Contribute
Register

[Success] Asus P8Z77-V LK ~ Core i5-3570K ~ GTX 660

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help! Flashing my bios worked perfectly and now I finally have native power management, but shouldn't auto sleep work now too? I'm using pleaseSleep for this right now for this to work.

auto sleep can be funny. it has no relation to whether sleep is working properly, as many things can prevent a system from autosleeping.

use 'pmset -g assertions' in terminal to see what is keeping the system from auto sleeping.

auto sleep can be funny. it has no relation to whether sleep is working properly, as many things can prevent a system from autosleeping.

use 'pmset -g assertions' in terminal to see what is keeping the system from auto sleeping.

ok, yeah thanks for the 411

OK, a few people in the thread have had some problems that sound similar to mine. This isn't my first Hackintosh build, but the first with this set of hardware, so I'll try to be as descriptive as I can.

My boot from Unibeast-made USB is failing just after DSMOS arrives (see screenshot). Other than -v, I have tried -x, GraphicsEnabler=No, PCIRootUID=0, and all three. None seem to make a difference.

I have the exact same board (ASUS P8Z77-V LK) except paired with a temporary Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge. I have reduced the hardware down to a single 8gb stick of ram, only a SATA hdd on one of the chipset-supplied ports, no graphics card, keyboard plugged directly into a USB 2.0 port on the back. The USB installer is also plugged into one of the USB 2.0 slots.

My bios settings are precisely the same as the OP's, except there isn't a 'disable secure boot' option, only setting secure boot OS to "other", which other sites say is the ASUS equivalent.

I have tried using the unmodded 800ish bios that the board shipped with, and then using PMFlash and FTK tools to mod and flash with 908 and 1001 versions, no effect.

I'm not sure it matters, but the HD has 3 partitions - the 100mb windows system partition, and empty 40gb partition, and then a 110gb windows partition (in order)

I'd appreciate any tips on what to try, I can tinker with it if I can just get to the damn install screen :) Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Aha, plugging the USB drive into one of the 3.0 slots in the back got past it, but stuck on a "Still waiting for root device". I'll try some other things.

EDIT AGAIN: I was wrong, it actually wasn't getting as far with the USB in the 3.0 slot. Still stuck after ethernet.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 232
I am preparing to do a similar build with the same motherboard

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
CPU: Intel i7-3770k @ 3.5ghz
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2gb gddr5

120gb Samsung 840 Series SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 7200rpm 6gbps
32gb(4x8gb) G Skill Sniper Series memory

I have windows 7 installed on the SSD and was planning to partition the 2TB drive with either 250gb or 500gb and install mountain lion on there. Will I have any issues doing so? I am concerned with flashing the bios on the board possibly interfering with my windows 7 install.

@ Rakurai - Hmm... I dunno, you could try some boot flags. Search google for common boot options or use the Help option at install boot screen. arch=i386 ... -s ... Keep trying :)

Here's an old list.
Here's another.

How long did you wait for it to be unstuck? If you haven't done so, you could just let it sit for hours. Probably already tried that, though.

Minor detail here: my keyboard might have been PS/2. Not sure. I know the mouse was plugged into USB-2 port.
I remember at some point, the PS/2 KB wasn't working, until I installed the kext or w/e in Multibeast.​

@ Wolvertonm - Sounds like your disk setup is pretty much like mine -- existing Win7 on SSD -- partition on HDD for OSX.

I didn't have trouble flashing BIOS (using 0908 still). Learn more: <link 1> <link 2>
You might wanna look into changes with the newer BIOS, good/bad.

The more delicate part of dual-booting is bootloaders. Windows can be picky, but Chameleon (the bootloader installed with Multi-beast) seems pretty good at linking to the existing bootloaders. My original post has a tiny section called "on dual-booting".

If you mess up your Windows bootloader, you can run automated Repair by booting the Win7 install disc, or a WinRE disc. If that doesn't work, you can repair it manually or even totally rebuild it.

You can also play it safe & remove all other drives except your OSX target HDD. Many recommend this. I'm not sure if this would prevent Chameleon from creating a "boot entry" for Windows... I think it would be fine. I think it offers whatever drives it finds, each bootup.

