Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Yes, 12.1 beta included drivers for 6600 xt. It will not work on 12.0.1.

It’s been running on my system for 3 days now.
WOW! Thank you for the fast answer! I will try installing 12.1

Yes. it won't be getting further updates. not after intel and apple's partnership soured. dev confirmed they are pulled off of it. when I sent the freeze/KP issue with it and my gpu, they basically said "just uninstall it, we don't support it anymore"

I do miss the cpu frequency stats and better temp stats in menu, but without intel power badget i can at least get approx temp off one of proximity sensors, and it's clear that if it's discontinued, it's probably only gonna get worse with macOS updates. Heck uninstalling it was recommended to me by vit, so that alone was reason enough.

Whether or not it's same issue as you, don't know. I'd need see the panic report you get after a freeze (upon reboot). assuming you have working nvram and panic dumps on reboots variables enabled on your hack.

Whether or not it's same issue as you, don't know. I'd need see the panic report you get after a freeze (upon reboot). assuming you have working nvram and panic dumps on reboots variables enabled on your hack.
I think my issue was unrelated because I still had hat gadget installed when the error was fixed by switching SMBIOS. My freeze was purely graphic. Sound and applications were still running when the screen froze (mouse wasn't frozen). My assumption is that some of the background work (DRM, quicklook) just hanged the GPU so offloading that to the IGPU was the fix. I gave up DRM but it's fine as I don't need it anyways.

The panic report after reboot was always just a watchdog timeout informing me that the GPU driver wasn't reacting anymore.

Thanks all contributors!

By using page 105
It really worked to flash the BIOS of a Nov 2021 edition of XFX RX 6900 XT MERC 319 Limited Black, per instruction.

After rebooting with agdpikera in boot arguments and recent WhateverGreen kext in OpenCore 0.75 the Monterey 12.0.1 is working with hardware acceleration.
The geekbench 5 score for openCl is around 30% lower than in windows, but i dont game in MACOS so thats OK.
The max Hz in 4k is only 108 Hz, versus 144 Hz in windows. (more annoying for me i really wanted the full 144HZ in MacOS....
But a great improvement compared to before the BIOS flash when i could not get acceleration to work at all.

Hi All,

I finally managed to get the 11.4 installed so i could get my 6800 XT running.

But here is the issue. I have it connected to my LG CX OLED with a hdmi 2.1.

I can't get 4k/120hz/ycbcr444/10 bit.

I can only do 4k/30hz/ycbcr444/10bit.

I have tried to add custom resolution using switresx, but no go.

Does anyone have any idea, how i can get 4k/120hz/ycbcr444/10bit on big sur using any utility or hack.

After all this waiting and i could have gotten 4k/30hz with my 5700. Huge disappointment & frustration to say the least.
Hi @traderdude123 , do you have a workable solution for achieving 4k 120hz via 6800 xt under macOS? Thanks!

Hi all! I tried to enable my Asus TUF RX 6900 XT (73AF) card by method with based ssdt BRG0 and fake id in device properties, but it's not work for me. somebody can help me with this?

Attachments

• iMac.zip
    872.4 KB · Views: 95

With that in mind, did they do any more device ID additions?
Unfortunately no new device IDs were added. If new device IDs are added, they'll be added to the next minor release, 12.2. In other words, the contents of 12.1 are generally frozen. The incremental beta builds are for finding and fixing bugs and reliability issues.

SUCCESS: My Sapphire RX 6900XT Toxic Extreme Edition (Device ID 0x73AF) now works !!!!!!

I would like to thank the CaseySJ for providing the files needed to get my video card working.
These files and explanations are located at:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-sur.306736/post-2244068
and
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-sur.306736/post-2244286
Also FakePCIID.kext is needed.

My EFI is attached.

Before EFI Changes:

View attachment 521904

View attachment 521906
My System: Using gfxutil:
03:00.0 1002:73af /PCI0@0/D0A0@1,1/D0A7@0/pci-bridge@0/GFX0@0 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

I modified \ACPI\SSDT-Change-GPU-Device-ID.dsl to match my system and compiled with MaciASL.app to create SSDT-Change-GPU-Device-ID.aml. (This was to fake out the PCI-Bridge).

I used \Kexts\FakePCIID.kext & \Kexts\FakePCIID_RX6000_Graphics.kext with no changes.

After EFI changes:

View attachment 521908

View attachment 521909
IORegistryExplorer.app

View attachment 521910

I have the same GPU and I can't make it work right now. I tried reading and probing all the advices you posted here all and I'm missing something. If someone can help I will really appreciate it.
For what I can say right now im being unable to save the compiled aml from Maciasl, it shows me that the compilation goes well without errors but don't let me save the aml.
Captura de pantalla 2021-11-30 a las 23.24.12.png
Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Hi all! I tried to enable my Asus TUF RX 6900 XT (73AF) card by method with based ssdt BRG0 and fake id in device properties, but it's not work for me. somebody can help me with this?

I have the same GPU and I can't make it work right now. I tried reading and probing all the advices you posted here all and I'm missing something. If someone can help I will really appreciate it.
For what I can say right now im being unable to save the compiled aml from Maciasl, it shows me that the compilation goes well without errors but don't let me save the aml.
View attachment 535936Thank you so much.
Are you using WhateverGreen 1.5.2 or newer? If so, try the following:
  • Uncheck both of these kexts:
    • FakePCIID.kext
    • FakePCIID_RX6000_Graphics.kext
  • Add/use the attached SSDT:
    • SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.aml
  • This SSDT will work for any system whose base PCI path of the GPU is:
    • _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
With WhateverGreen 1.5.2 and newer, it should be possible to just spoof the device-id, which the SSDT attempts to do.

Attachments

• SSDT-Z490-GPU-SPOOF.aml
    215 bytes · Views: 151
Last edited:
Back