Graphics
EVGA GTX580
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I decided to install OSX Mountain Lion on a whim today. I created the USB exactly as described. However, when I boot it from USB and select my usb in Chimera, it just hangs on the apple boot screen indefinitely. Any ideas on what arguments I should be using to get to the installation screen?

Laptop model is mentioned in the title. However, it is worth noting I have the version with the i5-2450m.

Upon booting into verbose mode, it seems that the last line it completes is:
com_lnx2mac_RealtekRTL81xx: Ethernet address [mac address here]

Booting into safe mode it reaches the installation screen. I can proceed as far as the "Select the disk you where you want to install OSX" bit but that's as far as it goes. It doesn't show any disks in the box.

Previously before I reached this particular screen, it was extremely slow, taking minutes to respond to me clicking buttons so hopefully that is the case here. However, it hasn't responded for a good 5 minutes or so.

Booting into safe mode it reaches the installation screen. I can proceed as far as the "Select the disk you where you want to install OSX" bit but that's as far as it goes. It doesn't show any disks in the box.

Did you format the hard drive? You have to go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. Click on the drive or partition on the left side. Click on the Erase tab on the right side. Erase the disk/partition as Mac OS X (Journaled). Then Quit from Disk Utility and the formatted disk should show up. (Step 3.6)

I'm trying to complete that step, but my touchpad is working intermittently throughout the entire installation (both this time and the last). I'm trying to click "erase" but it is unresponsive. I've been using tab and enter to input things as well but this time it isn't working either (that is, highlighting [Erase...] and clicking enter.

Many laptop users have to connect a USB mouse, at least temporarily.

Thanks, I did that and it worked.

I was considering doing that but I didn't think it would work (one more driver, etc. etc.) but I guess I was proven wrong.

Okay, so I"m at the bit where I'm using Multibeast. I'm confused as to what I should be doing.

I'm thinking I should use the HP .aml file or something, the specs look awfully similar except the CPU is an i5 instead of an i3.

Here's a status report:
It only boots up in safe mode (-x)
The mouse button doesn't work (trackpad)
The mouse wheel is inverted (that is, scrolling down is up. Sort of like flight simulator controls)
Only displays in 1024*800 (I think. I expect this will be resolved with proper drivers)
The trackpoint doesn't work at all (Maybe it's also a driver issue?)

Hey any updates on this? I got everything working except for audio/video/wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back