Contribute
Register

Starting over? How do I get back to a plain jane windows machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H87N-WIFI
CPU
Intel i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After several months of not using my current set up and changing priorities I want to hit reset. Been trying to find some information but haven't found a lot that's been to helpful. I currently have 2 ssd's one with windows and the other with Mac. I want to basically clear both of the ssd's and install windows 10 and only run that (I currently have chimera to dual boot). I created a bootable usb with windows 10 however anytime I try to go into my bios and boot from it nothing happens and then it goes straight into mac OS. It's been months, actually probably close to a year and half now since I've booted and I can't get either OS to actually start. Is there any way to hit reset and get back to a starting point where I just have windows 10 installed?

anyone? pleeeeease!

First disconnect the macOS drive and the GTX 760. Leave the Windows drive as is. Boot to bios and load the optimized defaults and set to use integrated graphics instead of PEG plus whatever other changes you'll need for Win10. Set the USB as first in the boot order. Save and exit bios. Shut down and plug in the Windows USB installer and do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. You can now get the Nvidia 760 drivers for Windows from their site and install them. After that is done you can shutdown, connect the macOS SSD and GTX 760. Boot up again and format it (SSD) for use with Windows via disk management.

First disconnect the macOS drive and the GTX 760. Leave the Windows drive as is. Boot to bios and load the optimized defaults and set to use integrated graphics instead of PEG plus whatever other changes you'll need for Win10. Set the USB as first in the boot order. Save and exit bios. Shut down and plug in the Windows USB installer and do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. You can now get the Nvidia 760 drivers for Windows from their site and install them. After that is done you can shutdown, connect the macOS SSD and GTX 760. Boot up again and format it (SSD) for use with Windows via disk management.

I'll give this a try, one current issue I'm having is that when I try to boot using the USB I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor, like there's nothing happening. Will report back.

Well now I seem more f***ed than before. I turned to integrated graphics and loaded optimized defaults. Unplugged the graphics card and mac ssd and now when I reboot to the USB my monitor says I have no input, my mobo is not putting out any graphics at all.... now I can't see anything.... suggestions now?

Getting into the BIOS/UEFI is some progress. Was your Windows install ever booting normally when you were using Chimera bootloader and trying to dual boot ? If you have access to another working PC, it would probably be best to create a new Windows 10 installer. You need to be booting it legacy and not UEFI. You could also disable UEFI booting in the BIOS. Make sure its in a rear panel USB 2.0 port and not USB 3.0. If you have a Windows DVD and an optical drive (internal or external) you should be able to boot from that to reinstall Windows. You can download the Windows 10 iso legally from MS website and burn a DVD from it on another computer running Windows if need be. Try to get the USB to install first.

Would also suggest you create a new thread in either Windows or Multi booting so Going Bald could give you some counsel.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/windows.132/

Last edited:
Getting into the BIOS/UEFI is some progress. Was your Windows install ever booting normally when you were using Chimera bootloader and trying to dual boot ? If you have access to another working PC, it would probably be best to create a new Windows 10 installer. You need to be booting it legacy and not UEFI. You could also disable UEFI booting in the BIOS. Make sure its in a rear panel USB 2.0 port and not USB 3.0. If you have a Windows DVD and an optical drive (internal or external) you should be able to boot from that to reinstall Windows. You can download the Windows 10 iso legally from MS website and burn a DVD from it on another computer running Windows if need be. Try to get the USB to install first.

Would also suggest you create a new thread in either Windows or Multi booting so Going Bald could give you some counsel.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/windows.132/

I will for sure go crosspost and get some more input. I definitely had a normal windows boot before, I'm just unsure if a lack of updates and use has caused some extreme sluggishness or what.

Current status at the end of the night: I try to force to boot to the USB and it just boots to my windows 7. I try to open the installer and it takes about an hour to finally come up, I start going through the process and get to a page where it says it's making sure I'm ready to install and it will take a minute and that never ends, I let it sit for about three hours and it never made any progress, I also never got options for a clean install or to format the drive. Would it be prudent to maybe boot into mac and format the drive that windows is currently on then power down, unplug the mac drive and then try to boot to the USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back