Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Installed a W6600 card, which I believe uses the same drivers. Running 12.1 and can't get 5K resolutions out of it for an LG Ultrafine (via Thunderbolt to dual-Displayport out of mono). Specifically, 2880x1620 resolution won't show up (tried "option" click on scaled also). Works fine with a VII (which has twice the memory).
Out of curiosity are you using any boot arguments to support it? I followed @pbryanw lead and used "agdpmod=pikera" , haven't tried without it or "agdpmod=ignore" which I need for my Ryzen system/

Out of curiosity are you using any boot arguments to support it? I followed @pbryanw lead and used "agdpmod=pikera" , haven't tried without it or "agdpmod=ignore" which I need for my Ryzen system/

Yes, agdpmod=pikera is always enabled. I tried deleting that argument and the screen wouldn't turn on. Have also tried 19,1Mac SMBIOS, but it wouldn't boot. Only iMacPro1,1 has worked on my system.

@ThetaK7 - Perhaps all you need to do is add a scaled resolution for 2880x1620? I've used this in the past to add unsupported resolutions for my Intel iGPU:

For an iMac19,1 SMBIOS, I had to add "slide=0" to my boot-args, and specify my Intel UHD 630 as a headless GPU (with AAPL,ig-platform-id set to 0300913E), in order for it to work. I also now use an iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. (Edited: for corrections).

Last edited:
@ThetaK7 - Perhaps all you need to do is add a scaled resolution for 2880x1620? I've used this in the past to add unsupported resolutions for my Intel iGPU:

For an iMac19,1 SMBIOS, I had to add "slide=0" to my boot-args, and specify my Intel UHD 630 as a headless GPU (with AAPL,ig-platform-id set to 0300913E), in order for it to work. I also now use an iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. (Edited: for corrections).

Hi, I think it was an issue with the display. I unplugged power and reconnected, and the proper resolutions came back. W6600 working fine now. Incidentally I'll be sending back as it couldn't compete with my older VII. Thanks for the reply.

My Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 XT Eagle 8GB works after upgrading to 12.1 beta. Using CaseySJ's oc 0.7.5 for z490 vision G (changed for smbios iMacPro1,1), using "agdpmod=pikera" boot-arg. :thumbup:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 8.28.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 8.28.39 PM.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 134
I just want to share an observation I made with my XFX RX 6900XT. I always had random graphic freezes and shorter hangs with this card. I tested on two different Z390 boards. It got worse lately. I was running a iMacPro or macPro smbios without iGPU when these freezes happened.

I switched back to iMac19,1 with headless iGPU and all the problems were gone.

I was having freezes wth a 6900XT too, and it was worse on imac 19,1 with IGPU vs imacpro without igpu. but the diagnosis of the freezes finally actually determined that it was caused by intel power gadget's lapic interrupt hook for it's performance metrics. What this had to do with GPU, well they are all interconnected, cpu and gpu communicate directly through PCI lanes and lapic responses so these hooks can destabalize entire kernel.

I contacted author of intel power gadget through their contact email and their response was basically "uninstall it and forget it, because we're never updating it again anyways" (in more words, but basically yes kill it with fire if using it at all, it'll only get worse as macOS gets updates).

I was having freezes wth a 6900XT too, and it was worse on imac 19,1 with IGPU vs imacpro without igpu. but the diagnosis of the freezes finally actually determined that it was caused by intel power gadget's lapic interrupt hook for it's performance metrics. What this had to do with GPU, well they are all interconnected, cpu and gpu communicate directly through PCI lanes and lapic responses so these hooks can destabalize entire kernel.

I contacted author of intel power gadget through their contact email and their response was basically "uninstall it and forget it, because we're never updating it again anyways" (in more words, but basically yes kill it with fire if using it at all, it'll only get worse as macOS gets updates).

You mean this one?: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/power-gadget.html :shifty:

My Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 XT Eagle 8GB works after upgrading to 12.1 beta. Using CaseySJ's oc 0.7.5 for z490 vision G (changed for smbios iMacPro1,1), using "agdpmod=pikera" boot-arg. :thumbup:
:eek::eek: I've been waiting to get my rx 6600 xt to work with mac os for a few months now. So you are saying it has GPU accelleration under Monterey and opencore 0.7.5? (with the correct bootarg of course)

:eek::eek: I've been waiting to get my rx 6600 xt to work with mac os for a few months now. So you are saying it has GPU accelleration under Monterey and opencore 0.7.5? (with the correct bootarg of course)
Yes, 12.1 beta included drivers for 6600 xt. It will not work on 12.0.1.

It’s been running on my system for 3 days now.

Back