1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Ok, so I still get kernel panics sometime after waking from sleep. It's been running completely stable without going to sleep. I am using tony's sleep enabled DSDT (I have a UD2 mobo - my hardware should be in my sig), which brings me to this question:
-do I have to do anything special before using his DSDT (besides removing the two kexts and using Kext Utility)? Tony wrote in the guide that it assumes that I have done the previous DSDT guide of making my own - do I actually have to extract my own before using his or some other step?

Other things that cause KPs (only after waking from sleep):
-Plugging in a USB stick or hard drive (front ports)

-Eject said USB stick or hard drive (if lucky enough not to have KP'd when plugging in or it went to sleep plugged in)

-I have a large disk image (of my previous Mac) that I mount occasionally. The image is about 100GB or so and when I mount it, I skip the verification because I'm impatient. Skipping causes a KP after a wake from sleep - does not on a fresh boot.

-One interesting thing I've noticed that could be coincidental or not - if I try to log on to Gmail in Safari, when I tab to the password field it KP's. If I do the same thing without going to sleep, it works fine BUT there is a 1-2 second lag when it goes to the password field and then the red dotted line appears under my username (apparently my username is not in the dictionary, lol). Maybe a coincidence but always causes a KP after being in sleep mode.

Let me know if you need any clarification or need any more info from me. Thank you

You should check your console for messages when doing all of these things. That should help identify the problem.

wlp5 said:
You should check your console for messages when doing all of these things. That should help identify the problem.

It's going to sound crazy, but I can't find anything in the Console that says to me it has to do with the KP. Also, there is nothing in /Library/Logs/PanicReporter (in fact there is no PanicReporter directory in neither the main Library nor the user Library)

Since you have the exact same setup as me, try updating to the newest Gigabyte UD2 bios (i'm on F7c) and use these files.

Public/DSDT-GA-P55M-UD2-9400GT-Corei5750-SpeedStep.aml

This DSDT includes 9400GT DSDT and Speedstep fix.

Check your /Extra and Chameleon boot file version with the ones in this filepack- it's everything I'm using currently- kind of an updated tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip

Public/tonymacx86-GA-P55M-UD2-EFI.zip

Hope these help- I think the KP have to do with using an updated DSDT with an older BIOS version, so make sure to update the bios first. You may not need to change anything else. Good luck- you definitely made the right choice with hardware. ;)

I recommend adding "-v debug=0x100" to the kernel flags in com.apple.Boot.plist so you know wants going on when it kernel panics.

Now the followings helped me on my 2 ud2 computers but they may not effect you.

Don't use the 2 usb slots next to the ps2 slot
remove the dvd/cd rom drive(Unfortunately, that was causing my computer to kernel panic but it may just be my model)
If that doesn't help try booting with just 2gbs of ram and reboot with 4gbs. My computer wasn't recognizing all 4gbs or something because once I booted 2gb then 4gb everything seemed to start working correctly.

Both of my ud2's run incredibly stable. The one I'm on right now has been powered on straight for a week. I haven't had any hiccups or problems once I did the above but it seems certain things can be different depending on the build. I hope you figure it out! I know I was incredibly annoyed when I was having problems like the ones above. :D

tonymacx86 said:
Since you have the exact same setup as me, try updating to the newest Gigabyte UD2 bios (i'm on F7c) and use these files.

Check your /Extra and Chameleon boot file version with the ones in this filepack- it's everything I'm using currently- kind of an updated tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip

Hope these help- I think the KP have to do with using an updated DSDT with an older BIOS version, so make sure to update the bios first. You may not need to change anything else. Good luck- you definitely made the right choice with hardware. ;)

tony, thanks for the files and the tips. I have couple questions before I proceed:
-Should I follow your guides to removing the PlatformUUID.kext and moving Chameleon/DSDT/Extras to the EFI partition before using your files?
-For the PlatformUUID, would it just be a matter of putting my ID in the com.apple.Boot.plist?
-After creating the EFI partition, can I just drop everything from that zip file there? I assume the DSDT in the zip file is the same one in the first link.

I'll try to upgrade the BIOS and replace the files tonight, thanks again!

sakasune said:
tonymacx86 said:

tony, thanks for the files and the tips. I have couple questions before I proceed:
-Should I follow your guides to removing the PlatformUUID.kext and moving Chameleon/DSDT/Extras to the EFI partition before using your files?
-For the PlatformUUID, would it just be a matter of putting my ID in the com.apple.Boot.plist?
-After creating the EFI partition, can I just drop everything from that zip file there? I assume the DSDT in the zip file is the same one in the first link.

I'll try to upgrade the BIOS and replace the files tonight, thanks again!

You'll only need to do the EFI Partiion if you want- you can always just use the files in the root + /Extra folder instead. The Platform UUID is exactly like you said- or just use mine- it's not going to make any difference, as the new Chameleon boot in the zip injects UUID automatically. To be safe, use your disk's UUID as the post states. Hope this helps!

I am getting a "boot1: error" message (from Chameleon?)

I updated the BIOS to f7c and redid all the BIOS settings (it booted fine). I replaced the UUID with mine and followed the steps for creating the EFI partition and copied everything from your zip file to the EFI partition. Is the DSDT.aml supposed to be in the root of the EFI partition or in the Extra folder? The guide for the EFI partition says your root directory - but I tried both (tried it with the DSDT that was in Extra in there, and also tried the DSDT from the other link in the root).

The full output is:
boot0: GPT
boot0: testing
boot0: testing
boot0: done
boot1: error

I have to boot from your P55 CD to make the changes and every time I reboot the BIOS settings go back to default. Is there a way to undo the EFI work? Do I just copy the files back to the Snow Leopard drive and mark that as active via the Terminal?

Edit: In retrospect I should have tried your files on the root drive before (or try my files on the EFI partition first).

Double Edit: Also remembered I didn't really perform step 3 in the EFI (Install Chameleon to EFI Partition) because I thought I was just copying boot to the EFI (re-reading I now notice the 'dd' command - wondering if I missed something important). I noticed your com.apple.Boot.plist did not have the DSDT line but I tried it both with and without it and no luck.

I think I have my system in working order again...and somehow fixed the problem! *knock on wood* For the record, this is what I did:
-copy the DSDT, boot, and Extra folder back to the Snow Leopard drive. Reboot.
-I still have a crappy resolution. Put GraphicsEnabler=Yes back into the com.apple.Boot.plist and I'm back to 1920x1080.
-Realized I have two DSDTs on the SL drive (still exist on the EFI partition too) - one in the root, one in Extra. Before this mess, I had mine in the root so I deleted the one in Extra (they are the same).
-Reboot -> Kernel panic
-boot off CD, replace DSDT in Extra. Reboot off HDD fine. Delete DSDT in root.
-boot off HDD fine, deleted everything on EFI partition and reboot to be sure. still fine :)

A couple things - my UUID seems to have changed. I tried moving the PlatformUUID.kext back into /Extra/Extensions/ and rebuilt the cache. iTunes prompted me with the EULA again and Time Machine warned that the drive was used on a different computer. I agreed to the EULA and allowed TM to continue - neither problem came back :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back