Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - is there any way to control the fan speed on the VIII Hero running High Sierra please? Installed the latest FakeSMC/HWMonitor/HWSensors but the HWMonitor fan controls aren't responding. Thanks

Anybody have any ideas on this one please? Is it possible to control fan speeds on this board in OSX? Thanks

Anybody have any ideas on this one please? Is it possible to control fan speeds on this board in OSX? Thanks
Not that I'm aware of. However, check the HERO's User Manual. Otherwise, you'll to get one of those add-on case front panel fan control or Google macOS fan control. Good luck!

Stork,
My build is almost identical to yours. I have followed all of the installation instructions and I cannot get any internal hard drives to be recognized when I reach the installation screen. I get past the "Select language" then go to Disk Utility and internal drives will not be listed. Any external drive I plug into the machine is recognized, just not internals. I have taken out the Ssd and just tried the M.2 and vice versa. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Stork,
My build is almost identical to yours. I have followed all of the installation instructions and I cannot get any internal hard drives to be recognized when I reach the installation screen. I get past the "Select language" then go to Disk Utility and internal drives will not be listed. Any external drive I plug into the machine is recognized, just not internals. I have taken out the Ssd and just tried the M.2 and vice versa. Do you have any suggestions?
At the first window of the installation, choose Utilities.
Open Disk Utility.
In the menu bar, choose View > Show all Devices. You will now see all drives. If you need to format any of them, do so now.
Afterwards, quite Disk Utility and proceed with the installation.

Re Spectre/Meltdown, while updating bios to 3703 (which makes bios setup easier, since it eliminates entire "Advanced" section options in Stork's guide), I came across a post re Intel Management Engine vulnerabilities (see http://www.eweek.com/security/intel-patches-management-engine-for-critical-vulnerabilities). The chipset update is available for the Hero on Asus' support page, but only with a Windows installer. Any ideas short of installing windows?

For anyone that has every had any issues with the audio on these type of Asus boards. Esp if you are considering upgrading to High Sierra. This simply USB adapter is plug and play for majority of OSX versions. I purchased it because I would loose audio randomly in system preferences. With this it simply works and I have a little mic I plugged in that lets Siri and calls work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

For anyone that has every had any issues with the audio on these type of Asus boards. Esp if you are considering upgrading to High Sierra. This simply USB adapter is plug and play for majority of OSX versions. I purchased it because I would loose audio randomly in system preferences. With this it simply works and I have a little mic I plugged in that lets Siri and calls work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
The Sabrent USB sound dongles work great! I have one to use if needed. There is one of the Sabrents in the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide, Accessories section, too. :thumbup:

My build worked perfectly until now Hope some can help. It’s freezing randonly just after booting. When I try to open a .jpg or Safari or anything else it freezes! Hard reset brings it back to life, but just until I try to open a file. I’m on sierra and haven’t made any change. It started when I tried importing pictures from my iphone with photos native app. Multiple freezes and hard reset to make it work again. Could it be my crucial m.2 ssd?! Can’t undetand what happened. @Stork

EDIT - So I update my bios and it seems to be working now. After updating the bios I had to
run MultiBeast v9.2, and select the following and reboot.

Bootloaders > Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM

Thanks for your isntrucitons @Stork

Last edited:
First of all - Thank you Stork for posting details on this awesome build!

I'm having sleep related problems with my High Sierra build:
  • CPU: i7-7700k
  • Memory: 48gb DDR3
  • GPU: Nvidia 1080 EVGA Hybrid
  • Motherboard: Asus Extreme VIII Gene
  • Network Card: Broadcom BCM94352Z on a Fenvi PCIe card
  • Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX
  • HDD: M.2 and couple of Samsung SSDs
  • Other Accessories: HTC Vive, Apple Bluetooth trackpad
My system sleeps for couple of seconds and then wakes up almost immediately - sometimes I get black screen, sometimes it wakes up normally. Often times Blutooth doesn't function afters

Now, the funny thing is that everything (including sleep) was working flawlessly until I installed my Wifi/BT card using the Fenvi PCIE adapter. Almost everything on the Wifi/Bluetooth front works great (Cannot connect to my 5G network though).

I have read something about patching the Wifi/BT card so it appears to be an internal one. Also read USB ports causing sleep problems.

Any insight into this?

Thanks in advance!

If you have the Fenvi T919 card, then it should work w/o any drivers or patching. If it's not the T919, return it if you can. If it is the T919, make sure you have the power cable connected to the USB 2 header. Other than those two points, I don't know how to solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back