CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 780
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I currently have a GTX 970 in my Hackintosh. I'm planning to get a new GPU in the next few months, and I would like to make the switch to AMD, if at all possible.

My reasons for wanting an AMD card are a bit more complicated than I want to get into here. Suffice to say, I use a number of niche/uncommon applications under Windows, and these applications are designed to work with AMD GPU's. While they do run under nVidia, they have a number of annoying graphical glitches.

Looking at the Buyer's Guide, literally every single recommended graphics card is an nVidia model. I know that Hackintosh compatibility with AMD is quite poor at the moment, but just how bad is it? What is the most powerful AMD card that will currently run under OS X?

I currently have a GTX 970 in my Hackintosh. I'm planning to get a new GPU in the next few months, and I would like to make the switch to AMD, if at all possible.

My reasons for wanting an AMD card are a bit more complicated than I want to get into here. Suffice to say, I use a number of niche/uncommon applications under Windows, and these applications are designed to work with AMD GPU's. While they do run under nVidia, they have a number of annoying graphical glitches.

Looking at the Buyer's Guide, literally every single recommended graphics card is an nVidia model. I know that Hackintosh compatibility with AMD is quite poor at the moment, but just how bad is it? What is the most powerful AMD card that will currently run under OS X?
As Fl0rian's sticky thread Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards discusses, the AMD cards have minor problem(s) to plain not working. The AMD cards that work, have sleep/wake-up broken. I'm using R9 280X and 280 in two of my systems.

However, the Nvidia cards listed in the Buyer's Guide, although working, require the Nvidia web drivers (and, optionally, the CUDA drivers) for Yosemite or El Capitan. Not a big deal, but one can not update to Apple's latest release without waiting for Nvidia to release their updated drivers for that OS X build number. Again, no big deal. The Mac Pro owners, who also have flashed PC cards, have the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back