Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Working great on an i7-9770 and rtx 2080! Took like 4 hours but very worth it. I built my first PC for games, but needed macOS for school as Windows was just trash for pdf/viewing/editing.

Hi Stork, how was your vacation?
I just changed my video card: Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56.
Bought it on EBay.
Uninstalled the nVidia driver, removed the web-driver flag in Clover Configurator.
Shutdown, changed card (wooh, the AMD card = big).
Restarted, and it worked, card is correctly shown in My Mac.
Very happy, just wanted to share....

Last edited:
Damn you, @Stork LOL!:D I just got my "War Machine VIII Hero" up and running when I find your guide for the "My Hero II". I need that coffee lake in my life LOL. :D Excellent guide as always. I've got the motherboard just waiting for the 8700K to come in. It's time to upgrade this build to "War Machine Mark II".

Last edited:
Do you still need to inject Intel if you disabled it in the BIOS. My card is working but I get occasional glitches when watching video. I'm on a WQHD monitor.
Yes.

Hi there!
Bios question: with your build, do you have enable IGPU and disable CSM.
I read it somewhere but I’m not sure of what it’s for..
Thank you for your help.

Hi there!
Thank you for your help.

Got nearly the same build, I've disabled these two options. IGPU means the integrated GPU of your Intel CPU. Some users leave it enabled while using a discrete GPU, others leave it enabled. I'm not sure, but in some Applications like Final Cut you might use the integrated GPU as a CoProcessor. In my case I had to disable it because I'm facing issues with Call of Duty WW2 running on Windows. Since this is the only game I play, for me it's okay to disable IGPU.

CSM means Compatibility Support Module, pretty simple it emulates a old fashioned BIOS needed for older Operating Systems.

cheers!

Hi there!
Thank you for your help.

These are 2 options I have just changed in my BIOS as I have finally jumped ship from a Nvidia GTX 960 to the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse. With my GTX card I needed to disable CSM support otherwise Clover wouldn't boot in native screen resolution. It still worked but just looked ugly! However, when I dropped in the 580, I just got a black screen until macOS loaded and the screen came to life which I believe is what also happens on real Macs. I found another post on this forum where someone had the same issue and enabled CSM then got back the BIOS and Clover boot screenS. So I am now running with CSM turned on.

I have also now enabled the iGPU since uninstalling the Nvidia drivers. I used the same settings as @pastrychef for his UHD630 in his guide here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...wi-fi-ac-build-w-i9-9900k-amd-vega-56.239969/. I removed all the boot flags, DSDT patches and graphics things from Clover, and I now just let WhateverGreen do its thing like it says on their GitHub. I have full acceleration, DRM and no issues whatsoever - all on the latest High Sierra version.

Back