Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

common issue, happens to my system as well

i think there is an app or script to keep them alive you may be able to search for
I have seen several scripts on the Internet, but I would like to do without them. The author of this topic has exactly the same “iron” as mine, and everything is fine :)

Just wanted to leave a Big Thank You rj510. The guide was spot on. I dropped in a GTX760 instead, no drivers needed. Not sure if I any cleanup is required of the leftover IGPU files but it works as intended.

On the initial attempt I forgot on restart to select the new Install MacOs Partition, which caused some problems, but on second attempt all good.

One thing I notice, but maybe it's a Mojave bug: sometimes the icons don't update properly: for example, when you copy a file it gets the spinner on top, but when it finished copying, it stays with the copying icon still, if anyone has any clue or has seen this before?

PS: I'm thinking of disabling the speedstep and other power saving settings (as they might impact audio latency, which was a problem on PCs), but I saw you left them Enabled. Are those required by any chance?

PPS: The USB3 Headers, HS10 and HS11 seem to work with a usb drive, but not with my wireless keyboard/mouse, any idea why? I'm thinking of disabling the 1 and 2 ports (the other header ports, 2.0, as I don't have them hooked up). What would be the best way to achieve that?

Last edited:
I passed the experiment. I formatted all the drives in different formats.

As a result, all flash drives after getting out of sleep have ceased to be seen in macOS. The same thing happened with the HDD drive connected via USB, but after 2 - 3 seconds it again began to be displayed in the operating system without any problems.

The flash drives were formatted in FAT32, exFAT and APFS, and the external hard drive in exFAT.

View attachment 417396

View attachment 417398

In the "Energy Saving" settings I use the following settings:

View attachment 417399

I think your problem is a common Mac problem. I've had it happen with my Apple MacBook Air. I've fixed it using the following steps.

Down the attached "tools" folder. Decompress. Next, open Terminal and type "cd " and drag the decompressed "tools" folder to the Terminal window and press enter key. This will change directories for Terminal to the "tools" folder. Then, in Terminal type "chmod +x ./fixUSB.sh" followed by the enter key. Next, type "./fixusb.sh" and then the enter key. Finally, enter your password, followed by the enter key.

This process usually fixes such problems with USB drives after sleeping. I've simplified the steps so you do not need to download and compile it. However, if you want to read more about what is happening, go to the original page and read here.

If this does not work, let me know.

I set my Energy Saving as here:
Energy Saver.jpg

Attachments

• tools.zip
    40.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Excellent work on the USB ASL file rj510! However, just a note, USB 2.0 devices only work when inserted before boot, I think.

I've also updated to Clover 5025, consolidated the driver .efi files into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/, and things still work.

Just wanted to leave a Big Thank You rj510. The guide was spot on. I dropped in a GTX760 instead, no drivers needed. Not sure if I any cleanup is required of the leftover IGPU files but it works as intended.

On the initial attempt I forgot on restart to select the new Install MacOs Partition, which caused some problems, but on second attempt all good.

One thing I notice, but maybe it's a Mojave bug: sometimes the icons don't update properly: for example, when you copy a file it gets the spinner on top, but when it finished copying, it stays with the copying icon still, if anyone has any clue or has seen this before?

PS: I'm thinking of disabling the speedstep and other power saving settings (as they might impact audio latency, which was a problem on PCs), but I saw you left them Enabled. Are those required by any chance?

PPS: The USB3 Headers, HS10 and HS11 seem to work with a usb drive, but not with my wireless keyboard/mouse, any idea why? I'm thinking of disabling the 1 and 2 ports (the other header ports, 2.0, as I don't have them hooked up). What would be the best way to achieve that?

Q1 I've not seen this icon issue.

Q2 I'm not certain what you're referring to; can you upload an image?

Q3 I'm not using HS10 or HS11 and they're presently disabled (I don't even have a way of testing them). These ports probably combine with SS07 and SS08, which is why you may be seeing them for USB drive function.

If you're not going to use HS01 and HS02, we can swap with HS10 and HS11. I've attached a version of this for you that removes HS01-02 and injects HS10-11. If this does not work, let me know.

Attachments

• USBPorts-z390-ASRock-PhGmITX-iMac19,1-V8-noHS01-2-withHS10-11.kext.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Special V8.jpg
    Special V8.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Excellent work on the USB ASL file rj510! However, just a note, USB 2.0 devices only work when inserted before boot, I think.

I've also updated to Clover 5025, consolidated the driver .efi files into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/, and things still work.

Yes, devices need to be connected before boot. (Sigh.)

However, with USB 3.1 via the TB3 port, I initially had the TB3 dock connected during boot, un-plugged it and then plugged a USB-C drive into the TB3 port and it loaded just fine at 10 Gbps. So there is a little bit of hot-plugging. But if this drive is then ejected, un-plugged and re-plugged, the drive does not load again.

