Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Plus
  3. Power Mac
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I'm building my 2nd hack. This one follows the Deluxe Mini model from the buyers guide. I bought everything EXACTLY as listed in that article. The RAM was the last piece of the puzzle, and that arrived today. I assembled it, turned it on and... nothing.

The CPU and system fans spin up for about 8 seconds, then stop. 5 seconds later, they spin up again.

Nothing shows through my monitor, and there are no diagnostic LEDs on this motherboard

(Z87N-WIFI).

I checked all connections, they seem okay. Cleared the CMOS too. Still nothing.

Any suggestions?

ADDED: I bought a new power supply. Still doesn't work, so I'm guessing I've got a bad MB :(

Thanks

What CPU are you using?

I actually had a similar problem with my GA-Z87N-Wifi motherboard. The problem was that my CPU (i5 4690) was supported by my motherboard, but only after a BIOS update. Another problem is that you cannot update your motherboard's BIOS without having a supported cpu installed on it...

What I ended up doing is borrowing one of my friend's cpu (i5 4670) just to update my BIOS. After the BIOS update, we installed my CPU and it worked!

I'm using (or bought and plan to use)
Intel Core i7-4770K. It's listed in the June 2014 Buyer's Guide as compatible with this MB, so am hoping for the best when the new MB arrives, probably Thursday. If I"m still stuck after it arrives, I'll look into the BIOS update but hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm using (or bought and plan to use)
Intel Core i7-4770K. It's listed in the June 2014 Buyer's Guide as compatible with this MB, so am hoping for the best when the new MB arrives, probably Thursday. If I"m still stuck after it arrives, I'll look into the BIOS update but hope it doesn't come to that.

Reading from Gigabyte's CPU Support List for that motherboard you should have no problem with the CPU as long as it has at least the F4 BIOS. I assume you were somehow able to test the RAM?

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4600

Good idea to try, all you have to do is see if it posts right? If the RAM is good I'd even try the CPU, if it fits. :)

The new MB arrived this afternoon, just as I was getting ready to leave the house, of course. I did stall long enough to drop it into the case, and install the CPU and RAM.

It works! So it was a bad MB after all. I did not go further with the OS install, because as I mentioned - I was on my way out the door when it arrived - but hope to do the Mavericks install tonight.

Thanks for all your help with this issue. Hopefully things we go more smoothly from here on out :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back