Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I got the script to run and now I have devices showing up but the issue is getting very strange.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 5.44.51 PM.png

I have my main monitor hooked up via mDP which I'm guessing might be part of the issue. I'm not able to get audio through my monitor speakers. But the weird thing is that if I go to youtube, a video won't even play unless I switch the output source to one of the line outs. Then it plays, but continuously shows the loading circle in the middle of the video. Even if I have it on line out to begin with, I need to switch it to the other one in order for youtube videos to play. I turned off ad blocker thinking that might be an issue but it wasn't. If I have it set to Digital Out, videos won't even load. Nor will other music streaming services.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 5.50.37 PM.png

I also installed audio_CloverHDMI and switched the monitor to HDMI and it didn't change anything.

Hey Stork, is there a place that I can see your config.plist for this build? built basically the same thing, except with a GTX 1080. Worked like a charm for a few months. Now it is having kernel panics and wake from sleep errors pretty often and I can't quite seem to figure out the cause. I have 16gb gskill 3333 ram, HW monitor is saying its only getting 1.0v but in the bios it was at 1.35. I just upped it to 1.4 hoping that would fix it but the problem keeps persisting

No, I don't share my config.plist as sharing the file doesn't really help solve your (or other's) problems. Look at my Installation Notes after the Sound pane setup and before the Summary in Post #1.

You also might have a bad memory stick. Run memtest86 for 24 hours to thoroughly test your memory.

So, first, turn off the autopoweroff. Then, run the memtest86. Good luck! :thumbup:

No, I don't share my config.plist as sharing the file doesn't really help solve your (or other's) problems. Look at my Installation Notes after the Sound pane setup and before the Summary in Post #1.

You also might have a bad memory stick. Run memtest86 for 24 hours to thoroughly test your memory.

So, first, turn off the autopoweroff. Then, run the memtest86. Good luck! :thumbup:
Everything looks good from that section, poweroff was 0 and it says success loading the aml. I am a bit confused about looking at the config plist from the clover folder in the mounted EFI.

Mine doesn't really have much set.

In boot, there is darkwake, and dart=0 checked,

graphics and CPU section have no values.

Devices only has a 1 in inject for audio.

disabled drivers says nothing

GUI has some settings that appear correct

Grpahics section is blank. the nvidia web drivers work fine

This is my kernel and info in kexts to patch (not quite sure what the to patch means? is there something I need to do? it seems these are the things that were added by MultiBeast)

upload_2017-9-20_9-31-53.png

kernel to pach, boot paches, and forc kexttoload are blank.

One of the big things I'm scratching my head about is the SMBIOS section. I've seen videos where people manually put in their memory info. mine is blank, and they system is recognizing the 16GB of ram at 3333MHz - this makes me think its fine, but should this section be blank? if i try to manually add info about my ram, there is no 3333 option from the frequency drop down
upload_2017-9-20_9-34-45.png

then in system parameters inject system id and nvidiaweb is checked.

If stork or anyone takes time to check this out and has thoughts, thanks so much, I know this is a beast of a post

EDIT: 1 last question, did you leave the voltage to components as is? I assume so since its not in the guide.

Last edited:
Everything looks good from that section, poweroff was 0 and it says success loading the aml. I am a bit confused about looking at the config plist from the clover folder in the mounted EFI.

Mine doesn't really have much set.

In boot, there is darkwake, and dart=0 checked,
I have only dart=0.
graphics and CPU section have no values.
Same.
Devices only has a 1 in inject for audio.
Same.
disabled drivers says nothing
Same.
GUI has some settings that appear correct
Same.
Graphics section is blank. the nvidia web drivers work fine
That's set in System Parameters.
This is my kernel and info in kexts to patch (not quite sure what the to patch means? is there something I need to do? it seems these are the things that were added by MultiBeast)

View attachment 279648
kernel to patch, boot patches, and force kexttoload are blank.
You have the 15 patch limits patch listed 3 times. Remove the last two occurrences.
One of the big things I'm scratching my head about is the SMBIOS section. I've seen videos where people manually put in their memory info. mine is blank, and they system is recognizing the 16GB of ram at 3333MHz - this makes me think its fine, but should this section be blank? if i try to manually add info about my ram, there is no 3333 option from the frequency drop down
View attachment 279649
My memory is also blank. Just make sure your BIOS settings match mine as shown in Post #1.
then in system parameters inject system id and nvidiaweb is checked.
Same.
If stork or anyone takes time to check this out and has thoughts, thanks so much, I know this is a beast of a post

EDIT: 1 last question, did you leave the voltage to components as is? I assume so since its not in the guide.
I left the BIOS to determine the memory settings based upon turning on XMP.

OK, thank you for the response. I think there's 3 entries cause at times when my Bluetooth would stop working I'd run MultiBeast and check the USB max ports setting, and strangely that would seem to fix it. I will try removing them. Gonna run the memtest this weekend, as I'm trying to get some work in in between crashes.

Greetings !
Could I use the i7 7700k instead 6700k?
It's a lot cheaper than the 6700k

Thanks
ROG.jpg

Greetings !
Could I use the i7 7700k instead 6700k?
It's a lot cheaper than the 6700k

ThanksView attachment 279843

6700 is they skylake chipset. 7700 is the newer kaby lake. I was under the assumption that one was the 170 chipset, and the newer was 270. But they both have the 1151 LGA socket which this motherboard requires.

Things might be different due to the newer chipset. But it should work. may want to search for people who did builds with kaby lake processors

Edit: after looking a bit more. to get kaby lake to work on a z170 it requires updating the motherboard bios, which may or may not be a headache.

I know when I set up the current build I updated the motherboard to the newest bios firmware, but was having trouble, then downgraded to a few versions back to get it to work. You may run into an issue where the required bios version for the kaby lake to work is higher then whats gonna work with the hack. I don't know. I'm not a big expert. Hopefully someone else can chime in

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back