I'll keep working on it as I'd like to have Vanilla-like hot-plugability. But at least we have good functionality that is usable.

Yes, devices need to be connected before boot. (Sigh.)

However, with USB 3.1 via the TB3 port, I initially had the TB3 dock connected during boot, un-plugged it and then plugged a USB-C drive into the TB3 port and it loaded just fine at 10 Gbps. So there is a little bit of hot-plugging. But if this drive is then ejected, un-plugged and re-plugged, the drive does not load again.

I'll keep working on it as I'd like to have Vanilla-like hot-plugability. But at least we have good functionality that is usable.

Is the hotplug issue only for the tb3 port or for other traditional usb ports?

Q3 I'm not using HS10 or HS11 and they're presently disabled (I don't even have a way of testing them). These ports probably combine with SS07 and SS08, which is why you may be seeing them for USB drive function.

If you're not going to use HS01 and HS02, we can swap with HS10 and HS11. I've attached a version of this for you that removes HS01-02 and injects HS10-11. If this does not work, let me know.

Great, thanks for uploading this. It works, but it seems that if I insert a usb stick in the second header port, after I've installed the Wireless mouse in the first, the mouse icon becomes choppy, so I'll move the mouse to the back and use the side headers for USB Drives instead. In any case, much better than before, so I'll keep it this way.

For the USB-C I've added a hub with an audio interface connected to it. This way the rest of the ports of the Hub are plug and play also at runtime.

Out of curiosity, what Temps are you getting on the M2 Drive (front installed)? It seems to be running 14C+ over the SSD's but I understand it is to be expected.

PS: Also a note for those that don't want to swap the WiFi card for any reason: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-t4u/ this is running smoothly with the drivers found here: https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Adapter-Clover

I think your problem is a common Mac problem. I've had it happen with my Apple MacBook Air. I've fixed it using the following steps.

Down the attached "tools" folder. Decompress. Next, open Terminal and type "cd " and drag the decompressed "tools" folder to the Terminal window and press enter key. This will change directories for Terminal to the "tools" folder. Then, in Terminal type "chmod +x ./fixUSB.sh" followed by the enter key. Next, type "./fixusb.sh" and then the enter key. Finally, enter your password, followed by the enter key.

This process usually fixes such problems with USB drives after sleeping. I've simplified the steps so you do not need to download and compile it. However, if you want to read more about what is happening, go to the original page and read here.

If this does not work, let me know.

I set my Energy Saving as here:
View attachment 417480

Thank you, I have already seen on the Internet information about this method of solving the problem. I would like to solve it by standard means.

Did a complete reinstallation of macOS help you on a MacBook Air?

Note on iGPU configuration:

There are two places I can see monitoring information about the Intel 630: iStat Menus and the Intel Power Gadget. On real Macs, one can also see a second graphics entry in System Information > Graphics/Displays. I think ideally, just like on a real mac, the iGPU should display in System Information, Intel Power Gadget, and iStat, and be available to the OS for acceleration tasks (even if a discrete GPU is installed). I've been experimenting to see how using either your iGPU configuration (Devices > Arbitrary) or one generated by hackintool (Devices > Properties) differ. Throughout these tests, I have left the Vega 56 installed in the PCI slot and haven't disabled it. I'm not sure why I'm seeing what I'm seeing:
  1. Without either configuration applied, Intel Power Gadget displays a "GFX", and I can observe a jump in activity when, in VideoProc, I hit the "refresh" button to trigger it searching for an accelerator to use (although it never changes the readout at the top from Vega 56).
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 11.14.41 PM.png
  2. With your config installed, GFX disappears from Intel Power Gadget and shows up in iStat, as I noted in an earlier post. However, nothing I do actually gets the memory or processor usage to jump from 0—so I actually suspect it's not usable by the OS.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 10.51.30 AM.png
  3. Including both the Hackintool config and yours causes the 630 to vanish from both, so it's likely they can't be used together (unsurprisingly).
  4. No configuration I've seen gets the 630 to appear in System Information
  5. All configurations (even without any iGPU device config) result in GeekBench seeing the 630 under "Your Device", but in all configurations I'm unable to actually run the benchmark on the 630 (it's not in the dropdown).
So, which do you think is best to use? Yours seems to disable the 630, despite it showing up in iStat. Removing both gets it to show up in IPG, and I've seen some activity on the circuit which suggests acceleration is actually enabled. I suspect removing both might be best?

EDIT:
This is the Hackintool config I mentioned:

XML:
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                BAAmGQ==
                </data>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Internal</string>
                <key>device-id</key>