Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Has anyone updated to 12.4 with AMD RX6800 and i7-8600K experience freeze issue after couple minutes of system startup? I reverted back to 12.3.1 and it's all good now.

12.4 i've seen introduced some freezing/bugs on more than just AMD hardware but even apple silicon. The cases with apple silicon seem to be caused by applications that don't have vsync enabled. the desktop itself though i have no idea. 12.4 in general though seems less stable though

Has anyone updated to 12.4 with AMD RX6800 and i7-8600K experience freeze issue after couple minutes of system startup? I reverted back to 12.3.1 and it's all good now.

No problems on mine. I have the RX6900 XTXH, spoofed to RX6900. I've booted into MacOS and Windows back and forth and have left the rig running for hours and through multiple sleep/wake cycles.

No problems here either. I had 12.3 (no aceleration issue on Radeon VII), so sluggish after be able to boot with zirkaiva SSDT for the RX6950, updated to the last version and since sunday no issues with multiple sleep/wake cycles as well.

Hello guys, just found this thread. I'm considering swapping 6800 XT for 6950 XT to get better gaming experience with Windows side still maintaining macOS compatibility. Probably no RDNA 3 future cards support for macOS, don't you think? Is it reasonable to think of spoofing 6900 XT on a 6950 XT as it seems you accomplished this already?

Probably no RDNA 3 future cards support for macOS, don't you think?
May be with the Mac Pro 2019 in 2023/24. if not, it will be a shame from apple to their MacPro 2019 Clients. but I won't be surprised:crazy:

Hello guys, just found this thread. I'm considering swapping 6800 XT for 6950 XT to get better gaming experience with Windows side still maintaining macOS compatibility. Probably no RDNA 3 future cards support for macOS, don't you think? Is it reasonable to think of spoofing 6900 XT on a 6950 XT as it seems you accomplished this already?
I don't know what your you would use it for but keep in mind that Redshift 3D is not working for me neither is World Creator, as it detects my GPU as AMD Radeon HD GFX10 Family Unknown Prototype and 128MB only. Blender works fine though, but I guess Apple will support this GPU I am not so sure about RDNA3.

The performance gains are really little for gaming. I don’t recommend swapping as 6950 XT may consume much time but with little benefits.

I don't know what your you would use it for but keep in mind that Redshift 3D is not working for me neither is World Creator, as it detects my GPU as AMD Radeon HD GFX10 Family Unknown Prototype and 128MB only.
Do you have the same result when you add additional device properties?
Code:
<dict>
    <key>DeviceProperties</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Add</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>@0,name</key>
                <string>ATY,Carswell</string>
                <key>@1,name</key>
                <key>@2,name</key>
                <key>@3,name</key>
                <key>ATY,EFIVersion</key>
                <data>AQABJw==</data>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>ATY,CarswellParent</string>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>AMD Radeon PRO W6900X</string>
                <key>name</key>
                <data>CgDKAAAA</data>
            </dict>
        </dict>
    </dict>
</dict>

I guess in this sample the device-id spoof (BF730000) is missing. And the path need an adjustment.

I am not so sure that would work I had to use zirkaiva's SSDT I could not boot with the device-id spoof settings. So for now I shall just wait and cross fingers for Apple to update AMD kext and include this series because I am in a 3D project and have little time for testing as this is my main machine. In Blender 3.1.2 it works fine, it takes 2X time to render than in windows but that's because Cycles is not optimized for Metal yet.

Back