Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS 10.9.2] GIGABYTE GA-H81M-HD3 + Core i3-4330 - Cheaper CustoMac Budgetheaper CustoMac Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacBook Pro 13" late 2013
CPU
Core i5-4258U 2.4GHz
Graphics
Intel Iris 5100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
While someone else has already posted this build, I found their guide unsuccessful and needed to add some boot flags to get the installer up. I also found out VGA does not work with this build, which took be 4 hours of troubleshooting. Even after post installation, I still need to use DVI to get past the Apple logo.

Here's the parts I ordered and how much I paid for them:

GIGABYTE GA-H81M-HD3 - $47
Core i3-4330 3.5GHz - $125
8GB 1600Mhz GeIL EVO RAM - $66
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - $58
mATX Case - $30
CX-430 PSU - $20
TP-LINK TL-WN881ND N300 PCIe WiFi - $18
Total: $364 (note, a bunch of these were on sale when I bought them about a week ago, might be more expensive now)

For installation, follow the guide for the most part.

In the BIOS (I used the Intel one):
- Load Optimized Defaults
- Make Graphics Adapter IGFX first
- Change XHCI mode from Smart Auto to enabled
- The hard drive should already be in AHCI mode. If not, switch it to AHCI.

I took out one of my two 4GB RAM chips as advised until after using multibeast. For the longest time I couldn't get to the Installer, and would have various errors from cpu power management to 0xdeadbeefdeadbeef. Even after swapping the VGA cable for a DVI, I still had problems. I tried basically every combination of boot flags, until I came upon this, which worked.

-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1

It hangs on the command line for about 30 seconds after it finishes before loading the installer. I also used them to boot for the first time before doing post installation. Be sure you are not using a VGA monitor or cable, it won't work. Before installing kexts with Multibeast it puts it 3MB of vRAM, only resolution of 1024x748, and you need the boot flags.

For post installation, I used the previous successful posters multibeast configuration, which you can download here H81M-HD3.mb. It now it boots up perfectly with no need for boot flags, with full graphics acceleration (OS X gives the Intel HD 4600 1024MB of vRAM after post install), the right resolution, audio, sleep, ethernet, and overall a stable system. I had one freeze the first reboot after I put the other RAM chip back in, but after that I haven't had any issues. My Wi-Fi card isn't delivered yet, but it's said to work out of the box. Right now I'm internet sharing from my old iMac G5 to my Hackintosh from Wi-Fi to ethernet. Scores about the same on Geekbench as my Retina Pro 13" 2.4GHz i5 with Iris 5100, which is great. Had no trouble installing iWork through the Mac App Store, Photoshop CC, Xcode, etc.

This is my first Hackintosh desktop, and I am very pleased. Once I figured out the boot flags, it was much easier than the 3 laptops (Acer Aspire One AOA105, Google CR-48, Dell Inspiron 1525 with C2D) I've done.

Apple has not natively supported VGA in OS X for years, especally when using Intel Integrated Graphics. This has been discussed on the forum for some time. However, VGA works on some graphics cards, but it's a "hit or miss" occurrence.

HI Orbitly
I've used your H81M-HD3.mb share. But I couldn't login, it freeze at the white screen apple. My main board is same with you, but cpu is core i7. Ram 4G (one stick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back