Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

I just tried to set XMP to auto, which makes the memory to 2133. (My memory is g.skill 3200)

The disconnecting is still there.

So if you have not purchased a new memory (I recall you mentioned that), save your memory.

It seems not to blame your current memory.
Yes, I bought the Corsair Vengeance LPX memory at 2666 MHz, but this did not help to solve the problem with USB. I already sold this memory, leaving faster HyperX.

I was able to install mojave, thanks to this thread, but ran to some issues with my wifi/bt card. The Lenovo card i received seems to be faulty. Left side antenna connection is missing a part. I already contacted the seller for another one but is there a way to make this work as is?
As I understand it, you cannot connect the antenna to the Lenovo module, because the connector is damaged on this. Yes, your module will work even with one antenna, but in this case the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signal will be significantly weaker. You can also not connect antennas at all, but the radius of their work will be 2 - 5 meters, instead of 10 - 20 meters with two antennas connected.

IMG_6752.JPG

It works! And the seller said that he will send another card as soon as possible. I'm able to use macig mouse and wifi works aswell. Signal isn't that great but works for now as i use 4G connection with my phone and can keep it next to the antenna.

Yes you need the DSDT/RTC Patch for higher Versions. Most of us including me, recommend the newest BIOS 4.0. Yes you cant go back, but the BIOS versions between stock and 4.0 are also not so good. So take the shoot.

Did you find some big differences of your built between the versions before 1.x and so on and 4.0?

Did you find some big differences of your built between the versions before 1.x and so on and 4.0?

I could only install MacOS with 4.0 because my i5-9600K seems to be some new revision. Also beware, the BIOS Setting for the iGPU Memory Sharing must be on Auto, otherwise you get crashing. My Mac runs very good, I'm just left with two small problems. Power Button doesn't work after macOS boot, and the USB stick eject after sleep.

Thanks for the information. I tried to solve this problem in all ways, including replacing the RAM with another, but nothing helped me. The problem is observed on all versions of the BIOS.

I won’t tell you about Thunderbolt - I don’t use it at all.

TB3 patches seem to be affected by TB BIOS settings and Clover updates. So re-check your TB3 settings (esp the Boot Once and the USB), then do a shutdown, pull the electric plug, press the on button a few times, re-plug the computer, and finally re-boot it.

Last edited:
If the problem is really this, then all users of this assembly should have it.

What say @rj510, can this be the case? Do you experience such a problem with USB sticks?

I don't use them. I use USB SSDs and seem to have no issue with them. I often use USB SSDs to try out new things to I don't clobber my internal SSD. These USB SSD are are clone of my internal SSD with their own EFI that I test.

Hello @rj510 !

Thank you very much for this built and guide.
I use the same board, but with the i7 9700k. I got it working for nearly one year now. Made my costume SSDT for USB Ports and so on. It was working kind of stable, the only issue that i have had was my UAD Apollo Twin was just recognised after booting another time. Using my config i also had to use the VGTab.kext to get the fans of my Vega 56 working fine. Also shut down has always been a little issue.

Last week I checked your post and gave your config file and SSDT's a try and i have to admit: WOW, you really did a good job. Just by looking at your config. I understood that you have way more knowledge than myself and now the system runs pretty good. Still i have to reboot sometimes for a second time to get my Apollo working, but all the other stuff is working fine.

I have one Question regarding the bios. I'm still on the stock Version (i think its 1.2), cause everytime i tried to get higher i was stucked into the booting process. It took me a while to find out that (i still don't understand why) this is the only version which works without any extra fix.

I saw in your config that you have some sort of BIOS fix in there, so am i now save to upgrade the bios? Which Version would you recommend? Cause if i do so I will do then a clean install, using your "great work".

Thank you very much again - you made my hackintosh become a better hackintosh!

That's good to hear!

All TB connections seem to be sporadic. When things seem strange, I try to do a full power down: shutdown the computer, pull the electric plug, press the on button a few times, re-plug the computer, and finally re-boot it.

As for the BIOS, the paragraph below is from page one of this thread. I still use v1.6. The patch (present in the config file, should allow v1.6 to function well, but if things are working with v1.2, and you've had trouble with v1.6, I'd stick with v1.2.

One key was updating the BIOS to v1.6. There are several threads discussing the benefits of v1.2. But I could not get consistent results with v1.2 and decided to test out v1.6. It works very well, but does require some specific settings in BIOS (see Spoiler, below). I did keep @pupin's patch active in the ACPI/DSDT Patch section of Clover (see the attached config.plist files below).

As I understand it, you cannot connect the antenna to the Lenovo module, because the connector is damaged on this. Yes, your module will work even with one antenna, but in this case the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signal will be significantly weaker. You can also not connect antennas at all, but the radius of their work will be 2 - 5 meters, instead of 10 - 20 meters with two antennas connected.

View attachment 421343

One antenna is for BT, the other for Wifi. One won't have a very good range.

I could only install MacOS with 4.0 because my i5-9600K seems to be some new revision. Also beware, the BIOS Setting for the iGPU Memory Sharing must be on Auto, otherwise you get crashing. My Mac runs very good, I'm just left with two small problems. Power Button doesn't work after macOS boot, and the USB stick eject after sleep.

I've seen the USB stick eject issue with other builds, so I'm not certain it is unique to this build. One thing is to make certain the definition for the USB port you're plugging it into is not set to 255, but either 0x00 (USB2) or 0x03 (USB3).

As for the power button, when I hold it down (or even directly short the pins on the mobo), the computer turns off. I press again and the computer re-boots. If you think the button may be faulty, disconnect the plug going to the button, and then directly short the two pins on the mobo (see manual for which pins) with a paperclip or small screwdriver. The button is simply a switch that shorts these same pins together.

Back