Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Stuck on "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase" error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @guindillas, I just did that. I was able to use Rufus to make an NTFS install media using VirtualBox.

Turns out there are a few tricks to that, including don’t use VB 7, stick with VB 6.1.40, Also I needed to use a non-standard 8k NTFS block size in order to get Rufus to finish. Those are all VB quirks I think, but in the end I was able to get Rufus to complete successfully, and the USB stick it made boots!

Now here’s the really weird part. I get stuck in exactly the same place. Same error as before.

I’m beginning to think this may be some odd issue with the SSD itself. It’s a little bit older. I think I used it in my first hack back around 2013, or in a rebuild of that at some point, but it definitely predates my current build.

Is there something I can do to that drive to make sure it’s really OK? I’m going to go look into that…

OK, tried again using BIOS defaults this time. Same results.

Tried running Disk Utility First Aid on SSD. Nothing bad turned up, but I was unable to run it on the NTFS partition, so I erased it to a GUID / MacOS Journaled partition and reran Disk Utility First aid on the newly made disk0s2. It did report trimming unused blocks, but also said the volume appears to be OK, File System Check exit code 0. Ran it again on the whole disk, too. Again seems OK.

I'm back in Rufus trying a slightly different approach with a different USB. This time I'm going for MBR scheme with target system BIOS (or UEFI-CSM). I can switch CSM on in my BIOS, but if I do I don't think I can boot Monterey, so I assume I'll have to switch that back when I'm done.

Ok, that didn't work either... I was able to successfully make a bootable MBR USB with Rufus, but I get stuck yet again at the same point regardless if I leave my BIOS set as I have it for OC/Monterey, or set it to the optimized defaults (which include CSM enabled). Interestingly, the Rufus MBR install USB boots either way and the failure appears to be identical.

I've gone ahead and ordered a new 2TB WD Black SN750 NVMe and a PCI card for mounting an NVMe. My plan now is to clone my 500GB NVMe to the new 2TB NVMe, make sure the 2TB NVMe will boot to Monterey, pull it and the SSD out, and attempt installing Windows on the 500GB NVMe.

I'm also going to google this particular Windows install failure outside of the Hackintosh world to see if maybe it's known to be associated with something else.

Found something on another site that talked about using diskpart clean and diskpart offline relating to this issue.

I tried using diskpart clean on the SSD, and diskpart offline for the NVMe four different ways. With and without BIOS defaults and with the Rufus MBR installer and the Rufus UEFI installer. All paths got me to the same error.

I suppose that makes sense since I've also tried previously with the NVMe physically removed - which would be even better than marking it offline and leaving it in the system as far as making sure the Windows installer doesn't get confused.

1. Erase the 240GB SSD using Disk Utility to make it a GUID partition mapped Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive. This is giving me a 200MB EFI partition on disk0s1, and the rest as a Data partition on disk0s2

(Buzzz!)

Don't use Apple Disk Utility to prep a drive for a windows install. Apple has no track record of playing well with others re drive layouts, and there are many arcane aspects of drive format.

Wipe the Windows target drive by copying zeros over the first few megabytes, (cat or dd /dev/zero to target) so the partition table is zapped. You want to see "This drive cannot be recognized do you want to initialize it?"

Use the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool to build your installer drive.

Disconnecting other drives is safe thing to do but Windows doesn't usually screw up.

The Windows installer should offer a default install on the blank (effectively) target drive. Unless you have a specific need, say making room for a Linux install, don't fiddle with the layout.

The rest of the story is appropriate BIOS settings, covered elsewhere.

If that doesn't work, likely a HW issue.

OTHER NOTES

Linux installer has learned to play nice with Windows.

Windows installer at least doesn't usually wreck Linux installs any more. Windows diskpart sees the world as purely Windows — its pure lore.

Install Windows then Linux.

Mac doesn't deal with either, and they don't grok Mac. Don't mix and match. It can be made to work at a deep tech level but too much nerding out. Mac Disk Utility is more open minded re layout standards but there are edge cases and no one works hard to perfect a Mac-controlled Windows drive. At same time cross platform file system support for Apple, esp APFS is very tricky and lacking.

OpenCore is one more variable, where Ubuntu Linux installer (Unity) may step on EFI/Bootx64.efi, especially on an NVMe unrelated to Linux install.

Down the road if you want to mess around with a Windows layout, for example to multiboot Linux, use Linux GParted as drive tool. It has good awareness of layout edge cases, and can set Windows part types,
resize and move partitions reliably (but not Mac volumes tho) Windows uses several different partitions at least one of which doesn't tolerate being moved without having to repair a connection to it: the Windows Recovery Partition. This can be fixed using Windows tools but is a PITA.

Last edited:
(Buzzz!)

