Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Thanks for the detailed guide.

I just completed my new build which is quite similar to yours.

It works near perfect!!! Thanks so much!!

There are several questions confusing me.

1. I am not sure my iGPU works as expected.

The iGPU works normally with both h264/hevc acceleration. However, I cannot monitor the iGPU's status on both Intel Power Gadget (I do not have the green line as others) and HWMonitor. I am not sure whether it blame to SMC or iGPU setting. Also, the GPU shows as "Intel KBL unknown" on the hackintool. I am not sure if it is expected.

View attachment 419285View attachment 419286View attachment 419289

2. A difference between mine and yours is the SSD. I use 970 evo. It seems works fine but is not shown in "PCI" info. Is this matter and how can I address it if needed?

View attachment 419288

3. Your updated FakeSMC seems not to work as expected on my side. I think it may be related to my 4.0 bios (it comes with my purchase and cannot degrade) and corresponding info changes.

GPU and Fan do not work (as shown in fig1). Do you have any comments to address this? Maybe I need a customed FakeSMC?

Thanks again. This guide is awesome!!!

1. An accelerated iGPU does not appear when playing a subservient role to the graphics card. It's function is implied by results in VideoProc, for example.

2. See attachment. Edit the config.plist file at Devices/Arbitrary for item 4:00, changing Sandisk to Samsung information on the left and right sides.

Devices:Arbitrary-SSD.jpg

3. We're using VirtualSMC and it's associated sensor kexts, not FakeSMC. This also means that in the drivers64UEFI folder there should be VirtualSmc.efi and not SMCHelper.efi (the latter would conflict with VirtualSMC). The change from FakeSMC occurred on this thread on 23 May 2019 (see first post for details).

(I was reading and answering in order, and later saw you already have an answer by jail but here is a slightly different spin.)

Last edited:
1. An accelerated iGPU does not appear when playing a subservient role to the graphics card. It's function is implied by results in VideoProc, for example.

2. See attachment. Edit the config.plist file at Devices/Arbitrary for item 4:00, changing Sandisk to Samsung information on the left and right sides.

View attachment 419302

3. We're using VirtualSMC and it's associated sensor kexts, not FakeSMC. This also means that in the drivers64UEFI folder there should be VirtualSmc.efi and not SMCHelper.efi (the latter would conflict with VirtualSMC). The change from FakeSMC occurred on this thread on 23 May 2019 (see first post for details).

(I was reading and answering in order, and later saw you already have an answer by jail but here is a slightly different spin.)

Thanks for your reply.

May I double-check if the metal device shows "Intel KBL unknown" is expected? Thanks!

I can, and it will show up in Mac, but the problem will not be solved.

I have already tried to disable all components, or replace them with others. The problem always remains. The only thing I didn’t change was RAM. I am considering the possibility of buying a Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 at 2666 MHz. The non-default non-XMP profile has a frequency of 2133 MHz, which guarantees work on the iMac 19.1. If I had known about it before, I would have bought it.

@SergDrakus , just for your information.

I just completed a brand new build which is quite similar to rj510's.

I use G.Skill 3200 16GB*2 memory, and also have the week-up USB disconnecting issue.

@SergDrakus , just for your information.

I just completed a brand new build which is quite similar to rj510's.

I use G.Skill 3200 16GB*2 memory, and also have the week-up USB disconnecting issue.
It is sad. It is not clear why such a problem arises with us, if the curator (the author of the topic) does not have it.

Perhaps a problem in configuring the BIOS, either in the Clover.info file, or in some kexts.

What version of bios are you using?

Last edited:
Okay, after updating the BIOS to 4.0 everything went smoothly. Now I hang at the post install. Installation was successfull, but post installation doesn't work for me. I followed cases Z390 Designare post install build, and, after that, I can't boot anymore into macOS. The Bootloader is than extremely slow and crash with a kernel panic. Which of the files i do need know? Do I have to install the Bootloader with MultiBeast or use newest Clover Bootloader installer? Also, I've included the EFI File that I used for installation. I thought now that I create with the the Clover EFI bootloader an EFI partition on my main drive and copy just the contents of EFI-ASRock-z390-PhGm-ITX-noSN inside.

