Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help.

I am trying to install El Capitan on my MSI Z77MA-G45 (using onboard HD4000 gfx) which is running the modified 1.4 bios. I have successfully installed Yosemite using Clover in legacy mode so assumed I should be able to do the same for El Capitan also in legacy mode - with no other mobo changes.

I have followed the instructions and am now stuck at the Apple logo screen on the installer with a progress bar that does not move.

Attached is a screenshot as per the support instructions (booted in -v) Also attached is the EFI/CLOVER folder

Any suggestions for how I fix this?

Thanks

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Are you re-writing the old disk? Let me re-phrase that, if El Capitan can be installed in Legacy mode, are you re-installing over the old disk and was it named Yosemite?

If you are trying to install over an old installation then you may need to delete the disk name from the UEFI BIOS. Start multi-beast, go to the UEFI editor, give the command "bcfg boot dump" (without quote marks), look up the old disk that contains your old OSX, "bcfg boot rm xx", where "xx" is the number of the OSX found. Exit, then select MultiBeast install and re-install with a new name (you may need to re-boot the PC and check that the name has been expunged from the Boot selection before doing a new clean install.

Do a screen capture, save as a .jpg, then upload the screen capture as some of us can't directly see a 'zip' file.

Are you re-writing the old disk? Let me re-phrase that, if El Capitan can be installed in Legacy mode, are you re-installing over the old disk and was it named Yosemite?

If you are trying to install over an old installation then you may need to delete the disk name from the UEFI BIOS. Start multi-beast, go to the UEFI editor, give the command "bcfg boot dump" (without quote marks), look up the old disk that contains your old OSX, "bcfg boot rm xx", where "xx" is the number of the OSX found. Exit, then select MultiBeast install and re-install with a new name (you may need to re-boot the PC and check that the name has been expunged from the Boot selection before doing a new clean install.

Do a screen capture, save as a .jpg, then upload the screen capture as some of us can't directly see a 'zip' file.

Hi, thanks for the reply,

Sorry - i'm a bit of a noob. When you say start Multibeast, i'm not sure what you mean. I thought Multibeast ran inside OSX? I put the old HD in (trying to install El Cap on a new HD) and opened Multibeast but could not find the UEFI editor. What am I missing?

thx

Hi, thanks for the reply,

Sorry - i'm a bit of a noob. When you say start Multibeast, i'm not sure what you mean. I thought Multibeast ran inside OSX? I put the old HD in (trying to install El Cap on a new HD) and opened Multibeast but could not find the UEFI editor. What am I missing?

thx

ok, i think I worked out what you mean - booted up using the installer USB and entered the UEFI shell. Ran the first command you suggested and got:

Option 00. Variable: Boot0000
Desc - EFI USB Device

DevPath - PcieRoot (0x0)/Pci (0x1D,0x0)/USB(0x0,0x0)/USB(0x2,0x0)
Optional - N

Then ran the second command and put 00 in place of xx

then reran the first command and it said there were no entries found.

then went back to the installer and the same thing happened as before - it hangs at [PCI configuration end, bridges3, devices 11 ]

Attachments

• IMG_4408.JPG
    IMG_4408.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
ok, i think I worked out what you mean - booted up using the installer USB and entered the UEFI shell. Ran the first command you suggested and got:

Option 00. Variable: Boot0000
Desc - EFI USB Device

DevPath - PcieRoot (0x0)/Pci (0x1D,0x0)/USB(0x0,0x0)/USB(0x2,0x0)
Optional - N

Then ran the second command and put 00 in place of xx

then reran the first command and it said there were no entries found.

then went back to the installer and the same thing happened as before - it hangs at [PCI configuration end, bridges3, devices 11 ]

Update - i tried a full Bios reset and started completely from scratch - still stuck at the same place :(

trying a new track - have updated the bios and tried a UEFI install of Yosemite. That seemed to work ok. Next up, trying a El Cap install

Update - El Cap installer ran with the USB kext files updated as per this post

Last edited:
Glad you're getting a handle on it. Yeah, when you use UniBeast it creates a MultiBeast bootable USB which you can use to install OSX. It can also allow you to go into the UEFI shell to see what devices are in the NVRAM BIOS.

(Mine was a little mangled but it has since trimmed down to just HDDs, CD, and USBs. I figure if now enable ACPI and the C States that it will again re-populate the UEFI entries. I say that only because my Linux Mint is now complaining that ACPI, et. al., mod probe failed. (I find that ACPI modprobe ALWAYS fails.) So I will need to play with setting on ACPI states one at a time.

My problem was that when I first installed OSX it wrote the name I chose (OSX) into the BIOS boot selection and when I wiped the disk away with Linux (to erase EPS/EPI partitions) even though I called it "El Capitan" it didn't change the name in the BIOS/UEFI boot selection. Which meant that I had to delete it from the UEFI NVRAM and then try again. As I said, after that fiasco where I lost my W8.1P and Linux Mint from the boot selection I no longer want to try and fix it by making the OSX partition boot up correctly - I'll just keep using the USB as a boot device and use the Linux boot loader to go into Linux or Windows disks.

Guess what I am trying to say is that if you install Yosemite and now find that you can't install El Capitan it may be because the BIOS/UEFI entries are still remembering the old OS. I used Linux to be able to view the hidden partitions which the Mac does not allow you to see so you can never be sure if it has been wiped clean - just like Windows. When I have problems with Windows machines not being able to boot at work I usually wipe the SDD completely and after clearing the UEFI entries find that it images correctly.

Glad you're getting a handle on it. Yeah, when you use UniBeast it creates a MultiBeast bootable USB which you can use to install OSX. It can also allow you to go into the UEFI shell to see what devices are in the NVRAM BIOS.

(Mine was a little mangled but it has since trimmed down to just HDDs, CD, and USBs. I figure if now enable ACPI and the C States that it will again re-populate the UEFI entries. I say that only because my Linux Mint is now complaining that ACPI, et. al., mod probe failed. (I find that ACPI modprobe ALWAYS fails.) So I will need to play with setting on ACPI states one at a time.

My problem was that when I first installed OSX it wrote the name I chose (OSX) into the BIOS boot selection and when I wiped the disk away with Linux (to erase EPS/EPI partitions) even though I called it "El Capitan" it didn't change the name in the BIOS/UEFI boot selection. Which meant that I had to delete it from the UEFI NVRAM and then try again. As I said, after that fiasco where I lost my W8.1P and Linux Mint from the boot selection I no longer want to try and fix it by making the OSX partition boot up correctly - I'll just keep using the USB as a boot device and use the Linux boot loader to go into Linux or Windows disks.

Guess what I am trying to say is that if you install Yosemite and now find that you can't install El Capitan it may be because the BIOS/UEFI entries are still remembering the old OS. I used Linux to be able to view the hidden partitions which the Mac does not allow you to see so you can never be sure if it has been wiped clean - just like Windows. When I have problems with Windows machines not being able to boot at work I usually wipe the SDD completely and after clearing the UEFI entries find that it images correctly.
Thanks for this! I think the bios update has helped there by wiping it totally clean! Not only did the installer run, but USB3 and ethernet worked before i even ran multibeast! Just testing to see what Audio is doing

Thanks for this! I think the bios update has helped there by wiping it totally clean! Not only did the installer run, but USB3 and ethernet worked before i even ran multibeast! Just testing to see what Audio is doing

Only driver I needed to install via multibeast was the audio driver. Sleep isn't working though - goes to sleep but reboots on wake up - any ideas? Not too bothered if not fixable as using this build as a media server that I never want to sleep :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back