My system is:
GX58 UD5
I7 980, 24GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
MB, CPU and GPU are water-cooled
256GB SSD OSX
256GB SSD Windows 7
1024GB SSD Data
LG 31MU97 4096x2160@60Hz, connected with DisplayPort 2 MiniDisplayPort cable.

The LG 31MU97 is a pre calibrated Monitor from LG electronics with an IPS panel and a native resolution of 4096x2160.
Inputs: DisplayPort, MiniDisplayPort, 2xHDMI 1.4, USB3 HUB, Audio
The Displayport is default set to 1.2

I check the calibration with a photometer (Profile Pro) and had only a minimal adaption

OSX Installation is absolutely standard, I upgraded from 10.9. and 10.10.0
Boot.plist is:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>

In Multibeast, I selected a MacPro 5.1 because the newest Nvidia driver is not installing on a MacPro 6.1,
which is a good idea in Apples real world :)
In 10.10.0 this was possible.

Since 10.10.1 the OS X graphics driver has minimal functionality on a GTX970, 1280x1024 and very slow but it saved me because the NVIDIA driver was not set as default, even with settings from above. I had to change it in NVIDIAs control panel after boot.

The Monitor is not detected as a retina display from OSX, but in Scaled Resolution (select with Option Click) you can select at least 40 different resolutions.

For my Photo Work I run it with 4096x2160, but for normal desktop I use 3200x1687, which scales great.
DisplayMenu from Appstore helps to change the resolutions fast.

UPDATE:
Retina works now with:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

I am curious if you are using this monitor for color managed printing and if you have compared printing under OSX and Windows?

If so is OSX able to access the 10 bit color information supposedly built into the monitor? The Dell Ultrasharp supposedly has 14 bit color information built into the monitor and calibration is quite different in OSX and Windows. The explanation given is that OSX can only access 8 bit color information. I see consistent differences in prints made under OSX and Windows using the Dell that consistently favor Windows.

So I am curious if you have noted differences in using this monitor (apart from scaling issues) in OSX and Windows.

Sorry,
because I'm using it only under OS X for photo works, I did never compare both OS.
I have no application for Photos under Windows, Windows is only my gaming platform,
the Monitor is even not calibrated under Windows and against the wording from LG(as far as I understood it)
the Photometer software from LG is creating only local ICC profiles.

I have this same monitor on the following build and cannot get 4096x2160 to show up, only 3840x2160, 1920x1080 and a couple of other really low options. I cannot get any of the HiDPI retina options and have activated the toggle at the command line. Clicking the scaling option holding down option also only shows a bunch of other lower options. I also noticed in the system profiler that OSX thinks the monitor is a TV. Any ideas?

Build:
Asus P9X79-LE
I7 4930k, 32GB RAM
AMD R9 290X x2
540GB Samsung EVO SSD
LG 31MU97

I am running Yosemite and am using the LG supplied MiniDP to DP cable. QE seems to be working fine, and my video cards are recognized as a Radeon 8xxx series so no problems with the card as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all

My system is:
GX58 UD5
I7 980, 24GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
MB, CPU and GPU are water-cooled
256GB SSD OSX
256GB SSD Windows 7
1024GB SSD Data
LG 31MU97 4096x2160@60Hz, connected with DisplayPort 2 MiniDisplayPort cable.

The LG 31MU97 is a pre calibrated Monitor from LG electronics with an IPS panel and a native resolution of 4096x2160.
Inputs: DisplayPort, MiniDisplayPort, 2xHDMI 1.4, USB3 HUB, Audio
The Displayport is default set to 1.2

I check the calibration with a photometer (Profile Pro) and had only a minimal adaption

OSX Installation is absolutely standard, I upgraded from 10.9. and 10.10.0
Boot.plist is:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>

In Multibeast, I selected a MacPro 5.1 because the newest Nvidia driver is not installing on a MacPro 6.1,
which is a good idea in Apples real world :)
In 10.10.0 this was possible.

Since 10.10.1 the OS X graphics driver has minimal functionality on a GTX970, 1280x1024 and very slow but it saved me because the NVIDIA driver was not set as default, even with settings from above. I had to change it in NVIDIAs control panel after boot.

The Monitor is not detected as a retina display from OSX, but in Scaled Resolution (select with Option Click) you can select at least 40 different resolutions.

For my Photo Work I run it with 4096x2160, but for normal desktop I use 3200x1687, which scales great.
DisplayMenu from Appstore helps to change the resolutions fast.

UPDATE:
Retina works now with:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

Hello There.

I have the same screen running with a 950 GTX Windforce.
Resolution is running great, but i can not the the software to hardware calibrate the screen under 10.11.x?
Did someone mange to do so? This is Kex to me to use the screen professionally.
@michust, are you running 10.11 ?Does calibration work?
Thanks
Leo

Hi, which resolutions can you choose? I mean, can you scale the ui at 2550x1440 while using 4K resolution for images and videos like in iMacs 5K?

Thank you very much.

Hi mgelain

i can choose various resolutions, but i cant scale the UI differently than the images , and im not sure how this would ever work. How does that work in an iMac? Where would i find the settings?

Im sorry for the confusion i have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2047 MB GFX card i misspelled earlier

Any help appreciated.

P.s.: The service of LG send me a link to a driver:

http://e2e.ti.com/support/interface/digital_interface/f/130/t/55982
http://e2e.ti.com/support/interface/digital_interface/m/videos__files/198719

but im very confused how to install it and what it would do regarding the calibration.
The issue i see at the moment is that the USB Up connection to the screen is not working. Apparently that could maybe fix it. Did anyone try? Do you understand the procedure? Seems like i need to patch some kite and such .... :crazy:
Thanks

Could anyone tell me if they managed to run hardware calibration under El capitan somehow.
I really want my display to be calibrated for Photowork.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back