Intel HD
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Let me start by letting out some steam... I am extremely frustrated about this build. I've done as much research as I can do in a day before posting to no avail.

The Build [TonyMacx86 November 2013 recommended build]:
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H Intel® Z87 Chipset Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 CPU
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB RAM
Corsair 650 Watt Modular
Intel HD Graphics
Corsair Carbide 500R

The Problem:

Restarting after a successful installation via USB causes Mountain Lion to hang on launch (Apple logo, grey loading circle spins forever). I can get to the next step (Multibeast installation) via -x flag. After MultiBeast installation I can no longer launch into Safe Mode. Verbose shows a pause on:
Code:
[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

What I've done:
- Reformatted SSD and tried again (4 times now).
- Modified BIOS settings.
- Followed basic guide for GIGABYTE setup, disabled Intel virtualization option
- Tried different MultiBeast settings.
- Created a custom DSDT with MaciACL using the GA-Z87X-UD3H DSDT profile (UD5H isnt out yet).
- Installed latest version of Chimera via MultiBeast & via regular download on two different installs.
- Installed older version of Chimera.
- Used all the recommended troubleshooting flags.
- Unplugged the install USB.
-Chimera does NOT load without the USB (I see no Chimera logo on power-on, just goes straight to Apple logo and hangs).

Progress:
- At one point I was able to boot into Mountain Lion without safe mode but had some intense graphical errors (sort of like when a video card gets fried and the entire image is scrambled). I couldn't do anything so I just ended up re-installing.

Any ideas? I convinced my boss to make the switch to Hackintosh (I work at a music studio) and now I look like an idiot. This is my first Hackintosh build; but not my first PC build.

-Raul

Let me start by letting out some steam... I am extremely frustrated about this build. I've done as much research as I can do in a day before posting to no avail.

I am using the Intel processor's onboard graphics FYI. No video card planned on being used.

The Problem:
Restarting after a successful installation via USB causes Mountain Lion to hang on launch (Apple logo, grey loading circle spins forever). I can get to the next step (Multibeast installation) via -x flag. After MultiBeast installation I can no longer launch into Safe Mode. Verbose shows a pause on:
Code:
[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

What I've done:
- Reformatted SSD and tried again (4 times now).
- Modified BIOS settings.
- Followed basic guide for GIGABYTE setup, disabled Intel virtualization option
- Tried different MultiBeast settings.
- Created a custom DSDT with MaciACL using the GA-Z87X-UD3H DSDT profile (UD5H isnt out yet).
- Installed latest version of Chimera via MultiBeast & via regular download on two different installs.
- Installed older version of Chimera.
- Used all the recommended troubleshooting flags.
- Unplugged the install USB.
-Chimera does NOT load without the USB (I see no Chimera logo on power-on, just goes straight to Apple logo and hangs).

Progress:
- At one point I was able to boot into Mountain Lion without safe mode but had some intense graphical errors (sort of like when a video card gets fried and the entire image is scrambled). I couldn't do anything so I just ended up re-installing.

Any ideas? I convinced my boss to make the switch to Hackintosh (I work at a music studio) and now I look like an idiot. This is my first Hackintosh build; but not my first PC build.

-Raul

You should post some hardware details, otherwise no one can help.

My bad! Updated the main post. Hope that helps a bit...

It is a graphics problem. Check BIOS settings for integrated graphics (64MB?). Also make sure you're using IGPEnabler=Y or GraphicsEnabler=Y (both will do the same thing for your config). Finally, make sure you're using a digital connection to your monitor (not VGA).

Also check: VT-d disabled, or use dart=0

It is a graphics problem. Check BIOS settings for integrated graphics (64MB?). Also make sure you're using IGPEnabler=Y or GraphicsEnabler=Y (both will do the same thing for your config). Finally, make sure you're using a digital connection to your monitor (not VGA).

Also check: VT-d disabled, or use dart=0

Checked the BIOS settings one more time and had everything set properly. I;m using a DVi connection for my monitor. VT-d cannot be disabled (its says enabled and is greyed out), however, I have been reading that K processors automatically have these disabled so it is irrelevant.

dart=0 yielded nothing.

Currently still stuck at the Apple boot screen with a spinning wheel BUT I have made progress in the sense that this last installation of ML does let me get back in when using -x (previously the spinning wheel would just freeze after initial install of MultiBeast).

I'm a bit confused about one minor (potentially major?) detail. I've never had a Hackintosh. Is Chimera absolutely required? It seems as though my machine skips Chimera on launch. From what I can tell there should be a boot screen (similar to the one I'm seeing when I launch to USB). Currently, when I power on it goes straight to the Apple logo.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help RehabMan. I appreciate the efforts.

Checked the BIOS settings one more time and had everything set properly. I;m using a DVi connection for my monitor. VT-d cannot be disabled (its says enabled and is greyed out), however, I have been reading that K processors automatically have these disabled so it is irrelevant.

dart=0 yielded nothing.

Currently still stuck at the Apple boot screen with a spinning wheel BUT I have made progress in the sense that this last installation of ML does let me get back in when using -x (previously the spinning wheel would just freeze after initial install of MultiBeast).

You may need to try different values for ig-platform-id. For Chimera, that means using IGPlatformID bootflag.

I'm a bit confused about one minor (potentially major?) detail. I've never had a Hackintosh. Is Chimera absolutely required? It seems as though my machine skips Chimera on launch. From what I can tell there should be a boot screen (similar to the one I'm seeing when I launch to USB). Currently, when I power on it goes straight to the Apple logo.

It could be your configuration of the bootloader ("Quiet Boot" set?).

And yes, you need a bootloader. Because your computer is not a Mac.

FIXED -- Stuck on post-installation startup [Mountain Lion] [Z87X-UD5H] [Intel i7 4770k]

You may need to try different values for ig-platform-id. For Chimera, that means using IGPlatformID bootflag.

It could be your configuration of the bootloader ("Quiet Boot" set?).

And yes, you need a bootloader. Because your computer is not a Mac.

Problem has been fixed! It ended up being a faulty DVI cable?? I switched to a fairly new HDMI cable and everything just... worked! Sometimes the most obvious solution is the right one...

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back