i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Upgrading to High Sierra with Tony's guide and I keep getting stuck during the install at the following line:

"Tue Oct 3 05:06:16 2017 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.WindowServer) <Notice>: Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing red-wan out by 10 seconds."

It continues to show this line over and over refreshing the time stamp every 10 seconds.

I do not have Windows installed on any of my drives but I do have VMWare Fusion installed with an instance of Windows 10.

My video card is a GTX 960.

I've tried:

- Disabling (deleting) the nvda_drv=1 boot flag and replacing it with nv_disable=1
- Using both of the above nvidia flags
- Using neither of the above nvidia flags
- Booting in verbose
- cpus=1
- Just about every combination of the above

I followed the guide exactly and put the FakeSMC kext in the other folder and apfs file in the drivers64UEFI folder.

Any help/suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Made some progress...

I downloaded the config-sample.plist from the High Sierra Beta thread and modified the name of the boot drive to match mine and dropped it in my Clover folder on my EFI partition.

I then added 'cpus=1' bootflag and managed to get to the High Sierra installation screen. It says "Installing on Macintosh SSD, About 40 minutes remaining" however it restarts after only about 1 minute and obviously does not install High Sierra.

I'll keep trying things, please chime in with any suggestions.

I'm getting the same thing, after booting from USB using UniBeast...

I then added 'cpus=1' bootflag and managed to get to the High Sierra installation screen. It says "Installing on Macintosh SSD, About 40 minutes remaining" however it restarts after only about 1 minute and obviously does not install High Sierra.
FWIW this is expected behavior with High Sierra if you do not take steps to disable converting your boot drive to apfs.

Without adding the 'do not convert to apfs' flag to your install, which you would know if you did, the install will reboot your machine up to three times I believe. Each time, you need to make sure you boot from the right clover (possibly the USB stick) using F12, and each time you need to make sure in clover to select "boot from install macOS" (or whatever the name of the disk is, it'll have install macOS in it) option.

You may be experiencing another problem, but it is expected to reboot a couple times.

Unibeast with High Sierra support has been released. If you are continuing to experience install issues you might check it out.

How do I do this?
The short answer is, manually initiate the install using Terminal.app with the command
/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

The --converttoapfs NO is the part that tells the installation not to convert to apfs.

but I want to convert my system to apfs?
Are you supposed to do it after install?
There are tradeoffs with apfs. It doesn't hurt to NOT convert to apfs. Folks in the Hackintosh community have expressed valid arguments that apfs is immature (although it is in use on millions of iOS devices) and that the mechanics of Hackintoshes make it unsuitable (although eventually we'll have no choice, I can't imagine Apple will support HFS+ for too many more releases). Also apfs formatted disks, today, are only visible by High Sierra (and Sierra I think in read-only mode?), and not Windows, Linux etc. That will eventually change.

You can convert later, although it may require a "backup, convert, recover" process, it may be a "in place" migration or it may be a single-user/recovery partition operation, not sure.

FWIW I converted my High Sierra SSD to apfs and really haven't experienced any issues. I haven't benchmarked. I have Sierra still as my every day driver on an NVME and I need to decide what I'm going to do when I convert that drive to High Sierra.

I have a GTX 960 too. I was able to install High Sierra, but first I had to set BIOS to use the motherboard graphics card, remove the GTX 960 and then install. There are a few guides out there on how Nvidia and mobo GTX cards are not playing well together on high Sierra. I’m still working through some issues, but at least I got High Sierra to install...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back