EDIT: I'm using the newest Mojave 10.14.6, config is same mainboard, with RX580 and i5-9600k

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Okay, after updating the BIOS to 4.0 everything went smoothly. Now I hang at the post install. Installation was successfull, but post installation doesn't work for me. I followed cases Z390 Designare post install build, and, after that, I can't boot anymore into macOS. The Bootloader is than extremely slow and crash with a kernel panic. Which of the files i do need know? Do I have to install the Bootloader with MultiBeast or use newest Clover Bootloader installer? Also, I've included the EFI File that I used for installation. I thought now that I create with the the Clover EFI bootloader an EFI partition on my main drive and copy just the contents of EFI-ASRock-z390-PhGm-ITX-noSN inside.

EDIT: I'm using the newest Mojave 10.14.6, config is same mainboard, with RX580 and i5-9600k

Your EFI folder is a bit strange and not like what's on the first post of this thread.

First, there are no files in the ACPI/patched folder. Second, there is no drivers64UEFI folder (there is a drivers folder but this is not used during boot by Clover). And finally, your kexts folder is not like mine at all, missing many files.

As for the config.plist, it's different than what I uploaded with little in common. The idea is to use what was uploaded on this thread for this mobo, use it as-is except for supply SNs.

Finally, there are warnings about BIOS 4.0 possibly breaking things, and I've advised not updating past v1.6 (if you do, your on your own).

So it's no wonder things don't work. I have no idea where you got your EFI, but it doesn't appear to be from this thread. My advice for this mobo, is to download the EFI folder from the first post and use it instead (after supplying new SNs, etc).

Last edited:
I tried to copy your EFI folder to the macOS EFI Partition, also changed serial numbers, but got an kernel panic, maybe its because BIOS 4.0, I don't know. But, the installer I used (newest EFI Bootloader, Reference Vanilla Coffe Lake Hackingtosh) worked, now I'm transfering your kexts and DSDT patches one by one. :) USB 3 works already perfect, thanks for that. Just curious, do I need the other kexts too ? I would like to have at least the hardware monitor setup.

Thanks again for the TB3 and USB 3.0 DSDT Patch, that must have been a lot of work.

Attachments

• Bild 02.08.19 um 21.22.jpg
    Bild 02.08.19 um 21.22.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 124
I tried to copy your EFI folder to the MacOS EFI Partition, also changed serial numbers, but got an kernel panic, maybe its because BIOS 4.0, i dont know. But the installer i used (newest EFI Bootloader, Reference Vanilla Coffe Lake Hackingtosh) worked, now im transfering your kexts and dsdt patches one bye one :) USB 3 works already perfect, thanks for that. Just curious, do i need the other kexts too ? I would like to have at least the hardwaremonitor setup.

Thanks again for the TB3 and USB 3.0 DSDT Patch, that must have been a lot of work.

The drivers64UEFI folder is critical for booting. Some of kexts are critical too (Lilu, WeG, VirtualSMC); other kexts are important for BT/Wifi functioning (you did change out the BT module as described on the first post?). The ACPI patched files are required for TB3 functioning and better power supply management. USBInjectAll together with the boot argument in the config.plist file (which was missing from your uploaded file) is necessary for proper USB port limitations (or you use the USBPorts kext as described in the first post spoiler).

I can only recommend using all files found on the first post to get things up and running. If you later want to change things, alter settings or try eliminating some files, that's fine. But only do so from a stable, running set up (and keep a copy of what worked; experiment on a 2nd back up drive).

Just FYI: in newer versions of Clover, drivers64UEFI was replaced by /drivers/UEFI/. This was the breaking change that caused headaches a few weeks ago and what I'm using currently. What version of Clover are you using, @daca?

Back