Contribute
Register

Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 & GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 Two Monitors

Dear Stork,

Couple of questions regarding the Yosemite install. I have the Gigabyte G85M-D3H motherboard with Intel 4670. I noticed that your system definition on your install is 14,1. There was another fellow who installed Yosemite on a Gigabyte B85M D3SH motherboard and he used the 3,1 system definition. Which one should I use?

I also have the Realtek LAN chipset. Will I be using the 8111 realtek drivers on Multibeast? I checked my motherboard website and it does not specifically specify which model of the realtek chipset my board uses.

I noticed that you did not use trim enabler on your Multibeast settings. Why is that?

Misscomp
Get it working on the default MP3,1 first. Then, as you get it stable, and find out what you need, you can change. However, if you're going to use on-board graphics, it won't hurt to use iMac14,1.

My SSD uses a SandForce controller which has very good "garbage collection." It won't hurt to use TRIM because Windoze automatically uses it by default. However, several good SSD's have controllers that don't need TRIM. Do your research (review articles, etc.) on the Internet to see if your SSD requires TRIM.

Dear Stork,

Thanks for your help again. I was able to access the Multibeast guide that you recommended. Under the Realtek network drivers can you guide me to the one that I should install?

RealtekRTL81xx or
RealtekRT8111 or
Realtek-AppleRTL8169Ethernet

I am using the Gigabyte B85M D3H board. It has realtek as the ethernet chip but I don't know the exact model. Do i have to contact Gigabyte to find or can I go into the BIOS to check? I will be trying to install Yosemite.

Misscomp

Misscomp,

Look in you Motherboard's User Manual. It's listed up front in the "grayed" pages.

Dear Stork,

I pulled out the manual and it just says Realtek Gbe LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit). It does not say the exact model of the chip.
Thanks again.

Misscomp

...I pulled out the manual and it just says Realtek Gbe LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit).
Well, the manual wasn't as much help for your motherboard as it has been for my motherboards. I searched and found that your LAN chipset is the Realtek 8111F. So, in MultiBeast, try the
Driver > Netowrk > Realtek > RealtekRTL8111​

So I followed the guide for this build with my i3-4360 and got to where I can consistently boot with no problems but my onboard graphics are showing Display 3 MB. I've looked around a lot and tried IntelAzulFB=1-15 which didn't do anything. What should I try next? I can get the HD4600 to show up no matter what I try.

So I followed the guide for this build with my i3-4360 and got to where I can consistently boot with no problems but my onboard graphics are showing Display 3 MB. I've looked around a lot and tried IntelAzulFB=1-15 which didn't do anything. What should I try next? I can get the HD4600 to show up no matter what I try.
Did you follow my Yosemite installation guide here as I referred to in my OP in this thread?

I'm somewhat confused by your statement "...I can consistently boot with no problems but my onboard graphics are showing Display 3 MB..." Where is it showing "Display 3MB"? And why is that a problem?

Is there a typo in "I can get the HD4600 to show up no matter what I try"?

Dear Stork,

Thanks again. You are right. I just reviewed this recent build by martinwendel and he has the z97m d3h motherboard and it probably has a LAN chip similar to mine. He used the RTL8111 driver also.

Will I be using the Universal 3.0 driver? I have the Gigabyte B85M d3H board.

Misscomp

...Will I be using the Universal 3.0 driver? I have the Gigabyte B85M d3H board.
No, that is for earlier motherboard series.

Did you follow my Yosemite installation guide here as I referred to in my OP in this thread?

I'm somewhat confused by your statement "...I can consistently boot with no problems but my onboard graphics are showing Display 3 MB..." Where is it showing "Display 3MB"? And why is that a problem?

Is there a typo in "I can get the HD4600 to show up no matter what I try"?

Yes, I followed that guide exactly and it worked great. I got a boot0 error after installation but that was from my SSD, otherwise, it was a smooth install. Now, the system just feels slow, especially the mouse with no transparent launcher or anything. If I go to "About This Mac" it just says "Display 3 MB" next to graphics. Going into system report, the graphics tab says:

Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 3 MB
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 10
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0412
Revision ID: 0x0006
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

It doesn't seem to be fully using the onboard graphics. And yes, that was a typo, sorry - it was pretty late when I wrote that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back