Contribute
Register

Stuck at Apple logo after following Sniki's guide (HP ELITE 8300 SFF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already confirmed Serial Port A has been disabled under Advanced > Onboard Devices

Serial1.png

Serial2.png

Last edited:
P1LGRIM, I've already confirmed Serial Port A has been disabled under Advanced > Onboard Devices
View attachment 404792

trs96, I'm getting three timeouts in the verbose then the screen refreshes with a white square/gray background.
I'll try removing the AppleALC.kext file and see what happens.
View attachment 404793
  • If this is persistently stuck ( >~30 minutes)you are having a Graphics related Freeze.
  • Information needed to clarify this problem and suggest a fix:
    • Your BIOS Graphics related Options and
    • your CLOVER folder as zip
Edited to add: Did you Save the Edited SP after you posted the "Confirmed BIOS editing" screen shot?
I've assumed you have redone the step after the Verbose boot showed again the Enabled Serial Port

Last edited:
I've seen those timeouts many times with the HP 8300. Even after all of the install and post install is done. Sometimes they last 10 minutes possibly up to twenty. One thing you could try is removing the AppleALC kext from your USB installer and see if that helps. It would be in the kexts/other folder on the EFI partition.

trs96, I used Clover Configurator to remove the AppleALC kext from my USB installer. I booted via verbose; I'm still getting the three timeouts follow by a screen refresh with a white square/gray background.

Does anyone suggest I use a different guide? Maybe tonymax86's Mojave guide?

Yes, I see those as well. I've comb through the BIOS and cant find an option to disable either of them. All I find is the option to disable Serial Port A.

Could it be the BIOS version, I'm running 3.04?
Both Sniki's guide and trs96 mentioned v2.99 and v3.04 as compatible versions.
If the Edited and Saved options are not retained in the BIOS, check the Date and Time and Year on the BIOS menu.
If they also have changed, you may have an expired CMOS battery and CMOS is not retaining the Edited BIOS options.

If the Edited and Saved options are not retained in the BIOS, check the Date and Time and Year on the BIOS menu.
If they also have changed, you may have an expired CMOS battery and CMOS is not retaining the Edited BIOS options.

• If this is persistently stuck ( >~30 minutes)you are having a Graphics related Freeze.
  • Information needed to clarify this problem and suggest a fix:
    • Your BIOS Graphics related Options and
    • your CLOVER folder as zip
Edited to add: Did you Save the Edited SP after you posted the "Confirmed BIOS editing" screen shot?
I've assumed you have redone the step after the Verbose boot showed again the Enabled Serial Port

As requested, I attached my CLOVER folder as a zip; which includes the AppleALC.kext file I removed per trs96 suggestion.

I confirmed CMOS is retaining the changes I'm making in BIOS; after each install attempt or reboot my BIOS settings remain intact.

The only BIOS Graphics options I'm finding is for the integrated (video) Intel HD 2500; which is disabled
bios-graphic-options.jpg

Once more, Serial Port A is disabled in the BIOS. When I compare two different verbose screenshots (one with it enabled and one without), I see "...Serial channels at PCI Bus..." is still listed, but I can find an option in the BIOS to disable it.
serial-port-enabled.jpgserial-port-diabled.jpg

In the BIOS, under Advanced > Bus Options is PCI SERR# Generation which I disabled in an attempt to get this desktop to boot properly.
bios-bus-options.jpg

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
As requested, I attached my CLOVER folder as a zip; which includes the AppleALC.kext file I removed per trs96 suggestion.

I confirmed CMOS is retaining the changes I'm making in BIOS; after each install attempt or reboot my BIOS settings remain intact.

The only BIOS Graphics options I'm finding is for the integrated (video) Intel HD 2500; which is disabled
View attachment 404838

Also, Serial Port A is disabled in the BIOS. When I compare two different verbose screenshots (one with it enabled and one without), I see "...Serial channels at PCI Bus..." is still listed, but I can find an option in the BIOS to disable it.
View attachment 404850View attachment 404849
  • Serial Channels are NOT the same as Serial Port .
    • That won't cause issue.
  • Is there a BIOS Option to make your Integrated HD 2500 Auto ? (Not Enabled or Disabled?).
  • If no Auto option available, if you Enable IGFX, will that Automatically make the PEG (PCIE Graphics) Disabled? (unknown are the ways of Proprietary BIOS of Brand Name PCs!)
  • If no problem in Monitor screen Display occurs with IGFX Auto or Enabled, then in your config.plist_Graphics add [√]Inject Intel
  • See all edited config.plist screen captures.

Attachments

• 1.config_Boot.png
    1.config_Boot.png
    227 KB · Views: 40
  • 2.config_Graphics.png
    2.config_Graphics.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.config-Gui.png
    3.config-Gui.png
    236 KB · Views: 39
  • 4.config_SMBIOS.png
    4.config_SMBIOS.png
    239.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 6.config-System Preferences.png
    6.config-System Preferences.png
    242.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Serial Channels are NOT the same as Serial Port .
    • That won't cause issue.
  • Is there a BIOS Option to make your Integrated HD 2500 Auto ? (Not Enabled or Disabled?).
  • If no Auto option available, if you Enable IGFX, will that Automatically make the PEG (PCIE Graphics) Disabled? (unknown are the ways of Proprietary BIOS of Brand Name PCs!)
  • If no problem in Monitor screen Display occurs with IGFX Auto or Enabled, then in your config.plist_Graphics add [√]Inject Intel
  • See all edited config.plist screen captures.

- There is no auto option in BIOS for the Integrated HD 2500, just Enable and Disable - at this time its disabled.
- I see no IGFX option in BIOS, so I wouldn't know where or how to enable it.
- Since there is no IGFX option, should I continue with the config.plist changes?
- Fyi.. below are the BIOS settings instructions I'm using
bios-settings-instructions.png

- There is no auto option in BIOS for the Integrated HD 2500, just Enable and Disable - at this time its disabled.
- Since there is no IGFX option, should I continue with the config.plist changes?
View attachment 404874
  • If you Enabled IGFX and then booted and you get no Display , then you don't have PCIE .
  • Shut Down >Remove Power cable>Open the Case> Clear CMOS using CMOS Jumper pins: shunting the 2 pins with Flathead Screw driver for 10-20 seconds and reverse that procedure or Temporarily remove CMOS battery for 10 seconds and
  • Reconnect Power Reboot>Load Optimized Default BIOS is displayed on Monitor Screen> Reboot> > Enter BIOS Setup> Reapply all BIOS options required for macOS as it was before you changed the Graphics>Save and Reboot >go to CBM screen.

View attachment 404874
If you have not Applied with F10, changed option is not saved.
If you have applied F-10, according to the loaded instruction, use Factory Defaults instead of CMOS Clearing .
You may use that option anytime you have made a wrong choice.
After Factory Defaults, you have to reapply all BIOS Options once again. and Save with F10.

Since I don't own any Proprietary Desktop PCs, I am not familiar with how they setup their BIOS and use BIOS Menus off hand. I have to read the Manual!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back