Contribute
Register

Succes Gigabyte H61M-D2P-B3 10.6.7 - vanilla kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
dooododoo said:
moniteur said:
XLR said:
Upgraded to Lion. Now when i put it to sleep (via apple menu or power button) it doesn't wakes up, and after cold boot it gets CMOS reset.

Do you have quickboot = enabled in BIOS? Setting it to that fixed my refusal to wake in 10.6.8.

That still caused a CMOS reset in Lion for me.
Same here.

If anyone finds another solution - please let us know.

XLR said:
If anyone finds another solution - please let us know.

I'm probably going to hold off on Lion for the time being. I haven't even upgraded my MacBook Pro to it yet.

Tomorrow I'm going to convert a macbook pro IR receiver from laptop sized usb to a regular usb header for my apple remote, and also install another 1.5tb hard drive and Windows 7, so I can do some additional gaming. I'm also curious to compare benchmarks between the two systems.

Anyone successfully have this board working in Lion yet?

I wonder if there is any chance that it is somehow graphics card related (as many things seem to be with hackintosh)?

Maybe it's because i upgraded from 10.6.8 instead of doing a clean install?

I'll try to reformat the whole thing and perform a clean installation, and let you know how it goes.

XLR said:
Maybe it's because i upgraded from 10.6.8 instead of doing a clean install?

I'll try to reformat the whole thing and perform a clean installation, and let you know how it goes.

I installed Lion on a clean hard drive and I had the same (bad) results.

So i will not waste my time then... Looks like with Sandy Bridge it needs some sort of dynamic SSDT tables, hopefully one of the next Chameleon updates should fix it.

ingalz said:
Gigabyte H61M-D2P-B3
Bios F5

Video Cards Tested:
GeFore 8600 GTS
Radeon HD 5870

Resources used

Boot CD/DVD
Iboot Legacy iBoot works now
Retail 10.6.0 Snow Leopard

Resources put onto a USB disk

DSDT Patcher from http://www.kexts.com/view/904-dsdt_auto ... -2011.html (or use attached DSDT) Use DSDT from database
Bridge Helper 2.1.0
Multibeast 3.5.2
10.6.7 Combo update

Steps:

Update bios to newest version (in my case it was F5)
I had 2GB memory installed (others report the initial install won't work with memory > 4GB)
Set AHCI mode
Set HPET to 64 bit
Set cpu ratio to one unit lower than default (in my i3 2100, I had to go from 31x to 30x) No longer needed with new iboot and Chimera
Boot from iBoot Legacy
Insert SL retail install disk hit F5
Install OSX onto target disk

At reboot check cpu ratio in BIOS is still 1x below default setting for CPU

Reboot with iBoot Legacy select boot up into newly installed target volume

Run DSDT Patcher (alternately use attached DSDT that was auto-patched as shown)
Use option from auto-patcher for GA PH67A-UD3-B3
Extract patched DSDT (defaults to desktop where MB will use it below)

From the USB disk:

Run Combo Update, do not reboot
Run Bridge Helper, do not reboot
Run MB

Select options shown:

H61M-D2P-B3-1ST.gif

Restart -check cpu ratio in BIOS is still 1x below default setting for CPU

Run MB again with options shown:

H61M-D2P-B3-2ND.gif

Restart

The system booted up in 64 bit mode with vanilla kernel.
ok - I need some help please!

I have the H61M-D2P-B3 motherboard, F5 bios. I followed the above, using the 10.6.7 combined update. I used the DSDT from the database here for the F5 bios.

When I restart using iBoot after install I can boot to desktop pre-10.6.7 update.
After 10.67 and running MB, I get a kernel panic. I have 4gb of RAM (single stick) and an I5-2400. I've tried every permutation of OSX Retail disks (10.6.0 and 10.6.2), and have tried using bridge helper for 10.6.7, or using the other helper and trying to go to 10.6.8.

Bios was set to defaults before I started and I changed the sata mode to AHCI and the HPET table to 64-bit and set the boot order to CDROM first.

Without copying the kernel panic messages, I think they are the CPUPlatform but not sure.

Why is the simple procedure quoted above ^^ not working for me? Should I disable 3 of the 4 cores on the i5-2400 to install?

The only think I can think of is that I have the system (temporarily) running on a GForce 7100. But that shouldn't cause that kernel panic.

I'm also using latest versions (from here) of IBoot and MultiBeast.

Thanks!

Try using a single 2GB stick. Maybe the single 4GB stick is too big? I personally use 2x2GB sticks and it works.

Posting to say that the instructions in the original post in this thread worked for me, with the exception that, prior to installing the 10.6.8 combo update, I had to install the UpdateHelper patch, and reboot.

Having followed all the instructions, I now have an (apparently) fully functional Mac Pro, with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I was going to go ahead and move to Lion, but based on what I see in thread, maybe I'd better not.

Edit: This is with a Sandy Bridge i5 2500K and the Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2P-B3, not the ECS motherboard and C2D in my profile.

Update: I went ahead and installed Lion. It goes more or less like the instructions say. Checking System Utilities box in Multibeast caused a kernel panic after it rebooted, and I had to reinstall Lion. Everything but the NIC and sound card seemed to be working, so the second time around, I had it install only the NIC and sound options, and then it worked perfectly.

The update to Lion 10.7.1 went similarly smoothly. I had to reinstall the kext for the sound hardware, but after that, everything appears to work properly. I haven't tried sleep yet, but that's not really a deal breaker for me, even if it doesn't work, as I'll probably turn this machine off every night anyway.

Edit: Another update:

The install worked except for the same problems with sleep that the others reported. The problem with sleep should probably not be understated. It refuses to wake up again, and subsequently resets the CMOS settings, but the real nightmare for me was that after I got the BIOS configured again, not only did the lion install refuse to boot, but I couldn't even boot from the installer partition. It didn't seem to matter if I used iBoot or not, it just outright refused to boot. I had to reinstall Snow Leopard and upgrade again. Huge pain in the neck.

Obviously, I set it to never enter sleep mode after that. If I didn't need Lion for compatibility with XCode, I'd be staying with Snow Leopard.

Installed Lion by putting my HDD ( a old laptop HDD) into an external case and using my macbook. After install, put the HDD back into my desktop and its running smooth.

Sleep i have disabled, cos I never leave the machine running when Im out and bout. Sorry guys

G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back