Contribute
Register

Strange : Quartz Extreme fluidity on GeForce 4XX (fermi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte
CPU
3,4 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2047 Mo
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everybody,

Now i can fully use my GTX 460, i detected something strange about performances.
Usually, i got little lags (very little but not so smooth) in Spaces, Exposé, Dashboard, Stacks, etc... All things using accelerations in SL interface.
But there's the strange thing : I don't know why but sometimes performances goes extremely fluid, no lag at all and i didn't touched any settings or something, and this until i reboot.

It's like OSX "limit" performances by default, but sometimes OSX remove it for some reasons, I tried to found what can reproduce this but no luck. I think this is why every people got poor or middle scores in benchmarks.

I checked Quartz, it is enabled correctly.
Oh, and i removed AppleGraphicsPowerManagment.kext.
Again sorry for my bad english :rolleyes:

Any idea ? Is anyone have same problem ?
Tony, your expertise is welcome :D :thumbup:

Additionnal information : looks like i'm not alone on this issue, and i found how to simply "unleash" the full power : Add Spaces to a hotkey (i use F13, enable Spaces if it disabled), active/de-active it very fast with the hotkey, about 1 or 2 seconds later, fluidity is here, one minute later, she's gone.

Some people on others forum think it's a "Beam Sync" related setting, I searched how to edit it, I found how, tried it, but nothing change...
If anyone know how to constantly run with beam sync disabled, tell us :wave:

i have the exact same problem with my GTX 470, And i used to have it with my GTS 250.
With my 9500gt i did not have this issue.

It´s seems that affect real macs

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2131859&start=0&tstart=0

The strange thing is that i didn't have this problem with the "unofficial" Fermi driver.

Your method works well, i also do this.
I open Itunes, turn on the visualizer, then i minimize iTunes to the dock.

I have this exact same problem, except my card is a PNY GTX 260.

My workaround was to go to Display Preferences, disable "Overscan", enable it again, then change back to native resolution. This gets rid of the choppiness until I reboot.

I much prefer not to have to do this every time I boot up, though. :D Any recent developments?

"disable overscan"??? Where is that?
I don´t have that option in system preferences

Same problem here, very little lag..on GT430

I solved this issue by changing smbios.plist to macpro 4,1 or 5,1 and edited the applegraphicspowermanagment kext
Everything works perfect now.
The only problem is that the gpu runs much hotter now.

Is there any way to increase the gpu fan speed in osx?

I have this very issue, and I'm running a gigabyte 9800gt silent cell. I can actually see jaggy block-like artifacts in the middle of animation if I minimize firefox, move to another space, and click on the firefox dock icon. This results in spaces animation occuring simultaneously with restoration of the minimized firefox window, and it looks like a jaggy, diagonal tear is happening as the window opens. Also, things like quicklook are slightly choppy, just enough to be annoying. Video also stops playback (in VLC) if I start dragging a window and upon letting go the video will temporarily show compression-type artifacts. I have no problems running 1080p, though.

Overall, it's not really slow, just choppy--somewhat. Interestingly, I have a mini 10v (quite a slow system) running 10.6.5, and animations are slower but still smooth. Also, I have a hack running 10.5, which is quite snappy in all animations.

I've also tried removing the applegpupowermanagement.kext and changing to macpro 4,1 in smbios, to no avail. Certain animations are consistently quick, such as opening a hard drive or folder, and I'm getting 28-29 fps in cinebench, I guess due to the core i7. Don't mean to be long-winded, but I'm really hoping someone figures this one out. It seems a lot of the complaints are with NVIDIA cards. I'm half tempted to try out a 5770...

demianariel said:
I solved this issue by changing smbios.plist to macpro 4,1 or 5,1 and edited the applegraphicspowermanagment kext

What did you edit in the GraphicsPowerManagement.kext?

jeffburg said:
demianariel said:

What did you edit in the GraphicsPowerManagement.kext?

I edited the Info.plist inside the kext.

the part when it says:

<key>MacPro4,1</key>
<dict>
<key>Vendor10deDevice06cd</key>
<dict>
<key>Heuristic</key>
<dict>

The "06cd" represents the ID of the GTX 470.

The ID for your GT 240 is 0ca3

Good Luck!

And post your results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back