Contribute
Register

[Success] ASUS P8P67, Core i7 2600k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retrostate,

I gotta bug you with yet another question...
the guide you mention says that he has to type busratio=29 at every boot - is that the case with you as well? Also, it says Sleep isn't working - how about your build, does it work?
Thanks again...

Blofeld said:
Retrostate,

I gotta bug you with yet another question...
the guide you mention says that he has to type busratio=29 at every boot - is that the case with you as well? Also, it says Sleep isn't working - how about your build, does it work?
Thanks again...

yes you need to type busratio=29 at every boot.
I have almost the same build, just another graphics card. I also have to append -x PciRoot=1. But you can set this later in the KernelFlags of your com.apple.Boot.plist so you dont have to type it everytime

Sleep also dont work for me

Yeh no sleep here either. Not too much of a problem really but would be nice to get it working eventually.

I have my boot flags in my Com.boot file

the second guide i mention in my original post has info on what to do here.

Hi,

I am currently building my system and this statement confused me:
retrostate said:
I also chose to use the P8P67 over the P8P67-M as it allowed my ram to run at 1600MHz by default. I'm not too sure on the compatability of the -M boards however, maybe someone else here could shed some light.
How is that? Why would the -M model not allow 1600MHz by default? It is using the same chipset, isn't it? I found another thread regarding the -M, but he or she failed at that time and has not posted any update yet.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but perhaps here's the best place for my further questions:
- Does OSX support the 6Gb SATA port on the board?
- Does anybody know whether a busratio >29 could be possible in the future? Guess no one knows, but your opinions are very welcome.
- I found the fix for the bluetooth issue in another thread, can anybody confirm BT is working flawlessly (and without rebooting into Linux) now?
- Is the onboard FW working? (Maybe that has already been answered and I overlooked it.)
- Has anybody tried the TRIM enabler for SSDs?

I am currently planning the following system, feel free to comment if you spot severe mistakes: ;)

ASUS P8P67-M PRO R3 (need µATX)
Intel i7 2600K (is the K any good when the busratio needs to be <=29 ?)
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B
G.Skill DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (any other advices? seems they are just a tiny bit too high for the Mugen2...)
be quiet! Pure Power L7 530W
OCZ Solid3 120GB + a larger SATA harddrive
GTX470 card (would love CUDA compatibility, any other tips?)

Hi there, I have answers to some of your questions but not all.

Firstly, here is the product specs the ASUS website states for both the P8p67-m and the P8p67 regarding supported memory.

P8P67-m
4 x DIMM, Max. 32 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/2133(O.C.)*/1866(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
P8P67
4 x DIMM, Max. 32 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

I'm not sure how crucial this really is but I just bought the one that suited the RAM I was buying. I'm not big on motherboard specs so I just went for what I knew should work.

- Does OSX support the 6Gb SATA port on the board?
Yes, my OSX hard-drive is a 6Gb drive running through a 6Gb port.

- Does anybody know whether a busratio >29 could be possible in the future? Guess no one knows, but your opinions are very welcome.
No idea, sorry

- I found the fix for the bluetooth issue in another thread, can anybody confirm BT is working flawlessly (and without rebooting into Linux) now?
Same as before here, booting into Windows is still required to 'activate' bluetooth. I dont use it all that often (wired keyboard/mouse) so haven't really searched for a solution.

Hope that helps you a little, sorry I can't answer the other questions.

Your system looks good to me, not sure about the RAM height thing, just google around for others' experiences I guess. ;)

Hi retrostate,

thanks for your detailled answer... appreciate it!

I am still confused which RAM I should get then, I'm actually less into it than you (built my last pc 10 years ago). Maybe that means that 1600 are only needed when overclocking? But then, that doesn't make sense to me. Why should the smaller form factor use a different multiplier for the RAM? Maybe someone else can provide some insights.

Also, I have yet to investigate whether higher multipliers are possible. E.g. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19271 reports 4Ghz and for a multiplier of 29 that would mean 144MHz base speed. Doesn't sound plausible to me.

Fix for bluetooth is here:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18410

nb5000 said:
Hi retrostate,

thanks for your detailled answer... appreciate it!

I am still confused which RAM I should get then, I'm actually less into it than you (built my last pc 10 years ago). Maybe that means that 1600 are only needed when overclocking? But then, that doesn't make sense to me. Why should the smaller form factor use a different multiplier for the RAM? Maybe someone else can provide some insights.

Also, I have yet to investigate whether higher multipliers are possible. E.g. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19271 reports 4Ghz and for a multiplier of 29 that would mean 144MHz base speed. Doesn't sound plausible to me.

Fix for bluetooth is here:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18410

why not use 1333 MHz. Works fine on my P8P67 and should also work with the -M.

H0ff1 said:
That's part of my question ;) I'm absolutely not into technical details and am wondering what happens when you use 1600 RAM. Does it run with 1333MHz or is the RAM multiplier automatically set to to 16? As I my field of application (scientific computing (CPU) and music production (CPU)) does depend on memory bandwidth rather than GPU speed, I have to figure out what's best here.

nb5000 said:
H0ff1 said:
That's part of my question ;) I'm absolutely not into technical details and am wondering what happens when you use 1600 RAM. Does it run with 1333MHz or is the RAM multiplier automatically set to to 16? As I my field of application (scientific computing (CPU) and music production (CPU)) does depend on memory bandwidth rather than GPU speed, I have to figure out what's best here.

IMHO 1333 MHz are enough. But i dont know if it is also enough for scientific computing. have no idea... but i would say yes :cool:
Maybe someone other can help you better with this.

But im totally happy with my RAM

In the meantime i googled around for an answer. Some things I found out:
- RAM speed for core i2000 is 1333 MHz
- overclocking by setting different multipliers for the CPU (obviously) does not alter RAM speed, thus 1600 is not needed when overclocking via open multipliers.
- it is possible to change the core speed to higher values than 100 MHz, however most people do not recommend it
- most 1333 RAM offer lower latencies (CL7) than similar 1600 ones (CL9), thus it's rate vs. latency.

Overall, most people say it does not matter. However, I was looking for a profound answer and most answers I found via google didn't look profound at all.

Also I found out that most people do not recommend RAM with extra heat sinks.

Thanks for your opinions.... :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back