Don't use Apple Disk Utility to prep a drive for a windows install. Apple has no track record of playing well with others re drive layouts, and there are many arcane aspects of drive format.

Wipe the Windows target drive by copying zeros over the first few megabytes, (cat or dd /dev/zero to target) so the partition table is zapped. You want to see "This drive cannot be recognized do you want to initialize it?"

Use the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool to build your installer drive.

Disconnecting other drives is safe thing to do but Windows doesn't usually screw up.

The Windows installer should offer a default install on the blank (effectively) target drive. Unless you have a specific need, say making room for a Linux install, don't fiddle with the layout.

The rest of the story is appropriate BIOS settings, covered elsewhere.

If that doesn't work, likely a HW issue.

OTHER NOTES

Linux installer has learned to play nice with Windows.

Windows installer at least doesn't usually wreck Linux installs any more. Windows diskpart sees the world as purely Windows — its pure lore.

Install Windows then Linux.

Mac doesn't deal with either, and they don't grok Mac. Don't mix and match. It can be made to work at a deep tech level but too much nerding out. Mac Disk Utility is more open minded re layout standards but there are edge cases and no one works hard to perfect a Mac-controlled Windows drive. At same time cross platform file system support for Apple, esp APFS is very tricky and lacking.

OpenCore is one more variable, where Ubuntu Linux installer (Unity) may step on EFI/Bootx64.efi, especially on an NVMe unrelated to Linux install.

Down the road if you want to mess around with a Windows layout, for example to multiboot Linux, use Linux GParted as drive tool. It has good awareness of layout edge cases, and can set Windows part types,
resize and move partitions reliably (but not Mac volumes tho) Windows uses several different partitions at least one of which doesn't tolerate being moved without having to repair a connection to it: the Windows Recovery Partition. This can be fixed using Windows tools but is a PITA.
Thanks @c-o-pr,

I believe it turned out to be a combination of the NVMe being present and needing to use one of the Rufus install USBs. I'm booted up into Windows 11 Pro as I write this, so all is good now - but I'd like to leave some breadcrumbs for any others that hit this snag.

I tried using the Windows Media Creation Tool, but that didn't result in sucess any more than any of my other attempts had. It might well have met with success, though, had I pulled the NVMe out prior to using it. The weird thing was that I've pulled the NVMe out before without success, so there must be one or more other variables at play.

I wasn't actually relying on the Apple Disk Utility to prep the drive in the end. Instead, I'd just use diskpart to do that while booted off of a Windows USB. Generally, my process there was to delete any extra partitions (other than the 300MB EFI partition that I had), then reformat the EFI as FAT32 and use Custom Install in the Windows installer to pick the unallocated space. I was doing a lot of deleting partitions 2, 3, & 4 on that disk since each failed attempt would leave those behind.

Another thing I did, and I'm not really sure if this made any difference or not, but maybe it did - I disabled just about everything I could in BIOS (had to keep the USB driver, of course), plus disconnected absolutely everything other than the keyboard, mouse, and USB stick.

Bottom line - for me, success looked like this:
1. Make Rufas UEFI install stick in VirtualBox 6.1.40 (needed at least an 8K NTFS block size) using a genuine Microsoft Win11 ISO
2. Disable as much stuff as possible in the BIOS - even audio and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, no need to take any chances. I did leave the on-board Ethernet though, which helped during the install.
3. Disconnect absolutely all drives other than the target - which for me meant unhooking to SATA HDDs and pulling an NVMe drive out.
4. Boot to the Rufas Install Media and use Shift+F10 to get to a command window and run diskpart
5. Confirm the only disks present were Disk 0 (the target disk) and Disk 1 (the USB)
6. Use diskpart to delete all partitions on Disk 0 except for the 1st one, which is a 300MB FAT32 EFI partition. Reformat that one to make sure there aren't any stray files left over from the previous attempt.
7. Use Windows Installer to do a custom install on the unallocated space on the target drive.
8. Sit back and watch the mayhem, cheering madly when it passed the point I always got stuck on.
9. Give the system an appropriate name (Mine begins with S and ends in atan)
10. Come here and post.

Thanks to all the generous folks who helped me out with this! You guys are amazing!

Now to see if plugging the NVMe back in gets me to OC and the ability to boot into either Monterey or Windows 11!

And I'm back in Windows! Yay!

Confirmed: I was able to boot to OC on my NVMe and from there pick my Windows HD, and now here I am, posting from Windows!

Of course, I can't see any of my macOS-formatted drives, but I've got a nice little playground on the SSD to work with! When the new 2TB NVMe comes in I'll see if I can't clone my Monterey install from the 500GB NVMe, and then put Windows on the old 500GB stick with Monterey on the new 2TB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back