i5-4670K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, It's been almost 7 years since my last hackintosh build and now I'm about to repurpose my gaming-PC, any comments are welcome.

UPDATE 18-12-2016 - WORKING SYSTEM:
The BT/WiFi adapter hasn't arrived yet, and Windows is still work-in-progress, but I have Sierra running and network, audio, graphics - all working.
hackintosh_working.png

UPDATE 12-12-2016 - PARTS ORDERED:
After thoroughly studying about compatibility I sourced parts for my CustoMac:
  • Case: NZXT Hush
  • Power: Seasonic Platinum 660XP^2
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
  • CPU: Intel i5-4670K
  • CPU-cooler: Noctua NH-U9B
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1600MHz CL10
  • Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3X OC
  • SSD (Mac): Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SATA III
  • SSD (Win): Kingston V300 120GB SATA III
  • Wifi/BT: Broadcom BCM94369CD + PCIe adapter
Backround:
I currently use my 2012 MBP as my studio laptop. I record and make music using Logic Pro X, but the setup is a real hassle - I need to use a Hengedocks vertical docking station for my MBP and also a vidoe/sound/peripherals-switch to switch between the MBP and my gaming-PC. I play games VERY seldom, but the upcoming Mass Effect Andromeda is a must-experience for me.
So, I'd like to update my gaming-PC to build a dual-boot hackintosh, where the PC would suffice to moderate gaming and hackintosh would give me similar or preferably better performance than my current 2012 MBP. The PC currently consists of:
motherboard: Asus Z87-A
processor: Intel i5-4670K 3,4GHz
RAM: 8Gb (2x4Gb) DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Asus ROG Matrix R9 280X
storage: 120GB SSD

Planned upgrade:
I'm thinking about building the hackintosh around the existing CPU, since I really don't need the latest hardware and I'm trying to keep the costs down. I read through the https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/building-a-customac-buyers-guide-october-2014.152135/ Buyers guide for Hashwell 8-series CPU's and started to look for components. My initial build would consist of:
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
processor: Intel i5-4670K 3,4GHz
RAM: 16Gb (4x4Gb) DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3X OC
storage: 240GB SSD (mac) + 120GB SSD (win)

All of the above components seem to be on the recommended lists. The estimated update budget (not including selling the old parts) is around 420€.

Do you think I could build a solid hackintosh using those components? What kind of performance could I expect? Do you know if the older hardware can run newer OsX?

Last edited:
I also run my studio from my current MacBook Pro and I had a recording session three hours in worth of mixing with a client vanish before my eyes. Despite saving the session three times during the span of the mix process, my MBP crashed and my external HD showed no traced of Pro Tools file. My client was heated to say the least.

I'm currently shopping for a CustoMac set up as well. Make sure that the Mobo you want supports your I.O connectivity as newer boards support connectivity for USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 so older ports like FireWire and Thunderbolt 2 may not work without an adapter. The 970 should do fine for gaming unless you plan to create a multi display or VR setup with new titles running on ultra, etc, etc. Check the I.O ports on the 970 card as well. I understand that some cards have more display ports than others if you are considering a multi screen set up in the future for mix and edit windows or even immersive gaming.

Hope this helped a wee bit.

Parts ordered, I listed them on the opening post!

I tried to find tried-and-true parts from past and current Buyer's Guides and after selling the components of my old PC I managed to get pretty close to my 420€ budget (431,90€ to be exact), with some higher than specified components like the PSU and SSD. I thought about going with a faster M.2 SSD, but after reading about boot and sleep issues I decided to settle for a traditional SATA III SSD.

Next step is to wait for the parts to arrive and start downloading and making boot-USB's and whatnot. The plan is to run MacOS Sierra with dual boot to either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back