So, if Chameleon is installed to OSX partition (post-install, with Multi-Beast), & Win.bootloader is installed to the Win.drive (as is default), you can set your BIOS (or hit F8) to boot either drive -- & thus load that drive's bootloader. I set BIOS to boot my OSX drive, so that I can use Chameleon to boot OSX, or to "hand over" to the Windows bootloader.​

Here are a few other user builds with the same motherboard:

stickfigure - 3570K - GTX 660 Ti - they set BIOS to PCI-E graphics before install (For me it required iGPU pre-install, PCI-E post-install).

BenihanaDarkslide - 3770K - iGPU graphics - in BIOS they set iGPU Memory to 96M, & they used the newer 1001 BIOS.

moddage - 3770K - Radeon graphics

Chad78 - 3570K - iGPU

jspec2012 - 3770 - Radeon HD 6870 - OSX Lion (in post #1 at least)

Hope this isn't considered necro'd. I have almost the exact same build (with a GTX-460 instead) running ML 10.8.4. The only issue I see is that I get an EBIOS error on boot. I was also having trouble playing HD DRM files in iTunes until I rolled back to iTunes 10.7 and ran it in 32-bit mode; I have yet to try re-upgrading to 11.0.4 though.

Have you seen the EBIOS error on your build? Did you manage to find a way to get rid of it?

EDIT: I fixed it. I have a USB card reader installed; 4 ports results in 4 errors (because they're being detected as HDDs by default). I changed the type to "Forced FDD" for all four of them, and now the errors are gone.

The iTunes issue remains, though it won't be much of an issue to me since I have alternate methods of buying and watching HD videos.

The iTunes issue remains, though it won't be much of an issue to me since I have alternate methods of buying and watching HD videos.

I use VLC Media Player.

For music, I sure wish there was a foobar2000 for Mac.

Hi all, I have a similar build, except I chose Asus GTX660Ti 2GB DDR5 (OC edition). I have the whole set up build, waiting for OS installation. I'm just curious the cloning of a backup of ML 10.8.3 step is it necessary? I'm a noob, first time building a hackintosh. Kindly enlighten me.

This portion:

SUCCESS!
Afterwards I made a backup image of the properly functioning OSX. There are numerous ways to do this -- I'm more familiar with Windows in this regard (Clonezilla, DriveImageXML, Ghost...)

I just used Disk Utility's Restore function. This must be done outside of OSX:
Remove GTX 660 (unless you know how to boot Installer with this card)
Boot OSX Installer USB (Using onboard graphics)
In installer, use Disk Utility to "Restore" OSX Image to backup partition. Wipes over target partition I believe?
* Other backup software like Clonezilla creates an image file rather than wiping the partition -- usually more convenient & flexible (& quite fast)

Hi all, I have a similar build, except I chose Asus GTX660Ti 2GB DDR5 (OC edition). I have the whole set up build, waiting for OS installation. I'm just curious the cloning of a backup of ML 10.8.3 step is it necessary? I'm a noob, first time building a hackintosh. Kindly enlighten me.

This portion:

SUCCESS!
Afterwards I made a backup image of the properly functioning OSX. There are numerous ways to do this -- I'm more familiar with Windows in this regard (Clonezilla, DriveImageXML, Ghost...)

I just used Disk Utility's Restore function. This must be done outside of OSX:
Remove GTX 660 (unless you know how to boot Installer with this card)
Boot OSX Installer USB (Using onboard graphics)
In installer, use Disk Utility to "Restore" OSX Image to backup partition. Wipes over target partition I believe?
* Other backup software like Clonezilla creates an image file rather than wiping the partition -- usually more convenient & flexible (& quite fast)

Hackintosh up and running but getting Boot Error trying to boot from 1TB harddisk... Can only boot from Unibeast thumbdrive.....

Hackintosh up and running but getting Boot Error trying to boot from 1TB harddisk... Can only boot from Unibeast thumbdrive.....

There is no real details to go on here, if you have a green or blue WD drive that you are booting from then they do cause Boot0 problems, try MacMan's boot0 Error: The Official Thread

Otherwise please supply further relevant info for help purposes :thumbup:

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back