i7-3770K
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I took the opportunity to collect about 200 of the geekbench scores from the recent 'Post your GeekBench scores' thread. I've also cherry-picked a few Ivy Bridge and nice Sandy Bridge posts from the Golden- and User-builds categories. Along with these scores, I also collected the CPU, speed, motherboard and RAM. I've put together some charts below.

This first one simply plots the GB scores vs. clock speed. I've color-coded the points by processor.

GB%20by%20GHz%20by%20cpu.png

Note, I've only included 64-bit GB scores. Also, I believe a number of people have reported GB scores for machines that have been OC'ed, but they only reported the base-clock speed. Where this was absolutely obvious, I omitted them from these charts. However, to avoid throwing the baby out with the bath-water, I was very lenient with the data that was there. You can see the resulting pile-up at the 3.4 GHz mark. I believe that more than a few of those systems are probably OC'ed, but their owners didn't state that when they posted their scores.

Note also that I lumped together the locked and unlocked versions of each chip. So, the i7-2600 and i7-2600K, for example, are considered together.

Interesting to see how linearly the GB scores are affected by increases in clock-speeds. in fact, from this data, I would say it is clear that for a given CPU, one can expect a GB score roughly equivalent to their clock speed time a CPU-specific multiplier:

i5-2500 : 3,000 GB/GHz
i7-2600 : 3,700 GB/GHz
i7-3770 : 4,100 GB/GHz (there are very few data points on this one)
i7-870 : 3,700 GB/GHz
i7-980 : 4,700 GB/GHz

So for example, a i7-2600K running at 4.5GHz should expect a GeekBench score of about 4.5 GHz x 3,700 GB/GHz or 16,650.

If your machine's GB/GHz rating is significantly above this please share your build recipe!. If your machine is significantly beneath the GB/GHz score shown above, I would have a look to see where you're leaving performance on the table. In particular, there is a i7-2600-based machine with a GB score of only about 6,000. Whoever owns this rig is essentially leaving half their investment unused. (though, this is probably the most extreme example).

Here's another chart showing the range of GB/GHz values for the more popular CPUs. This also includes only 64-bit GB scores. For each chip there is a max, min and average GB/GHz rating from the data collected. Some of these chips only have a single data-point, but the results are interesting anyway.

GB%20per%20GHz%20by%20CPU.png

Note that the vertical axis is GeekBench score divided by clock speed (GB/GHz), not just the raw GB score.

Note, I've also included another metric on a secondary axis (on the right) which is the GB score per Watt. This is based on each chip's TDP (Thermal Design Power), and more accurately measures the amount of cooling required for the chip's operation, but serves as a nice (but not perfect) proxy of a chip's power requirements.

A couple of other interesting observations from the data collected:

• Most of you are rocking the i7-2600K (by a large margin), next most popular CPU would be the i5-2500K[/*:m:3v07ifgf]
  • A LOT of people have spent $$$ for a unlocked cpu that they never OC :)[/*:m:3v07ifgf]
  • The motherboard selection appears to make less of a difference than I would have thought in terms of GeekBench scores. In fact, I cannot see any obvious correlation of performance vs. motherboard at all.[/*:m:3v07ifgf]
  • There are way too few data-points for the Ivy Bridge chips yet, but they look very promising and I would expect their numbers to jump noticeably once ML is upon us.[/*:m:3v07ifgf]

I would like to say that building/tuning specifically for a GB score is probably not as important as I am suggesting in this post. I think it is always important to look at the common use of each machine and tune for that. In many cases, this may require investment/tuning for disk speeds or GPU capability, which are completely ignored by GB.

However, that being said, I think that by examining a machine performance, as measured by the GB score vs. GHz of clock speed and comparing to the figures above, one can identify issues in the build process. For example, not having correct kernel, kexts, etc. for the CPU/mobo. There is no obvious reason to not tune for these things when the investment is already made!

If there is interest, I may offer to setup a web-application to allow people to enter their own GB scores and perhaps other metrics (with more metrics about their systems, in fact), and update this dataset and also see how their system compares to others' and perhaps provide clues to why there are differences. I wish there was more data about RAM speeds, for example.

Finally, if Tony is interested and can offer up a OpenID service, then I could password protect the whole thing with the same passwords everyone already has here (without revealing to anyone–not even me–what that is). This would allow people to manage their metrics on an ongoing basis.

EDIT: 2012-07-17 Updated with a few more data points (both charts)

CaptainH00K said:
Very cool, thanks for the work!

Here's my recent geekbench with my 2600K at stock, still haven't OC'd it yet but i will.
Seems to fall right inline with your plots at 13760.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/796833

That is a very nice score for 3.4GHz, giving you a GB/GHz rating of over 4000. Are you running Lion or ML? This is one factor that I wish I had better stats on, as I do believe this makes a difference. I am hoping the ML gives us closer to SL performance on Sandy Bridge, and even better performance on Ivy Bridge.

Do you have a build description post somewhere? I think we can learn from your build.

I'm running Lion 10.7.3.

I think Turbo kicks in and ups my multiplier to 3.8ghz when my processing goes full speed. I noticed it first in windows when stress testing with IBT and LinX, then in OSX checking HWMonitor.

I haven't done a build description yet as i'm still to finalize all my parts (wanting to get one more graphics card running with my GTX580 for davinci resolve) but i'm using my 2600K with a Z77X-UD5H as my sig says so no DSDT or anything. Was basically plug and play except for some issues with my first set of ram i had to replace due to one stick being faulty.

32-bit GeekBench
i5-2500k (no OC [default speed is 3.3ghz]- just turbo (Mac OSX reports it as 3.69ghz in system profiler))
8GB 1600mhz RAM

I got 9787. How does that compare? Also, how much does 64-bit vs. 32-bit impact scores?

PS: I think you should mention RAM speed/amount somewhere in your original post as they comprise half of your GeekBench score! For example, my 2500k by itself scores 8157 for integer performance and 13667 for floating point, for an average of 10912 GeekBench points - but my score is brought way down by my RAM, which scored an average 7248 points. I think processor is weighted a little stronger than RAM is, but it is still definitely an important factor in GB score.

sonicseamus said:
32-bit GeekBench
i5-2500k (no OC [default speed is 3.3ghz]- just turbo (Mac OSX reports it as 3.69ghz in system profiler))
8GB 1600mhz RAM

I got 9787. How does that compare? Also, how much does 64-bit vs. 32-bit impact scores?

PS: I think you should mention RAM speed/amount somewhere in your original post as they comprise half of your GeekBench score! For example, my 2500k by itself scores 8157 for integer performance and 13667 for floating point, for an average of 10912 GeekBench points - but my score is brought way down by my RAM, which scored an average 7248 points. I think processor is weighted a little stronger than RAM is, but it is still definitely an important factor in GB score.

@ 3.3GHz your i5 is looking good with a score of 9787. And, if you used the 64-bit test, you'll likely have a nice, higher-than average score. I've seen about a 8% rise in GB scores when comparing 32-bit to 64-bit scores.

You're absolutely right about the RAM, sadly, many people do not report their RAM speeds, so I couldn't include that as a factor. I'd be willing to bet it will make a difference.

Great stuff here- we should have user submitted Geekbench url, then we could do all of this in the backend of the site and have live results!

:headbang:

Awesome, thanks!

This is good, but the only thing I think is missing is the differentiation between 32 bit and 64 bit geekbench.

For example, on 32 bit geekbench, I get about 2k less on my OC'd 2500k than the 64 bit version.

I feel like including both in one average is an unreliable result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back