Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus V Gene
CPU
Intel Core i5 3330
Graphics
EVGA GTX 770 2GB
Hi, I downloaded the macOS Sierra beta today and created the USB with "createinstallmedia" but I get a forbidden icon and/or stuck in the last process before starting the installer. I used the same USB with Clover and respective kexts that I use for boot El Capitan 10.11.6 (installer) without problems. Any ideas?

I using (all in the latest version):
- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- FakeSMC.kext
- FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
- FakePCIID.kext
- AppleIntelE1000e.kext
- A USB ports unlocker kext because I using a iMac SMBIOS and you know the new USB ports restricting system... but this last apparently doesn't work in Sierra.

My hardware? Yes:
MB: Asus Maximus V Gene (Chipset Z77/7 Series)
CPU: Intel Core i5 3330 3.0Ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 2GB GDDR5

RAM: 16GB G.skill @ 1600Mhz
SSD: Corsair Force GS 240GB
HDD: Caviar Black 1TB and a Caviar Blue 320GB
PSU: 700W

Finally I installed macOS Sierra, I Just used the legacy-iMac14,2 file, anyone know why I can't use the UEFI mode with my motherboard (Asus Maximus V Gene Z77)? I checked the bios settings but it just boot in another drive skipping the UEFI mode Clover installation.

Finally I installed macOS Sierra, I Just used the legacy-iMac14,2 file, anyone know why I can't use the UEFI mode with my motherboard (Asus Maximus V Gene Z77)? I checked the bios settings but it just boot in another drive skipping the UEFI mode Clover installation.
Check your BIOS version against the BIOS upgrades at the OEM site for your board - you might need to update the BIOS.
Alternately, check your BIOS settings for booting - could be set at Legacy only, Legacy+UEFI or UEFI only on most 7 series boards, so set for UEFI only and disable CSM for UEFI installation.

Check your BIOS version against the BIOS upgrades at the OEM site for your board - you might need to update the BIOS.
Alternately, check your BIOS settings for booting - could be set at Legacy only, Legacy+UEFI or UEFI only on most 7 series boards, so set for UEFI only and disable CSM for UEFI installation.

I created a new usb with the UEFI mode and booted without changing any setting on my MB but when I install it into the Sierra HD no matter if is legacy or uefi mode simply skips it and goes to the other disk with El Capitan.

I created a new usb with the UEFI mode and booted without changing any setting on my MB but when I install it into the Sierra HD no matter if is legacy or uefi mode simply skips it and goes to the other disk with El Capitan.
Can you boot the Sierra drive if you boot to Clover with the USB installer? If yes, the problem is you need to install Clover boot loader and at least FakeSMC.kext on the Sierra SSD.

I ran into this problem when installing Sierra for the first time. It seems that using Disk Utility doesn't always create the necessary EFI partition on some USB drives; if there's none present, Clover (with its kexts) will be installed on the main partition, at the root level. Result: the dreaded "forbidden" icon during a boot attempt.

To solve this, you must use the 'sudo diskutil partitionDisk' command in the Terminal to format the install USB, and explicitly specify the creation of an EFI partition on the USB. (If you're unfamiliar with 'diskutil', read the man page by typing 'man diskutil' to find out how to use it, and what options you need to specify.) Once this—and the re-copy of the Sierra installer—is done, Clover should install normally in the USB's EFI.

Note to Unibeast developer(s): Unibeast for Sierra should check for missing EFI...please implement!

Last edited:
I ran into this problem when installing Sierra for the first time. It seems that using Disk Utility doesn't always create the necessary EFI partition on some USB drives; if there's none present, Clover (with its kexts) will be installed on the main partition, at the root level. Result: the dreaded "forbidden" icon during a boot attempt.

To solve this, you must use the 'sudo diskutil partitionDisk' command in the Terminal to format the install USB, and explicitly specify the creation of an EFI partition on the USB. (If you're unfamiliar with 'diskutil', read the man page by typing 'man diskutil' to find out how to use it, and what options you need to specify.) Once this—and the re-copy of the Sierra installer—is done, Clover should install normally in the USB's EFI.

Note to Unibeast developer(s): Unibeast for Sierra should check for missing EFI...please implement!

I too had a similar problem and to fix it before partitioning the usb I would erase it and get the untitled rename. Was erasing the s2 partition (main) and then partitioning but the new Clover EFI wouldn't stick when loading bootloader.
In other words, I think I was partitioning over the old EFI file and it was staying in the EFI partition along with the new EFI I was injecting. I had a rock solid config.plist and known workable Clover settings and couldn't get in. Once I erased the entire USB the problem went away.

For multibeast what kext and boot loader are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back