Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
  3. SE
  4. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Finally!!

After a couple of months of on-again, off-again trying & failing (soooo many forbidden signs and failing to find root device), I've finally got High Sierra installed on my venerable P7P55D-E-Pro with Xeon x3480 and Geforce 460. I've installed onto both a mechanical HDD (WD) and SSD (Sandisk 128GB).

It was a long and complicated road due to the ICH10 SATA controller meaning drives weren't detected or formattable by the HS installer, and when that was overcome, the new part install would fail with a forbidden sign - again, due to lack of being able to find the root device. Legacy BIOS-only makes life more complicated with HS!

I *think* what finally cracked the nut was using clover (4414) to patch the ICH file on the fly (see here for the start of the details: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-ich10r-and-high-sierra.233435/) and very carefully making a High Sierra USB install drive *not* using the Unibeast method, but rather the insanelymac way linked to via the thread above. I've used a range of kexts (voodooPS2 et al) and a bewildering array of fixes ticked in config.plist - most of which I'm sure aren't needed. 14,2 system definition.

Once up at desktop, I installed clover 4414 on to the main hard drive as per usual, customizing the install onto the MBR and *not* the (non-existent) ESP/EFI partition. Replaced i.e. cut-and-pasted the CLOVER folder from the install USB straight over the freshly installed one.

These days I have a Focusrite 2i4 USB audio interface, which works out of the box, so there's no more hacking VoodooHDA kexts to get the VT1828S on-board sound working. Sweet.

Anyway, I'm very happy to finally have this High Sierra nut cracked on such old kit! :)

Last edited:
I have a similar motherboard (Regular p7p55d) and had nothing but troubles with high sierra. Those ICH10 patches were the fix for all of my issues. Just so you know the p7p55d and the p7p55d-e don't use the ICH10 controller. They use the intel series 5 controller. I think it's older than the ICH10.

I'm curious; are you using a patched DSDT? I've been using once since 10.6. If I can get rid of it and use nothing but built-in clover patches then that'd be great.

Also, you're using imac14,2 system definition? I could never get imac14 to boot with mine. I used to use imac11,3. I'm using macpro5,1 now which also seems to work.

I'm using the 1602 DSDT from here, in the patched folder. I have no idea whether it's needed or what effect it's having, to be honest.

Interesting that the 14,2 works for me. My Xeon is detected correctly in system information, including the overclock to 3.83GHz :)

In some ways, the 5,1 definition would be a closer match, so I might do that just for fun.

Interesting. I did not know the xeon x3460 worked with the p55 chipset. After doing some research it appears the x3460 will in fact work with my plain old p7p55d. I'm ordering one for $30 from ebay to replace my i5-750. Thanks sos86, I would've never though to try it until I saw this post.

Interesting. I did not know the xeon x3460 worked with the p55 chipset. After doing some research it appears the x3460 will in fact work with my plain old p7p55d. I'm ordering one for $30 from ebay to replace my i5-750. Thanks sos86, I would've never though to try it until I saw this post.

Actually, you should be able to go one better and grab an x3480, which is faster clocked. I have mine running at 3.8GHz, idle temps around 48C with a Scythe Kotetsu SCKTT-1000 cooler and conductonaut. The x3480 is the fastest chip you can get for the P55 board.

(my thread: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d=1&model=P7P55D-E+PRO&page=1&SLanguage=en-us)

[EDIT: The build selector won't let you select an x3480, but my signature has it correct!]

Last edited:
Actually, you should be able to go one better and grab an x3480, which is faster clocked. I have mine running at 3.8GHz, idle temps around 48C with a Scythe Kotetsu SCKTT-1000 cooler and conductonaut. The x3480 is the fastest chip you can get for the P55 board.

(my thread: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d=1&model=P7P55D-E+PRO&page=1&SLanguage=en-us)

[EDIT: The build selector won't let you select an x3480, but my signature has it correct!]
I'm also having that P7P55D-E board - extremely surprised to learn it can be upgraded to Xeon CPU !! :) - I'm on Quad Core i7 2.94 GHz.

I went last year (thanks to many help on this site) from Mountain Lion to El Capitan - works like a charm. Also doing audio work (external RME on Firewire) and use onboard card with the Voodoo drivers...

Now thinking of that move to High-Sierra (we're likely at last update on this version - 10.13.6)

I'm far from being expert and wonder if this is worth. Usually I'm more on the 'don't fix if not broken' side, and my only reason at this stage is the HEIF and HEVC media extensions which can only be dealt with High-Sierra and up (upgraded iPhone 5s to 8+...), but I can also manage this on my MacbookPro mid-2012, so it would not be a 'must' to have it on my main desktop, but a 'great plus'...

I'd like to hear more about the 'nothing but troubles' with High-Sierra (eradicator006 and/or others) I am risking here...

Cheers,

Hi there, fellow Asus P7P55D-E owners. I'd taken a break from hackintoshing (is that a word?) when Sierra & High Sierra didn't work very well on my setup. With the announcement of Mojave and a few spare hours, I thought I'd give it another go. I took a shortcut & cloned my MacBook SSD (Mojave) onto a spare Samsung 840 and installed MultiBeast on it.

To my surprise it booted first time and only needed the NIC kext added. All is good, apart from the graphics glitches (garbeled windows & menus after a while). I realise there are no Nvidia web driver yet available for Mojave but I remember my GFX 660Ti working fine with Apple drivers before, on Mavericks.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

Well I'll be...

Posting this from Mojave on my P7P55D-E-Pro as I type this!

Used the Unibeast install to create a Mojave installer in High Sierra. Used Clover Configurator to patch the kext as per this link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...series-5-motherboards-ahci-workaround.261851/ rebooted, installed, working!

Had to tweak a few settings to get the LAN working - Inject kexts "Yes" and ticked LanFix.

It's even working with my ancient GTX460, although the Dock is a milky colour, so I'm not sure I'm getting all the fancy metal effects.

Well I'll be...

Posting this from Mojave on my P7P55D-E-Pro as I type this!

Used the Unibeast install to create a Mojave installer in High Sierra. Used Clover Configurator to patch the kext as per this link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...series-5-motherboards-ahci-workaround.261851/ rebooted, installed, working!

Had to tweak a few settings to get the LAN working - Inject kexts "Yes" and ticked LanFix.

It's even working with my ancient GTX460, although the Dock is a milky colour, so I'm not sure I'm getting all the fancy metal effects.
Good job sos86!
As long as you're not suffering from video glitches like me... Looks like GTX 660Ti is not supported under Mojave & I'm considering a modest upgrade to a GTX 680.

Turns out my GTX460 is supported, with the following patch/kest:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-fermi-on-macos-mojave.260204/

Metal is "supported" along with GUI transparency effects, and Dark Castle works again! Only minor issue is a dark/dim top menu bar (am on light mode, non-dynamic).

That said, I've got an AMD RX580 on the way (mainly for upgraded gaming performance).

EDIT: The Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB card works pretty much out of the box - no Lilu or WhatEverGreen needed, but only using the Display Port output (I couldn't get HDMI or DVI to work no matter what). Using Orinoco framebuffer and 14,2 SMBIOS. Yay!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back