Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Hello guys,
I just purchased my new

Sappshire Radeon RX 6800 XT 12Gb​

and tried fitting it into my BigSur rig. It would replace my Gigabyte Vega 64.
I got it in, plugged one of my two monitors into a single available HDMI slot on the GPU, others are Displayports, and I realized I don't have any. While I ordered the cables, I wanted to give this now card a go. However, I couldn't go past the BIOS screen. Rebooted, same thing. Felt like my input devices are disconnected.

Any idea what this could be?

RX 6800 XT support started with Monterey 12.1 if I remember correctly.

I think what inspired me to even buy this card was the [success] prefix to this forum's thread with BigSur in its title line.
You're probably right about the formal support, however at this point I can't even enter bios, feels like I'm stuck on the first load screen where I should be able to select DEL, F12, etc. but I can't. Nothing that I press on my keyboard makes any difference. I can reboot, returning to the same start screen.

:rolleyes:

I had to switch back to my Vega 64 for the time being, I need to work, and I rolled back as of right now.
I'll follow recommendations and will keep switching to try other solutions, so please contribute.

it was RX 6600 (XT) ;) .. No offense
haha no worries. Most importantly, it wasn't Big Sur :) If you want to get the latest AMD cards to work when supported by Apple, Monterey is the OS to be on.

I had to switch back to my Vega 64 for the time being, I need to work, and I rolled back as of right now.
I'll follow recommendations and will keep switching to try other solutions, so please contribute.
Do you add the boot arg : agdpmod=pikera ?

I think what inspired me to even buy this card was the [success] prefix to this forum's thread with BigSur in its title line.
You're probably right about the formal support, however at this point I can't even enter bios, feels like I'm stuck on the first load screen where I should be able to select DEL, F12, etc. but I can't. Nothing that I press on my keyboard makes any difference. I can reboot, returning to the same start screen.

If you don’t see the BIOS splash screen (no video output even in BIOS) or you cannot get past the splash screen, then please try:
  • Remove old GPU and install new GPU (avoid having both GPUs installed)
  • Perform CMOS Reset
  • Power up the computer
  • Do you get video signal / can you get past the splash screen?
  • If so, configure BIOS parameters (starting with Load Optimized Defaults)

Last edited:

You added the agdpmod=pikera boot argument, right?
EDIT: Saw someone already asked this.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your kind contributions. Will add
Code:
agdpmod=pikera
First I need to get past the initial bios screen, because everything seems to be locked at that point. CaseySJ recommended CMOS reset, I totally forgot about cmos part - great point to start, and I will try this tomorrow ( my displayport->HDMI should arrive by then. Otherwise even if I succeed, I'll be limited to a single display because of no cables ). I'll post my progress shortly thereafter.
I'll have to recall how I used to backup my fine-tuned bios settings in case I need to quickly roll back to my original config in case I can't get my new GPU running quickly again.

boot arg. agdpmod=pikera

Back