Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Then I would try, sleep prevention (run in Terminal):

sudo pmset -g
That's what I see when I enter such a command. Is there anything suspicious?

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 20.52.46.png

After getting out of sleep, my flash drives and other drives are still displayed in the system information.

View attachment 417868

I tried to install Clover on an external SSD, and on an internal SSD drive. Unfortunately, in both cases it did not solve the problem with the release of drives from sleep mode.

View attachment 417872

I have already reflashed the BIOS to 1.2, then to 1.5, then again to 1.6. This does not solve the problem of sleeping flash drives.

Shot in the dark but what speed are you running your Memory at? Try lowering it and see if it helps. Totally random but I remember reading somewhere that this might cause the behavior you're seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot in the dark but what speed are you running your Memory at? Try lowering it and see if it helps. Totally random but I remember reading somewhere that this might cause the behavior you're seeing.
Already tried to lower to 2133, and other values. Unfortunately, it does not help.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? How do we disable XMP on our motherboard? I just manually change the frequency. Maybe this function needs to be disabled somehow?

190723012807.jpg

190723012819.jpg

Selecting "AUTO" should work. You could also go into the DRAM Tweaker and choose one of the non-XMP profiles that are probably available.
I already tried to select Auto, 1, 2. I also tried using DRAM Tweaker to select different profiles (not XMP). This does not change the situation: (

What you're seeing in Q1 is usual. The 630 silently works behind the scenes and does not appear as a separate device. This answers Q4 and Q5 too. Look at other threads (such as CaseySJ's Designare build that I referenced several times), they behave the same way: the iGPU functions in parallel with the graphics card, but is cosmetically silent.

If you want to see how your system truly behaves without the iGPU, go into BIOS and disable it. Then you'll have a system like an iMacPro, NOT like an iMac19,1 and you'll have to change the SMBIOS accordingly. (I'd not recommend doing this, unless you wish to experiment and see how things behave with different SMBIOS settings.)

I would be more concerned with test results than monitoring results. Monitoring results can also depend on whether you're using VirtualSMC or FakeSMC. (You might want to compare each of these methods.) If the Hackintool's settings give you better test results, then I'd go with that method.

My original intent of this thread was to get iGPU alone functioning for a truly SFF build, which is how I use this mobo. When a graphics card is added, the iGPU goes silent in cosmetic reporting except you will see a bump in processing as it supports the graphics card (as I'd earlier addressed here). Another test that you're familiar with is Videoproc. If the iGPU is working, then the graphics status is "Unavailable" rather than "Available" as shown below. My set-up shows "Available", so whether it is cosmetically appearing or not, the bottom-line is that it's working.

View attachment 417548

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that the iGPU would automatically act in tandem with a dGPU — I had hoped to be able to see such acceleration happening, for example in Intel Power Gadget, in order to be assured that it was actually enabled. Based on what caseysj wrote, I suppose the fact QuickLook, Preview, and YouTube in Safari work is a kind of proof (when decoding video like on youtube, I actually do see a small bump in iGPU utilization in IPG), despite it not appearing in "Graphics/Displays". Just a note: DRM video, as in Netflix and probably others, doesn't work in Safari.

Out of curiosity, have you tried driving a display using the TB3 port? The Designare thread recommends this to circumvent the need to perform the framebuffer patch—obviously not necessary with a discrete GPU, but it'd be interesting to know if that works for a SFF setup.

Another quick question: TRIM is enabled by default on the two NVMe Samsung 970 drives I have. However, I've installed an MX500 for additional storage, and TRIM is off. Did you include the "TRIM Enable" patch in your Clover config for this reason, or would you suggest using the `trimforce` command? EDIT: "sudo trimforce enable" enabled TRIM for the MX500. It's probably not necessary to keep that patch in the Clover config, unless there was another reason for it?

Last edited:
If anyone tried the 10.14.6 update and wants to share the process, would be appreciated? (anything to update in terms of kext, etc?)

If anyone tried the 10.14.6 update and wants to share the process, would be appreciated? (anything to update in terms of kext, etc?)
See Post #2.

I updated to 10.14.6 this morning without issue, after backing everything up of course, using the System Preferences updater. Everything seems to work just fine. Folks elsewhere on the forums are saying that Radeon VII performance has improved, but the Geekbench Compute score for the Vega 56 remains about the same (around 140,000).

EDIT: I should mention that I had already been on Clover v5025, and already moved the driver efi files to /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/. Unsure if earlier versions of clover are as smooth of an upgrade.

Last edited:
Back