Motherboard
GA-EP43-UD3P
CPU
Xeon E5472
Graphics
8800 GT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I can't boot my Lion or Snow Leopard installation at all when using tonymacs86 database DSDT or auto-patched DSDT. Always stuck on [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ] when using Nvidia video card. I tried npci=0x2000 and npci=3000 kernel parameters, makes no difference. I Googled extensively and tried the following:
pci=off
busratio=20
darkwake=0
removed PlatformSupport.plist

Video cards tried:
GTX285 -> hangs on [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ]
8800GT -> hangs on [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ]
6600 -> hangs on [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ]

I am able to boot into single user console mode with ATI X1600 XT removed from Mac Pro 3,1 however I get corrupt image on Lion once GUI starts.

Weird, but when I added the EFI string for the Nvidia video cards to bootloader config, I was able to successfully boot into Lion once. It never worked again. Hangs on [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ].

Build specs:
OS X 10.7.3
GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.6 FI BIOS
Core i7 940
4GB DDR3 1066MHz installed while testing
tonymacs86 database DSDT
SATA 1TB WD Caviar Black
SATA Samsung DVD-RW
(video cards above)

Please help, I'm not making any progress with this machine. Thanks in advance.

Have you try'd PCIRoot = 1 or PCIRootUID = 1 ? Its mostly for Gygabyte.

encobalt said:
Have you try'd PCIRoot = 1 or PCIRootUID = 1 ? Its mostly for Gygabyte.
Thanks. Tried it, made no difference. Still had the same problem.
cyberdog said:
Hello.

For me, with GA-H55M-S2
this problem was resolved with this :

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=152174#p152174

second part :
2) In the DSDT

On the section Device (PCI0):

remove line "Name (_ADR, Zero)"
correct the _UID line to "Name (_UID, Zero)"
Thanks. Made these changes to the DSDT from tonymacx86 database and it got me past [ PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN ] but then it just hangs right after [ PCI CONFIGURATION END, ....].
I tried busratio=22 (for my CPU) and pci=acpi, I got a list of resolved PCI IRQ, and then hangs.
What could be causing this?

Allright, made progress. Something got my attention during boot, before the system hangs on [ PCI CONFIGURATION END, ...] I noticed that it prints out 16 ACPI threads numbered 0-15, 0-7 are enabled and 8-15 are disabled. Now obviously my i7 should have only 8 threads (quad core, 2 threads per core). So I'm guessing OS X somehow found a second imaginary CPU in my machine. I tried booting with cpus=1 kernel parameters, and sure enough, it boots all the way. Sleep still does not work but that I will investigate a little bit later.

One odd thing I noticed though, under system information it shows that my CPU has 4 cores, 128KB L2 cache and 1MB L3 cache. The actual per core L2 cache in this CPU is 256KB and total L3 cache is 8MB. Now since it shows only 4 cores, and the cache information and nothing else, the math works out to be 512KB L2 cache total and 4MB L3. So where's the other half of the cache? It seems awful lot like they show me the per thread cache, however they made no such indication. This would also be easily disputed by the fact that when I view system info on my real Mac Pro 3,1 I see all 8MB of cache on the Xeon, and on my other hack build I see all 8MB cache shown for the C2Q Q6600.
Does the system really see/use 1/8 of the cache my i7 has or is it just some oddity with the system info application? Is there any way to test whether all threads and all cache is available to applications?

I had this problem and i could solve this by the following command.

-v PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x1000

If that doesn't work try the following

-v PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000

or

-v PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x3000

Ok, I am going nuts! I have x58a-ud3r FB. I have tried every imaginable boot flag combo

npci=0x1000, 0x2000, 0x3000
PCIRootUID=0, 1
-x, -F

I cannot get past the PCI Configuration Begin screen in verbose mode. I had the tower up and running. My friend (who it is for) is running audio software that is outdated and he noticed a big performance dip when we went to 10.7.4 from 10.6.8. I figured it would work better if all of the plug-ins and his software (as well as the system itself) were in 32-bit. I opened Chimera and set it to 32-bit boot screen. This is when the whole mess started. I have tried booting into 64-bit (arch=x86_64) but I am still stuck at the same screen.

Any ideas at all? All I want to do at this point is boot into the OS and reload the DSDT. I don't want to do a complete reinstall because I have already installed a bunch of software that took a lot of time.

I am desperate.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back