Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a GA-Z77X-UP5-TH build that started as a Windows 7 build. My Windows 7 boot and data drives are Truecrypt full drive encrypted. I just recently installed a new SSD just for the Mac install, which is mostly working fine. The first issue is booting - I am using the default Chimera boot loader and it will not recognize the Truecrypt Windows 7 boot drive so I have to hold F12 during boot to manually select the boot drive. Not optimal but it works.

The main issue is when OS X boots I get two of the following dialog boxes (guessing one for each of the two drives):

image.tiff

Note: I pasted an image of the dialog above but it is not showing. The dialog says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" with Initialize, Ignore and Eject buttons

I click Ignore for both and continue on my way. My concern is I am setting this up for the rest of the family to use and I do not want any chance of my Windows drives being formatted. I know it takes more than just clicking one button, but I would rather not have this dialog displayed.

I searched this site and others that say to use fstab to stop OS X from auto mounting drives but that requires a UUID and the file type specified. diskutil info shows the two Truecrypt drives with no name (to use as Label in fstab), no UUID, so I do not know how to have OS X ignore these drives during startup. I saw threads where others are having this same issue but did not see a resolution.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Check my signature. I used automator. It works for me as I use automatic log in. If you don't use auto log in...then you probably have to put the script in the shared user folder and have the script run under each user's start up applications.

Of course, after the script is run...If you log out and back in, automator will report an error that it can't perform the tast (since ignore was already clicked "automatically"). Then you just click okay and carry on your way. This is a better option than somebody clicking into disk utility.

Also, I don't know if you do this or not but I make a single admin user. then I make a default "Auto-Login" user. So when my computer starts up my automator script runs automatically (set up in the user log-in system preferences) under my default user. I have a few other users as well for screen display settings and other reasons. With the single admin user (not the user that gets logged in automatically), it prevents everyone from doing things without typing the username and password...adding programs changing settings, even formatting disks I believe.

I, personally, like going an extra step of logging out of one user and logging into the admin user to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

EDIT: Your process for making an automator script will include clicking both of your "can't read" windows...I only had one window.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like the only way is to use automater to close those dialogs? Your reply made it sound as if an automater example is in your signature but if so did not see it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back