are nice too.

Thanks! my motherboard is ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt. I have everthing like you and dont have clue why my PC not go to sleep:/ #$@#% :/

did you patch the bios? what about DSDT, have you tried that route? I've read through some post and some of them disregarded patching the bios and used DSDT instead.

hth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back