Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork, when I insert a movie DVD I'm getting this error message:

"a valid dvd drive could not be found 70012"

I did some searching on the site and found a kext that looked like it might fix this, but Mavericks rejected it. Are you experiencing this problem? The kext I tried was in this thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...eject-button-dvd-player-fixed.html#post511155

DVDs are working in 10.9 with my Sony Optiarc drive. I'm guessing you're using the LG though?

Yes, I'm using the LG.

Yes, I'm using the LG.

Me, too, and I get the same error using Apple/Mavericks DVD Player. Thanks for pointing out this problem. I believe our LG DVD drives need to be updated. Mine is two years old and probably doesn't have the latest movie HCMI codes that DVD Player wants to see.

However, VLC plays the DVD just fine. So, it's not the LG DVD drive, but Apple's DVD Player.

Me, too, and I get the same error. Thanks for pointing out this problem. I believe our LG DVD drives need to be updated. Mine is two years old and probably doesn't have the latest movie HCMI codes. I'll check and report back later.

Yeah, mine's two years old also. When you say updated, do you mean some kind of software (firmware?) update, or we just need to buy a new one?

Also, Stork, do you have USB 3.0 working on this board, or don't you care about it?

Yeah, mine's two years old also. When you say updated, do you mean some kind of software (firmware?) update, or we just need to buy a new one?
I looked that the firmware just now and am not convinced it would cure the problem. (Last f/w update for my LG dive was in Jul 12, and didn't even mention Win8.) So, maybe new DVD drive time IF you want to use Apple's Marvericks DVD Player. 3rd party plays seem to work.

[quot]Also, Stork, do you have USB 3.0 working on this board, or don't you care about it?[/QUOTE]LOL! I don't care at the moment since I don't any USB 3 devices at Zorro's location. Have you tried USB 3?

Really the only time I need a DVD player on here is if I burn home movies to a DVD and want to test it. I wonder if iDVD will still work...I guess I need to test that. If iDVD doesn't work, then it's definitely time for a new drive. Do you have any suggestions, or should I just look at TonyMac's recommended builds?

The only things I would have that would be USB 3 would be thumb drives. Sometimes the extra speed would be nice... but I'm like you, I don't care a whole lot about it. I just thought if you had it working, I'd hook mine up and start to use it.

I just tested RipIt on a movie DVD. Worked fine. I don't have a need, yet, to try iDVD. So, let me know the result if you use iDVD. :thumbup:

I just tested RipIt on a movie DVD. Worked fine. I don't have a need, yet, to try iDVD. So, let me know the result if you use iDVD. :thumbup:

Just tested iDVD and works fine. So, I guess I can just make the DVDs here and play them on my wife's. :thumbup:

For gillies and grins, I changed my SysDef to MacMini5,1, and DVD Player worked! Go figure.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back